Northrop Scorpion FAW.2 - F I N I S H E D !!

Started by Ian the Kiwi Herder, January 30, 2010, 12:35:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Quote from: kitnut617 on February 04, 2010, 12:54:59 PM
I think the Revell kit you are building Ian, is a re-box of the Hobbycraft kit ('course I could be wrong)

I honestly cannot be certain Robert, but AFAIK, the Revell kit is - like their F-101 & F-105 - the Monogram 1:48 kit pantographed down to 1:72 ('course I could be even wrongerer  :blink:)

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

PR19_Kit

There's an H model Scorpion (I think....) in the Air Guard Museum on the other side if the airport to the main terminal at Minneaplis-St. Paul. I didn't realise quite how BIG they were until I stood alongside it, the wings are huge in area, but knife-blade thin, and the engines are so low to the ground it must have been a pig to work on them.

I have the Hobbycraft one, and Ian's looks a lot better moulding to me, I'd go with the pantographing route for its roots.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Weaver

You've got to wonder about the stress life of those long thin wings with those thumping great pods on the end, havn't you? Okay in cruising flight they probably actually help by span-loading the wing, but when maneuvering..... :o
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

ChernayaAkula

Yeah, the F-89 is surprisingly big!  :o

The Revell 1/72 is indeed the Revell-Monogram 1/48 kit pantographed (not sure though how the two companies were related in those days).
The Hobbycraft kit is a re-box of the Academy kit, which is also pretty nice.
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

rickshaw

Quote from: Weaver on February 05, 2010, 04:41:13 AM
You've got to wonder about the stress life of those long thin wings with those thumping great pods on the end, havn't you? Okay in cruising flight they probably actually help by span-loading the wing, but when maneuvering..... :o

I don't think they did much manoeuvring in their pursuit course intercepts.  Just a climb followed by a bit of acceleration/deceleration coupled with some gentle turns when trying to destroy those nasty Soviet bombers.  ;)
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Weaver

Quote from: rickshaw on February 05, 2010, 06:00:33 AM

I don't think they did much manoeuvring in their pursuit course intercepts.  Just a climb followed by a bit of acceleration/deceleration coupled with some gentle turns when trying to destroy those nasty Soviet bombers.  ;)

I think they did a fairly smart turn once they'd launched a Genie..... ;)
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Ian the Kiwi Herder

These photos are already out of date. After I took them, both this and the Rafale were forcibly removed to the paint shed and assaulted with some Humbrol and an Iwata !!

Ian

Confuscious (maybe)

kitnut617

Quote from: Ian the Hunter-Gatherer on February 05, 2010, 12:50:14 AM
Quote from: kitnut617 on February 04, 2010, 12:54:59 PM
I think the Revell kit you are building Ian, is a re-box of the Hobbycraft kit ('course I could be wrong)

I honestly cannot be certain Robert, but AFAIK, the Revell kit is - like their F-101 & F-105 - the Monogram 1:48 kit pantographed down to 1:72 ('course I could be even wrongerer  :blink:)

Ian
It was just the way the bits go together that I thought it might be, so I hooked the kits out that I've got and can see that there is some subtle differences in the small details between them, panel lines and detail in the wheel wheels look a little different.  But the main parts are almost identical.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

rickshaw

Quote from: Weaver on February 05, 2010, 06:14:21 AM
Quote from: rickshaw on February 05, 2010, 06:00:33 AM

I think they did a fairly smart turn once they'd launched a Genie..... ;)

Turn?  Who'd bother turning?  With wings that big you could do quite a nice loop without any troubles I think!  :o

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Before I evicted my loving family of Hunter-Gatherer's from the mild and moist northwest coast for the altogether bleaker climes of the Lincolnshire Wolds, I assaulted both the Scorpion and the Rafale with undercoat(s)....

Next, wheel wells and dangly bits.

Ian

Confuscious (maybe)

The Rat

I'm almost afraid to tell you this Ian, but that thing looks soooooo sexy in black it would be a shame to cover it!  :cheers:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Don't be afraid, Ratty, You should see it in the flesh - so-to-speak - It's effin beautiful !  :banghead:

Ian

Confuscious (maybe)

rickshaw

Do any of the F-89 kits on the market today come with the wingtip pods that housed Falcon AAMs?  Or are they all of the earlier versions with the rockets in the nose?

NARSES2

Academy do a F-89D & J with the wing tip pods, but not the Falcon armed version
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Dont know whether the big Monogram kit is still available - in fact it's quite a while since I've even seen one on eBay - but they did the 'H' in 1:48. Monster of a kit wit those three-round pods all opened up !!

Ian

Confuscious (maybe)