Wide Body Avro Atlantic

Started by kitnut617, January 11, 2010, 10:40:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitnut617

Quote from: Pablo1965 on August 11, 2011, 03:40:42 PM

I also have a summer break, but with my family in the beach, you know, my wife, her mother,my daughter,  can I help you with your work? I need relax.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

kitnut617

I've not forgotten about this project, but today I got the kit the thread is supposed to be about, the 'wide-body' variant.

As soon as I've finished my AV-19A project I will be getting back to this one, along with the new variant.

kitnut617

I've been doing some matching-up-of-parts with this project and have found some very pleasant surprises along the way.

The first is the wide-body variant looks like will be quite an easy conversion, the Vulcan wing will fit onto the fuselage without much surgery and relatively little to do.  I've found that if I line up where the u/c leg hinge is on both the Vulcan wing and 767 wing compared to the fuselage, the root leading edge point is in the same place.  Also the slot in the 767 kit for the wing to fit into has almost the same shaped and sized chord on both (except the Vulcan wing is much longer towards the rear end). And it  looks like I can get the correct wing incidence too, without it intruding into the cabin space.

On the standard Atlantic, I've decided I want to make it into a true MRTT (that is before the catch-phrase came into being).  I'm going to have my model have wing refueling pods which I'm taking from a H.P. Victor.  But then looking at the Victors underwing fuel tanks it looked like they could fit under the Vulcan wing, and guess what --- they do  :o

It seems that the leading edge sweep of the Victor wing where the tanks are positioned is very close to the leading edge sweep of the inner wing of the Vulcan, and on top of that, the tanks practically follow the wing chord exactly.  All I had to do was move the front edge of the pylon  away from the leading edge and bingo, it fits perfectly.

Back to the wide-body variant, I will have underwing refueling pods as well as a KC-10 style Flying Boom under the fuselage rear end

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kitnut617

Thread resurrection time:

I've restarted my Atlantic project in a GB over on Beyond the Sprues forum.  The GB is for anything from a book, movie or game so as the Atlantic appears in the Nevil Shute book 'In the Wet', I was able to join with what I had already started with.

But it's moving along nicely at the moment, been doing a bunch of rethinking on it, mostly working out how to change the wheel trucks to have four larger diameter wheels instead of the eight smaller ones.  It involved elongating the wheel bays to the rear 5mm.

Right now I'm working out my wing to fuselage connection. I'll be drawing it out in my AutoCAD program as I realized most of it can be done there instead of my original plan of using a jig on the model and measuring it physically, then removing it, then repeating the process a number of times.

Here's some new pics of it, got both wings up to the same level of conversion, I went with a pair of Freightdog Olympus 202 tail pipes instead of the brass tail pipes I was making up (save those for another project).  I've fitted all the rear fuselage, just needs some sanding and PSR and I've got the starboard side of the forward fuselage sorted. I found though I had glued the port side on with a bit of a kink to it, which became apparent when the starboard side was attached.  So I had to sort that out.  Made some castings of some parts I wanted to use but not take from the kits they came from. Cockpit and seats come from a Welsh Models 737 and the engine fronts from an Aircraft in Miniature Valiant (these will be converted into Orenda Iroquois engine fronts)

PR19_Kit

That's going to one BIG model Robert!  ;D

What are the resin leading edges for on the wing please?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

It's a nice looking aeroplane
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kerick

Why does the plan view make me think Skyhawk?
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Mossie

Looking good Robert!

Watch out for those Flightpath B.1 wing inserts, have you added anything for them to attach too?.  I had quite a lot of trouble with them in my AEW conversion, every time I puttied them, the act of sanding would cause it to split.  It unfortunately led to it being put on the perpetual back burner. 
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

kitnut617

Thanks guys,

Kit, as Simon has eluded to, they're part of the Flightpath Vulcan B1 conversion.  The fellow who I contacted who gave me all my info (well 99% of it) told me that had the Atlantic gone ahead it would have got whatever the Vulcan got for wings. This fellow BTW, worked in the Avro drafting office and had actually done quite a bit of the drawings found in the official brochures the Air Ministry received.  Unfortunately, he died a couple of years ago so my direct line with the source has evaporated.

