Your Chance to sway the 2010 Whiffies.

Started by Ed S, January 22, 2010, 09:22:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taiidantomcat

"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

PR19_Kit

Ed S's awesome Tu4/Natterski Russian Mach 1 project, in the Kitbash cateogory I guess.

http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,29600.0.html

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Tuck

If I may be so bold, I'd like to enter my Focke Wulf 129 for your consideration.  Kitbash category....

http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,30190.0.html

"I do this hobby for fun not to be nitpicked, and that's one reason i love this place (What-If) so much, its not necessarily the quality, its the 'spirit' of the build or idea that's important..."-Beowulf

philp

Bold is good.

Only another week or two to nominate so get them in.  Still lots of good backstories, Profilers, ships, cars, figures, sci-fi, dios etc that easily would qualify.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

proditor

In a case of extreme self interest, are all of the GB entries getting auto-nominated?

Roger the Cabin Boy

Phil,

May I nominate Seadude's Hakkanakaubakka ice ship monster thingy, even though the last time I looked, the engine pods were work in progress.  Either in the Ship category or a 'Git R Done' special award if there is to be such a thing, which there oughter, to encourage completion of stonking masterpieces.

The future's so bright, I gotta wear NVGs...

Ed S

I don't toot my own horn often, but I would like to nominate my "Bad Day at the Office" gundam in the "Figure/Robot" category.

http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,30061.0.html

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

philp

Quote from: proditor on January 06, 2011, 11:51:30 AM
In a case of extreme self interest, are all of the GB entries getting auto-nominated?

After review, the Academy has decided to only auto nominate all 2010 GB winners.  Other entries into the GBs will need to be nominated by others with which categories they fit in.  There are several reasons for this decision.  The main one being that there is a chance the tool used for nominations (ie The Poll) may be modified and could possibly limit the number of entries.  This may not happen at all or may not happen until after the Whiffies are concluded.  But it did bring an interesting thought to me.  Last year I basically put every nomination into as many categories as I thought it fit.  This led to several categories with 50+ items to choose from making it that much harder to get to the next round where other categories only had 5 nominees so all of them advanced.  Doesn't seem fair to me that the more popular models (mainly aircraft) would have a harder time getting to the next round.

So, this year the Academy will be reviewing what categories each nomination was actually nominated for and will try to limit them to just the requested.  There may be exceptions to this as I may have picked a different category if I nominated it and may include it there.  Will see how this works.

So, if you saw something in a GB that didn't win (even your build) and want to nominated it for something, go for it.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

philp

Quote from: Roger the Cabin Boy on January 06, 2011, 01:26:53 PM
Phil,

May I nominate Seadude's Hakkanakaubakka ice ship monster thingy, even though the last time I looked, the engine pods were work in progress.  Either in the Ship category or a 'Git R Done' special award if there is to be such a thing, which there oughter, to encourage completion of stonking masterpieces.

Phil,
Still debating this one.  The final categories have been listed (http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,30921.0.html) and the Git R Done category is not in this years Awards.  There is usually one changing category (last year was over/under, year before was Raspberry Ripple, this year is Reversed Wing).  After the first year the Academy decided to review the nominations and pick something that there would be enough builds to fill.  I personally would rather see something like an Annual Phoenix GB to get some of these older builds finished and vote on those but we shall see what ends up in the Nomination thread this year.

Back to Seadude's lovely build.  The rules (what few there are) state that the model/profile/story etc must be posted during the year.  Seadude has stated the build is not complete but has also entered (and won) some contests with it as is.  I think that I would be OK to put it in this years contest but that will mean it would not qualify for next years when it is (hopefully) finally finished.  Same goes for backstories/alt histories.  Several of these have expanded for 2 years or even more.  Yet, they would only qualify to be nominated for one year. 

So, since you nominated it, I will add it to this years list (will you please add a pic and link to it) unless Seadude contacts me and says he would rather defer till he finishes.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

philp

Quote from: Ed S on January 06, 2011, 02:38:32 PM
I don't toot my own horn often, but I would like to nominate my "Bad Day at the Office" gundam in the "Figure/Robot" category.

Ed

Ed and all,
The Academy would have a tendency to put this in the Sci Fi category instead of the Figure category.  Reasoning is that even thought the vehicle looks like a person (ie, 2 arms and 2 legs) it is a vehicle just like any other (AT-AT, Viper, Starship, etc).
Using this logic can get me into trouble though.  I see a 40k Space Marine as a figure but a Dreadnought as a vehicle.  The Armor of a Space Marine may be (or is?) powered so could be considered like a Gundam or Battlemech but I see it more as a figure like the knights of old.

Any one else feel strongly about this one way or the other?  Always happy to hear a persuasive argument that leads to a change.  Course, it may also make you an honorary member of the Academy with assignments to follow.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

proditor

Well, I'd normally defer nominating myself, but I do think I had one build that would at least be in good company in the Sci-fi or Ship category.

USAS Edison.

http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,27095.0.html

Ed S

Quote from: philp on January 06, 2011, 10:09:36 PM
Quote from: Ed S on January 06, 2011, 02:38:32 PM

Ed

Ed and all,
The Academy would have a tendency to put this in the Sci Fi category instead of the Figure category.  Reasoning is that even thought the vehicle looks like a person (ie, 2 arms and 2 legs) it is a vehicle just like any other (AT-AT, Viper, Starship, etc).
Using this logic can get me into trouble though.  I see a 40k Space Marine as a figure but a Dreadnought as a vehicle.  The Armor of a Space Marine may be (or is?) powered so could be considered like a Gundam or Battlemech but I see it more as a figure like the knights of old.

Any one else feel strongly about this one way or the other?  Always happy to hear a persuasive argument that leads to a change.  Course, it may also make you an honorary member of the Academy with assignments to follow.

PHil,

I can see it go either way.  I guess if we ended up with enough of these, we could do a Mecha/Gundum/Transformers type category. 

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

JP Vieira

I would like to nominated myself, why not?  ;D

For best profiler all my work in the Thread Profiling by JP Vieira (from reply 784 in the middle of page 53 and up)

http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,21287.780.html

and for best alternate history the thread The Portuguese Aeronautical industry (all pages because it was started in 2010)

http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,27655.0.html

And getting over with it, I would like to thank myself for my auto-nomination: many thanks  ;D :cheers:

philp

The USAS Edison is definitely Whiffie worthy and a justified nomination.  Probably Sci-Fi and Conversions.

Ed, would love to see enough mech builds for a separate category.

JP,
Your Welcome :thumbsup:
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

Taiidantomcat

I am glad folks are nominating themselves. I try to nominate lots of stuff but some of you are "victims of your own success" I think. I get so used to seeing great models from Ed, Same with JPs profiles. As for the USAS Edison I just plain forgot, I remember that thing dropping my jaw when I first saw it but it never occurred to me to nominate it.

It should also be mentioned that folks should nominate themselves because this site can get pretty busy and sometimes I am amazed at stuff I discover months after it was first posted.

:cheers:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.