Mitsubishi Ki-46 Dinah

Started by GTX, January 16, 2010, 12:58:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GTX

Hi folks,

The Mitsubishi Ki-46 Dinah has always been one of my favourites -especially the streamlined Dinah III:

What about some whiffs though?

Maybe an engine change - say a pair of Mitsubishi Ha-43 (same engine as used on the Mitsubishi A7M Sam) or 2,200 hp each or even a jet version?

Other thoughts?

regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Taiidantomcat

One of the nicest looking prop planes ever!

I was working on this but its in the closet now behind another dozen projects:

"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

ChernayaAkula

Apparently it was about the same weight as the Me 262 and a good deal lighter than the Ar 234. So fitting two Jumo 004s should produce an even sleeker-looking, even faster aircraft.  :wub:

TT, I hope you'll continue your Dinah/Lightning bash one day. It has so much potential!  :bow:
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

dy031101

What-if I found online......

Fictional aircraft based on Ki-46-III, meant to be carried by and launched from submarines.

ESM dome under the fuselage, folding wings, engines changed to an inline type, and floats that retract into the rear of engine necelles when not in use.
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

Taiidantomcat

Quote from: dy031101 on January 16, 2010, 06:07:46 PM
What-if I found online......

Fictional aircraft based on Ki-46-III, meant to be carried by and launched from submarines.

ESM dome under the fuselage, folding wings, engines changed to an inline type, and floats that retract into the rear of engine necelles when not in use.

That is just plain (plane?) gorgeous. I love the modified front windscreen   :cheers:

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Daryl J.

Ever since the kit of the Dinah III came out, I've wanted to do a USMC version with a reconnaissance suite in overall gloss sea blue for the Korean Theater.

Daryl J.

Maverick

I remember seeing a whiffed Luftwaffe Dinah with large ? radials and an Me-262 tail assembly.  Looked very nice indeed, when I get home I'll try and find the pic.

Regards,

Mav

Weaver

How about a boosted version, with the engine power augmented by a couple of those engine-driven compressor-plus-burner setups, that the Russians played with?

What am I on about? Here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorjet Note that the Japanese were interested in the concept.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

ysi_maniac

Quote from: Taiidantomcat on January 16, 2010, 04:21:29 PM
One of the nicest looking prop planes ever!

I was working on this but its in the closet now behind another dozen projects:

OK, you can finish it!  :wub: :bow:
Love this concept. It can fit in Alt Luftwaffe GB or in Spanish Civil War GB or ... :thumbsup:
Will die without understanding this world.

sequoiaranger

...brewing up a whif.

Just resurrecting this thread I found whilst looking for another. Although "down the pike a ways" of my current list of future projects, the Dinah is a FABULOUS base for a "Twin-engined Zero" whif. The Dinah is a small twin, a Mitsubishi product of about the same design era as the Zero, and with a little work will be PERFECT.

I am going to take a non-stepped-screen Dinah, put a Zero cockpit atop it, shorten and "solidify" the nose with multiple guns, round off the wingtips, and put a Dauntless tail (shaped like a Zero but with a forward strake) on it. VOILA!

It will look SIMILAR to this painting I found:

I have no idea if the above was a model boxcover, or just a whif painting, but I had something similar in my head for years, and found this--as if someone had dug into my head and extracted it. Mine will be "Thai", with the elephantine national markings, and maybe "tiger stripes" camouflage.

So..Taiidantomcat---WHERE IS YOUR DINAH/ P-38 WHIFF????
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

Taiidantomcat

Still in the closet... I should "just glue it" and get it done... Let me dig it out and see where it is.

Great painting, its always nice when you find something like that and get an even better Idea of how it will look... maybe you and I should do a mini GB.

:o :o More here:

http://hyperscale.com/features/2002/dinahmb_1.htm

After looking at those engines I think my P-38/Dinah is underpowered!!  :wacko:

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Ed S

We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

sequoiaranger

sequoiaranger

There is another pic (green version) of approximately what my upcoming "Zebulon" will look like (down a few posts).

Taiid---I would love to see your progress on your "P-38" Dinah version!