Simon, I don't know if Flightpath modified they masters since you got hold of your conversion, because I can't see I will have a problem fixing the edges to the wing, they have quite a big step to the mating surfaces, top and bottom.  I did get this conversion about 10 years ago though ---

PR19_Kit

Oh right, that makes sense I guess.

I had one of the very early sets of what became the Flightpath B1 conversion sets, and to put it mildly, it was rubbish. Yours looks a lot better engineered and moulded.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

All I've had to do with them was to carefully scrape the inside lip of the cut-outs so that the outsides of each wing part finishes flush with the new edges, it's easier to do it that way than to try filing the little ledge the new edges have.

Mossie

Quote from: kitnut617 on January 18, 2015, 11:11:09 AM
Thanks guys,

Kit, as Simon has eluded to, they're part of the Flightpath Vulcan B1 conversion.  The fellow who I contacted who gave me all my info (well 99% of it) told me that had the Atlantic gone ahead it would have got whatever the Vulcan got for wings. This fellow BTW, worked in the Avro drafting office and had actually done quite a bit of the drawings found in the official brochures the Air Ministry received.  Unfortunately, he died a couple of years ago so my direct line with the source has evaporated.

Simon, I don't know if Flightpath modified they masters since you got hold of your conversion, because I can't see I will have a problem fixing the edges to the wing, they have quite a big step to the mating surfaces, top and bottom.  I did get this conversion about 10 years ago though ---

Robert, I got mine a couple of years ago and they look the same as yours.  They've got a substantial step, but it's a long section that's removed from the wing which tends to flex slightly even with the location "tab", which over time popped the insert slightly, cracking the filler.  I'm a bit heavy handed and tend to handle my models a lot so you might not have the same problem, but if you do I'd suggest popping them out, packing the gap and also giving a mating surface to bind to, possibly even pinning it.  With mine, I'm probably going to have to put a very thin plasticard shim over the top and blend it in as it continues to happen despite packing the gap.

Sorry to come in late. :-\  Hopefully you won't have the same problem. :thumbsup:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

kitnut617

Quote from: Mossie on January 18, 2015, 01:40:29 PM
Quote from: kitnut617 on January 18, 2015, 11:11:09 AM
Thanks guys,

Kit, as Simon has eluded to, they're part of the Flightpath Vulcan B1 conversion.  The fellow who I contacted who gave me all my info (well 99% of it) told me that had the Atlantic gone ahead it would have got whatever the Vulcan got for wings. This fellow BTW, worked in the Avro drafting office and had actually done quite a bit of the drawings found in the official brochures the Air Ministry received.  Unfortunately, he died a couple of years ago so my direct line with the source has evaporated.

Simon, I don't know if Flightpath modified they masters since you got hold of your conversion, because I can't see I will have a problem fixing the edges to the wing, they have quite a big step to the mating surfaces, top and bottom.  I did get this conversion about 10 years ago though ---

Robert, I got mine a couple of years ago and they look the same as yours.  They've got a substantial step, but it's a long section that's removed from the wing which tends to flex slightly even with the location "tab", which over time popped the insert slightly, cracking the filler.  I'm a bit heavy handed and tend to handle my models a lot so you might not have the same problem, but if you do I'd suggest popping them out, packing the gap and also giving a mating surface to bind to, possibly even pinning it.  With mine, I'm probably going to have to put a very thin plasticard shim over the top and blend it in as it continues to happen despite packing the gap.

Sorry to come in late. :-\  Hopefully you won't have the same problem. :thumbsup:

I'll keep it in mind Simon, they're not glued in yet.  For the Vulcan B.1 though, the wing tip end of the resin is the new wing tip location, but mine will have the wing extension you see in my pics, maybe with that it won't 'pop' apart so easily.

Captain Canada

This going to be epic ! Love the look of this one. Great thread revival for sure !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?