New supply ship for the Dutch Navy

Started by Hobbes, February 03, 2010, 11:49:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hobbes

This is an artist's impression of the Hr. Ms. Karel Doorman, which will replace the Hr. Ms. Amsterdam. The ship is called a 'joint support ship', in addition to at-sea replenishment it will be able to support amphibious landings with a large helicopter deck and hangar, parking space for tanks and other vehicles, and accomodation for troops.

I haven't seen this combination of RAS and assault support before. We'll have to see if this compromise/combination works in practice.

pyro-manic

Looks like a bit like a Bay class with some extra gubbins. Is it another joint Dutch/Spanish design, like their current LPDs?
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

B777LR

Looks like a Bay class and an Albion class had a late night out :wub:

Hobbes

The Bay class and the Dutch LPDs are all based on the Enforcer design of the Damen/Schelde shipyard. Some of the Enforcer design will be reused for this ship.

Captain Canada

Beauty ! Looks like enough room on the deck for SHARs !

:thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Spey_Phantom

cool, kinda makes me jaleous, why do the dutch always get such nice toys and as belgians (with about the same budget) get stuck with secondhand junk  >:(

would have been nice to see it with a flushed deck like most amphibious assault ships (HMS Ocean, LHD's, Cavour,..)
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

dy031101

Quote from: Captain Canada on March 06, 2010, 06:07:29 AM

Give it an angled runway in a similar style as this and voila.

Reminds me, too, of an ancient (about a decade old) talk between me and a CF guy during a job fair in my high school.  He speculated that one of the roles the Canadian JSS is expected to undertake is the support of Allied/NATO Harrier forces.  I guess a lot has changed since then.

But then again I AM confused as to what has become of our own JSS project......
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

Silver Fox

Canada's JSS is dead... all bidders were rejected after it was found that the required 3 hulls could not be provided within the available funds.

http://www.casr.ca/bg-joint-support-ship.htm

JSS only really makes sense for a nation that already has AOR types and amphibs anyway... JSS can then be tasked to fill whatever holes are created by refit or training cycles. It just assumes the role of whatever isn't available. Canada has no replacement for the old AOR types... and no 'phibs, JSS was just a wild dream to get 'somethng' to do 'everything'. 

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Captain Canada on March 06, 2010, 06:07:29 AM

Always assuming there were any SHARs of course............  :angry:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Captain Canada

Quote from: dy031101 on March 06, 2010, 10:29:19 AM
Give it an angled runway in a similar style as this and voila

Oh my Dog ! That is just beautiful ! Nice find....I dug thru there a few years back looking for something like that. Way cool. Needs a ramp, tho.
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Captain Canada

Quote from: Silver Fox on March 06, 2010, 02:46:49 PM
Canada's JSS is dead... all bidders were rejected after it was found that the required 3 hulls could not be provided within the available funds.

There's pipe dreams, and then there's pipe dreams....we can't even afford to crew or fuel a fleet as it is.....

:banghead:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Captain Canada

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 06, 2010, 03:33:44 PM
Always assuming there were any SHARs of course............  :angry:

There will always be SHARs ! Or should I say, there should always be SHARs. Unless, of course, you want to blow your whole defence budget on a half-baked wanna-be that should be stealing the spotlight from the A400 anyday now....

:wacko:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

pyro-manic

The problem is, these ships don't have hangars or aircraft lifts, so there is nowhere to repair or maintain aircraft. The Bay-class often sail with a temporary hangar on the flight deck, but it's only big enough for one helicopter. Trying to fly SHars or Dave off one would not be practical in any way, through-deck or no.
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

dy031101

Well skijump ramps can still cut into space for helicopter landing spots- perfectly okay for bigger through-deck ships like the Invincible CVLs or the various new European carriers, but not so much for the JSS-class ships whose flight decks only cover at most 2/3 of their lengths.

Quote from: Captain Canada on March 06, 2010, 08:52:33 PM
Quote from: Silver Fox on March 06, 2010, 02:46:49 PM

There's pipe dreams, and then there's pipe dreams....we can't even afford to crew or fuel a fleet as it is.....

I know Wikipedia might not be an up-to-date source, but isn't there supposed to be a new, cheaper design submitted in...... like last year?

Quote from: pyro-manic on March 08, 2010, 07:45:41 AM
The problem is, these ships don't have hangars or aircraft lifts, so there is nowhere to repair or maintain aircraft.

If the vehicle deck can be re-configured into a hanger (I don't suppose LHDs can operate as both a Harrier carrier AND a troop carrier at the same time, either?)...... the ships would still need deck lifts, of course.
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

Silver Fox

It was the 'new, cheaper' JSS that was rejected for Canada. The CDN JSS was to have hangar space for the chopper compliment and mantenance of choppers from the accompanied destroyers and frigates.