Does anyone make 1/72nd train kits?

Started by The Rat, February 01, 2010, 05:38:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

That's ok pre Beeching Mike but afterwards there wouldn't be that many places left to hide  >:(
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

B777LR

Quote from: Mike Wren on February 02, 2010, 07:16:53 AM
I keep think about doing a British ICBM train like the Russians had...

How about an SS train with V2 launchers?

ChernayaAkula

Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

jcf

Quote from: B787 on February 02, 2010, 07:34:24 AM
Quote from: Mike Wren on February 02, 2010, 07:16:53 AM
I keep think about doing a British ICBM train like the Russians had...

Just another target for the Tiffies and the Jugs.  ;D

PR19_Kit

Wasn't there a US scheme for rail mobile ICBMs at one stage?

Some variation of the Minuteman/Peacekeeper missile system perhaps? I seem to remember the Burlington Northern main line through Minneapolis and on to the west coast was to have some spurs built to connect it to various missile bases in the Dakotas so the missle trains could be serviced inside secure areas.

I could see problems with any such UK trains, and one is the same issue as I mentioned before. The rolling stock just isn't large enough to house the missile, unless it was a very thin missile perhaps?

Plus of course ASLEF would black the trains if they weren't paid danger money as well as out of hours working pay for driving the trains.........
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

B777LR

Quote from: ChernayaAkula on February 02, 2010, 09:28:15 AM
Quote from: B787 on February 02, 2010, 07:34:24 AM

Now there's a thought!

And following the war, they were captured by the French and Russians. Hence they were distributed around the world to places such as China (who reverse copied it, and fitted them will all sorts of loads), India, Pakistan and Libya...

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 02, 2010, 10:37:15 AM
I could see problems with any such UK trains, and one is the same issue as I mentioned before. The rolling stock just isn't large enough to house the missile, unless it was a very thin missile perhaps?

Plus of course ASLEF would black the trains if they weren't paid danger money as well as out of hours working pay for driving the trains.........

Plus it would be delayed by the wrong type of rain/snow/leaves/fall out
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: NARSES2 on February 03, 2010, 01:11:41 AM
Plus it would be delayed by the wrong type of rain/snow/leaves/fall out

Hehehe, I can see you live in the South East, Chris............  ;D :lol:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

The Rat

These are interesting ideas gentlemen, but my intended result is strictly post-war and peaceful..  Oh, and I also probably need some illustrations of the colour schemes used on British trains during the post-war period. The Mallard would come to mind of course. Might go with something different though, but if I mentioned it someone would guess...  ;D
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

NARSES2

Post war Rat you start getting to standard BR Green - they were nationalised circa 1946 if memory serves.

Pre war however is a different thing  ;D

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/gansg/6-livy/006-index.htm

PR19_Kit

Grrrr, just had to type this all in TWICE because the piccie was too big and the system doesn't save the text.  :banghead:

What I said was...........

BR not only used Standard Loco Green for it's engines post war.

Immediately post war they were all black, and DIRTY black at that, even the passenger locos, but after BR's formation they tried some different colours. One was a darker blue than the Garter Blue that Mallard carries, and the mixed traffic and frieght locos were black, both in lined and un-lined versions. They also had an unlined version of the Standard Green, that didn't prove too popular. The Southern Region, being the Southern Region of course, went back to their pre-war Loco Green, lighter than Standard Green, but the Greater BR leant on Mr Bullied and he reverted to the standard colours.

When it came to diesels they went bananas, with almost as many colour schemes as there were types, but I figure you're talking about steam, right?

Here's a piccie showing four A4s, Mallard in the forground in its pre-war Garter Blue, then Bittern in BR lined Standard Green, then Sir Nigel Gresley in the short lived Passenger Blue, and at the rear an unknown A4 in unlined Standard Green.

Regards
Kit

The Rat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 03, 2010, 08:58:37 AM... but I figure you're talking about steam, right?

Electric actually, maybe with one of those overhead birdcage thingies like this:

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

PR19_Kit

Oh gawd, you Do know how to make life difficult!  :o

The colour scheme depends on where it's based in UK in that case, overhead electrics early on in BR years were pretty limited to where they could run, unlike now when a lot of the system is electrified. East of London on the suburban Southend Line being one area, and Merseyside being another. I think there were some around Glasgow too, and also the main line across the Pennines from Manchester to Sheffield was overhead electric too.

The latter used the lined black scheme on their locos, and maroon and cream on the coaches, or all maroon in some cases. The Merseyside line used a darker maroon than the standard coaching stock, but I can't find a piccie of it. The Southend line was just plain green, thank goodness.

The 'birdcage thingie' is called a pantograph BTW.

Regards
Kit

The Rat

Oh, it will definitely be British! And I know the Southend trains, used to ride them from Stanford-le-Hope to Southend or Shoeburyness regularly.

Curious, I suddenly I have an urge for fresh shrimps...  ;D

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 03, 2010, 08:58:37 AM
The Southern Region, being the Southern Region of course, went back to their pre-war Loco Green, lighter than Standard Green, but the Greater BR leant on Mr Bullied and he reverted to the standard colours.

Had gallons of that green in the shed - dad worked for BR  ;D Only use I can remember it being put to was on my model railway boards.