USAS Edison

Started by proditor, January 12, 2010, 04:24:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sauragnmon

Sweet Zombie Jesus - that is absolutely off the rocket, Pro - KEEP IT UP!
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

Caveman

what is mounted on the stern?
secretprojects forum migrant

Mossie

Looks like a Kazon fighter from Star Trek Voyager.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Brian da Basher

Love the steampunking, the electro-cannons and those wings!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

proditor

Quote from: Mossie on January 23, 2010, 07:26:58 AM
Looks like a Kazon fighter from Star Trek Voyager.

Ooooo, good eye!

The shape was funky, and with a little work, it'll be a back um...generator or something.  It's sort of nebulous at this point.  :)

I found a model for a steam powered road layer in a used toy store, and 5 bucks later, it has sacrificed it's steam cannister to the battleship for the wings area.

Thanks for all of the kind words guys, it's very appreciated!

Next plan, the back deck is going to house some sort of aether torpedo launchers.

I think...

More updates once I get some more pictures.  I have at least settled on the paint plan, which is an adaptation of the Great White Fleet look.

Mossie

The Airfix Trevithick steam loco might be useful parts donor, especially if you can pick it up cheaply.
http://www.squadron.com/ItemDetails.asp?item=AX05871

The beam engine might be useful too, although probably not as much:
http://www.squadron.com/ItemDetails.asp?item=AX05870
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Weaver

Dapol also produce the old Airfix Stephenson's Rocket, which is a fine source of 1/76th steampunk bits:

http://www.dapol.co.uk/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=120&category_id=25&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=59

They also produce lots of other interesting gear for whiffery, so check out the resof their website.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

nev

Ooh, like the gearing on the feathers...
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Joe C-P

In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

proditor

Okay, new pics!

I decided I didn't like the gear/Kazon ship combo on the back, so I moved it to the bottom for the lower bridge (Or course, right?)  I also found enough gears and winders to make one more Electro-cannon, which you can see in the upper left of the pic.

Then it was time to get some engines on this sucker!  I mean, the wings are fine and all, but what fun would this be without additional gigantic rockets?!?!  The main engine is from a GI Joe toy I think, and the side engines are from a Zoid.  The tail planes are the wings from a 1/144 Jaguar.

It looks cool with just the lower bridge and engines, but I also contemplated bottom weapons.  I cobbled together a blastgun, grabbed a toy missile launcher, and put them in place. (Next 2 pics)

Too much or just right?

Sauragnmon

I think she looks good like that, with the extras along the bottom - fitting for an airship to have a few downward-firing weapons and such, really.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

Weaver

Okay, by way of constructive criticism, a couple of points strike me:

1. in between the fins and the lower bridge, that rear blast gun doesn't have much of an arc of fire,

2. the missile launcher looks cheesy.

Suggestions:

1. Put the rear blast gun on the bottom of the lower bridge, so that it "superfires" (underfires?) the front gun and the fins,

2. Add bomb bays fore and aft of the lower bridge. These bays should be arrays of open vertical tubes with bombs visible inside them. The simple way to do it would be to stick a load of short lengths of Evergreen tubing onto the hull and then put the chopped-off noses of spares box bombs in them. It doesn't matter if the noses arn't all the same: different types of bomb, right?

Just my two-pennorth....
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

pyro-manic

IMO, those lower weapons aren't nearly as good as the cannons you did previously. They look a bit soft and plasticky. I like Weaver's bomb-tube idea, and maybe a fighter bay?
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

proditor

Quote from: pyro-manic on January 25, 2010, 05:15:27 AM
IMO, those lower weapons aren't nearly as good as the cannons you did previously. They look a bit soft and plasticky. I like Weaver's bomb-tube idea, and maybe a fighter bay?

Heh, that's because they are soft and plasticky.  ;)  I wasn't a huge fan of them, but I figured I'd see how they looked and I agree that they look...well, not as cool. 

I like the bomb-bay, but I may have to give a bigger nod to the origins of this steampunk monstrosity and install a Hanger, probably forward of the bridge, so that it becomes just a little more like the Space Battlehip Yamato that inspired it. 

And yeah, the missile launcher looks like crap unfortunately.  Still hoping something will work good for torpedoes, but the orginal idea only looks a little better than the missile launcher, so I may jsut chill while I wait for all fo the putty to set.  Plus, I have days of PSR in my future, so I should get a chance to veg and let the model tell me what it wants to be.

Weaver

For torpedoes, how about brass tubes with cones visible in the slash-cut ends of them (cones being more "aerial" than domes), and loads of pipes, tubes etc, feeding into them? Put it on an inverted turntable with a manned aiming station below it (or hung off to one side). The aiming station could have an upside-down binocular periscope connected to a stereoscopic rangefinder.

- Indiana Jones