40 Years of modelling memories.....

Started by Ian the Kiwi Herder, February 03, 2010, 01:04:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

philp

Anyone else remember Notox glue?  There was a time in the 70's that people were worried all us kids were taking model glue and putting it in paper bags to sniff and get hi on.  Never did that, the enclosed room was plenty :blink:.  They came out with this non toxic glue that smelled like lemons.  Stuff did not stick plastic together at all.  Remember getting frustrated with with it as you couldn't build as fast. Was so glad when they discontinued the stuff.

How about MPC Profile kits.  Airfix models with 3 sets of decals in the box and profiles of all three options on the lids.  I also bought a bunch of MPC and Hasagawa diorama kits.  They had 1-3 kits, some of those lovly soft plastic figures and a vacuformed scenic base.

And then there were the Pactra International Colors.  Paints that actually represented the colors used on the real thing.  No more of that bright Testors Green and Pactra Sky Blue.  I was recently given 3 old boxes of the colors with the original shrink wrap on them.  Not sure if the paint is any good or not but may be worth something on evilbay.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Quote from: philp on February 04, 2010, 11:18:39 AMAnyone else remember Notox glue? 

Not this side of the pond, Phil, but I'll see your NOTOX and - for the benefit of British modelers of 'a certain age'..... I'll raise you BRITFIX TUBE CEMENT !!!!!

Arghhh the horror, the horror..... :o

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

Martin H

Quote from: Ian the Hunter-Gatherer on February 04, 2010, 12:28:44 PM
Quote from: philp on February 04, 2010, 11:18:39 AMAnyone else remember Notox glue? 

Not this side of the pond, Phil, but I'll see your NOTOX and - for the benefit of British modelers of 'a certain age'..... I'll raise you BRITFIX TUBE CEMENT !!!!!

Ian

I remember that stuff :)
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

Aircav

Quote from: Martin H on February 04, 2010, 12:56:49 PM

Ian

I think I still have a tube of that  ;D
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Aircav on February 04, 2010, 01:01:00 PM
I think I still have a tube of that  ;D

You could probably use it for a door stop by now, it'll be like concrete!

On the opposite side I once bought five bottles of Slaters MekPak at one Nationals, when they only sold the small bottles. By the time I got to bottle #5, many months later, the contents had totally evaporated and it was empty!  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Radish

Oh the joys, eh?

The smell of polystyrene glue, spreading it on your fingers to peal off later :wacko:
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

Dork the kit slayer

Quote from: Martin H on February 04, 2010, 12:56:49 PM

Ian

Ill raise you....Revell S cement
Im pink therefore Im Spam...and not allowed out without an adult    

http://plasticnostalgia.blogspot.co.uk/

Dork the kit slayer

Quote from: Ian the Hunter-Gatherer on February 03, 2010, 01:04:47 AM

So am I looking forward to the next forty years, well, frankly, yes I am, should get a few finished by then, as long as Dork doesn’t keep taking me off to eat burgers, drink beer and talk utter nonsense.

Thanks for reading, now over to you lot.

Ian

What about the "lost years".......................the experiments with casting in resin.

It may have been the 80's   but it was YOUR 60s.......................................great nose man like wow

Aircav

Quote from: Radish on February 05, 2010, 04:16:48 AM
Oh the joys, eh?

The smell of polystyrene glue, spreading it on your fingers to peal off later :wacko:

Best part of modelling that, peeling off the glue at the end  ;D
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Quote from: Dork the kit slayer on February 05, 2010, 04:39:08 AM
What about the "lost years".......................the experiments with casting in resin. It may have been the 80's   but it was YOUR 60s.......................................great nose man like wow

That's a whole different thread, and you know it  :drink:

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

JayBee

Quote from: Aircav on February 05, 2010, 05:03:29 AM
Quote from: Radish on February 05, 2010, 04:16:48 AM
Oh the joys, eh?

Best part of modelling that, peeling off the glue at the end  ;D

BRITFIX Balsa cement was even better for that :thumbsup:

JimB
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

philp

I also once built a balsa and tissue model.  Neuport 17. Actually went together better than I thought but I decided to fly it (rubber band powered prop) and on its first flight when it hit the ground, the top wing broke off.  Never built another.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

rickshaw

I started modelling in the early 1970s.  Must have been about 11 or so.  Got into wargaming at about 14, joined the local wargaming club.  Joined the army, kept modelling off and on.  Left the Army, went to Uni, gave up modelling.  Got married, had kids.  Built a few kits with my kids, mainly armour.   Found this great website and joined in.   Now in the middle of a separation and living alone with spare time on my hands and contemplating taking the plunge into modelling again.   Slowly and quietly building up a stash.   Got some ideas in the back of head which keep trying to find their way out through my fingers.   We shall just have to see if they come to fruition.   :wacko:

How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

B777LR

Quote from: philp on February 05, 2010, 08:00:38 AM
I also once built a balsa and tissue model.  Neuport 17. Actually went together better than I thought but I decided to fly it (rubber band powered prop) and on its first flight when it hit the ground, the top wing broke off.  Never built another.

Me too, but a glider. It flew quite well after i balanced it. Broke a few times, but nothing i couldn't fix. I got very good at fixing holes in the tissue...

Dork the kit slayer

I could never "get on" with balsa and tissue............I suppose the dope and balsa glue stood me in good stead for the 60s............which alas I dont remember too well.

Built a KIELCRAFT??? piper cub..........and that looked like a WIF even then.............no way it would fly. The firework rocket just burnt it up.