Started by Brian da Basher, January 11, 2010, 04:08:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian da Basher

Painting is done, now on to decals!
:cheers:
Brian da Basher

ysi_maniac

Quote from: Taiidantomcat on January 12, 2010, 08:54:06 PM
Can't believe how "right" that looks... incredible.
Absolutely agreed!
Love this model :wub: :wub: :wub:
Will die without understanding this world.

Weaver

That's awfully pretty.... :wub:

Just goes to show you can't even spoil the good looks of an Airbus by sticking Boeing bits on it......... :wacko: ;)
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Brian da Basher

After W.W. II, Howard Hughes decided to get away from it all and moved to Marie Byrd Land in Antarctica. His money not only ensured Antarctica would become an independent nation, but it also made certain that the new country would have an aircraft industry. Thus the firm of Aero Omnibus was born.

Surprisingly, Antarctica was a huge tourist attraction because the capitol, Las Grietas, was a place where anything goes. The saying "What Happens in Las Grietas Stays in Las Grietas" became common. Howard Hughes wanted his own aircraft to carry the tourist trade, and Aero Omnibus got to work.

Called the A319 because the blueprints were finished just before a critical 3:30 meeting, the new Aero Omnibus propliner was just the ticket for the new Antarctic airline to grab the penguin's share of the business. The A319 was powered by four Emperor engines and could carry 120 passengers and a crew of 6. Heat ducted from the engines kept the cabin comfortable and the wings and tail ice-free. The A319 also had retractable ski-wheel landing gear so it could land on ice and snow.

Aero Omnibus A319s were in service for the next 25 years and phased out only after Howard Hughes passed away in 1975. The country was taken over by Greenpeace which ended all tourism and turned the continent into a nature preserve. This travel agent's desk model found in the icebox of an abandoned office is all that's left of the Aero Omnibus A319 and the Antarctic penguin logo ("Fly the penguin skies!") that delighted everyone who saw it.
Brian da Basher

Brian da Basher

I bet you didn't see these markings coming, huh?

The decals came from spares, except for the penguins which were custom-printed for me by frank2056. Frank's a true class act but he doesn't always wear a suit and tie while browsing What-If. It's rumored last Friday he had on khakis and a polo shirt.  ;)

I always say that decals make any airliner project and I owe Frank a huge tip o' the pin for putting these together for me. Thanks, Frank!

Here's some detail shots of the nose and tail so you can get a closer look at those penguins.
Brian da Basher

Brian da Basher

The entire model was brush-painted by hand with acrylics, Polly Scale Reefer White mostly. The orange is a custom mix and I used Gunship Gray for the inside of the windshield and passenger windows. Speaking of windows, this kit comes with the windows as holes, so I filled them with white glue and then painted the back side of the glue gray before buttoning up the fuselage.
Brian da Basher

Brian da Basher

I started this project on Saturday and it was an uncomplicated and fun build. I hope you enjoyed it as much as I enjoyed bringing it to you.
Brian da Basher

Weaver

Ha, that's excellent Brian, well done!  :thumbsup: :wub: :bow:

Why does orange make otherwise boring white schemes look so good eh?

With your permission, may I post some of your pics and the backstory on another (non-modelling) forum please? The reason is that the denizens thereof call themselves "Penguiners" and collect humourous penguin stories/pictures/references.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

John Howling Mouse

You're FINISHED already?!?!  Amazing.  What a great idea.  Man, I'm jealous at your ability to pump out one great design/build after another.

:bow:   :thumbsup:
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

nev

Zoinks, that was quick!  Reminds me a little bit of a P-3, but with much longer wings.

Any chance of some pics of the retractable skis?
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Superb, simply superb. Quality, orginality and 'vision' all combined with Warp Speed building ability.... Are you certain you're from Earth, and not some SuperBeing from the planet Whiffery Prime ??

And, Nev, if you ever quote Scoobie Doo here again, I'm going to drive over to your house and confiscate you airbrush and your kits - (well, the ones I want anyways)....
Quote from: nev on January 13, 2010, 10:39:34 PM
Zoinks,
..... That is simply 'WRONG' and you know it  :blink:

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

Brian da Basher

I'm really glad you enjoyed "flying the penguin skies". Nev, I thought about gluing the skis from an Operation High Jump C-47 to the bottom of the engine nacelles, but then I realized there was plenty of room for them inside.

Weaver, feel free to share this with others who appreciate penguins.
Brian da Basher

Mossie

Lovely job Bri & quick as always, love those Penguins & as I mentioned before, those old engines somehow look great on the modern airframe! :wub:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Caveman

secretprojects forum migrant

The Rat

Brian, I'm betting that there's a neighbourhood in Pittsburgh that's relatively snow free due to all the heat turned out by your energy. That is a great build, made all the more impressive by the swiftness of its construction.  :thumbsup: :cheers:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr