Our own version of Silly Week

Started by philp, January 18, 2010, 08:33:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

philp

You have probably seen the threads for the Real World GB and April Fools GB.  I got this idea while reviewing posts in both.

We should have our own version of Silly Week posted on the main page of the website for the first week of January, 2011.  We can run it the same way ARC does.  In December, we submit articles to the head honcho (just which one of you owns that hat by the way?) of Real World aircraft, tanks, ships, cars, figures and canon Sci-Fi.  Then each day for the first week, these articles are posted on the main page (or in the Forum if that is easier).

This isn't a GB because there is no limit on when the kit was built.  Could be something you did before the Whiff bug bit, something you do in between chopping up kits for that next Whiff special, or even something you build specifically for our Silly Week.

I like the idea of having the articles listed on the main site page with a separate Silly Week thread running where people can go in and comment on the builds.  Notes of, wrong shade of RLM 02, and didn't fix the panel lines or correct the shape of the nose, etc, would be encouraged (but not too nasty as some of us have thin skin).

So, what do you all think?
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

lenny100

Me, I'm dishonest, and you can always trust a dishonest man to be dishonest.
Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to watch out for!!!

beowulf

.............hes a very naughty boy!
allergic to aircraft in grey!
The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time........Bertrand Russell
I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ......Edmund Blackadder

PR19_Kit

Quote from: philp on January 18, 2010, 08:33:53 AM
Could be something you did before the Whiff bug bit,

Eh?  :unsure:

Not sure I can remember that far back, must have been in the 60s sometime........

But a great idea, beat the JMNs at their own game.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Mossie

I think a GB would suffice, we don't need to exactly emulate ARC, just do our own thing.  We don't tend to run articles like they do on ARC, they are a regular feature there, we only have a handful.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

B777LR

Quote from: Mossie on January 19, 2010, 06:26:22 AM
I think a GB would suffice, we don't need to exactly emulate ARC, just do our own thing.  We don't tend to run articles like they do on ARC, they are a regular feature there, we only have a handful.

Speaking of which, how would we do it? Perhaps someone on the moderating team wants to try something similar with an article showing all the finished entries of the secret santa build?

philp

I, personally, would rather have a Silly Week than a GB (see previous track record of completing GBs).

If the site doesn't have the capability to handle articles like ARC or others, we can always create a Silly Week section in the Forum.  People submit to a Moderator that they have x number of builds to post.  The Mod advises them which day they can post them (in order to have new threads/articles each day). 

I personally think this could rub the JMN noses in it on a repeating basis.  I wonder how many of them get frustrated with ARC not running any "serious" articles during that week.  Maybe they will all come over here for that week to see some RW stuff.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

Mossie

That's one thing I'm slightly worried about & it applies to a GB too.  We all hate real JMN's, but I think we can be guilty of inverted snobbery & bung everyone that builds real subjects into the same bunch.  A bit of banter is fine, but I don't think we should alienate the rest of the modelling world.

Please note that this isn't anything I'm directly accusing you of Phil, just something I feel crops up in general from time to time.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Radish

Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

Brian da Basher

Sorry Radish, but your panel lines are all wrong.
:wacko: ;)  :wacko: ;)  :wacko:

Seriously, you do some amazing work and it's always a treat to see more of it, RW or whiff!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

blue520

Why don't we give the idea a test run and have a silly day on April the 1st? It may or may not be workable to have a whole week, one day should give a pointer in one direction or the other.

Supertom

"We can resolve this over tea and fisticuffs!!!"