Possible TSR.2 Drop tanks

Started by TallEng, February 03, 2010, 02:28:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TallEng

What do you think?
do these look like TSR.2 Drop tanks?
(ignore state of model and Blu tack pylon)

If they look accurate etc enough for you. (to me they look close enough for Government work) if you know what I mean :rolleyes:
If they do;
Revell make them. They cost 23 pounds for two (according to Hannants web site) although I am sure its possible to pick them up cheaper :smiley:
The down side being you get a "free" Revell Harrier GR.7/9 with them. :thumbsup:
It was just a thought,
apologies if its been done before.
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

lenny100

they look a little long in the rear end maybee more of the tornados f3  hindburgh tanks would be a better shape
Me, I'm dishonest, and you can always trust a dishonest man to be dishonest.
Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to watch out for!!!

kitnut617

If you look at this site, down on the left side in the directory boxes you'll see one which says 'resin'. open that and then scroll down a bit, you'll see how the proposed tanks were supposed to be like.

http://www.sampublications.com/sampubs.htm

Mind you, I prefer these below which I'm adding to my Eagle GR.7
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

TsrJoe

looks good to me, there are 3 different drop tanks shown in TSR.2 references (none finned as far as iv found!) the ones youv fitted certainly look like ones in drawings iv to hand, what are their 'real life' capacity?

cheers, joe
... 'i reject your reality and substitute my own !'

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

PR19_Kit

Quote from: kitnut617 on February 03, 2010, 02:49:44 PM
If you look at this site, down on the left side in the directory boxes you'll see one which says 'resin'. open that and then scroll down a bit, you'll see how the proposed tanks were supposed to be like.

http://www.sampublications.com/sampubs.htm

Strewth! Out of 24 items on their list only TWO are 'in stock', neither of which are TSR2 items of course.  :banghead:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

Quote from: TsrJoe on February 03, 2010, 07:18:48 PM
looks good to me, there are 3 different drop tanks shown in TSR.2 references (none finned as far as iv found!) the ones youv fitted certainly look like ones in drawings iv to hand, what are their 'real life' capacity?

cheers, joe

Would it be possible to get a copy of those Joe, especially like the one TallEng is building, I think I like the looks of it better now than the ones I'm using, plus it's more TSR2 and not Tonka.

Robert

Aircav

You could use a pair of F-100 Super Sabre tanks, possibly 1/48 for the 1/72 TSR2.
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

TallEng

The Tanks are from the 1/48 Revell Harrier which makes them 220gal tanks (I think in real life) which in 1/72 makes them 440gal tanks which just about fits with what the books say. Like I said its just a thought, and possibly cheaper than certain resin sets -_-
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

TsrJoe

oohh capacity wise sounds about right, methinks youv found a source of possible TSR.2 tanks, go on Campbell you know you want to add them to the 'odds and sods' range
meanwhile over the weekend ill dig out the drawings and post them on here for others to use too

:drink: joe
... 'i reject your reality and substitute my own !'

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

Ed S

Quote from: TallEng on February 05, 2010, 06:22:53 AM
The Tanks are from the 1/48 Revell Harrier which makes them 220gal tanks (I think in real life) which in 1/72 makes them 440gal tanks which just about fits with what the books say. Like I said its just a thought, and possibly cheaper than certain resin sets -_-

I believe that in actuality, a 1/48th tank of 220 gal when used for 1/72 would actually have a scale capacity of 1760 gal.  You have a single dimension factor of 2.  But in volume, you have to cube that (2x2x2) to 8 times. 

(Sorry to be pedantic.)

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

kitnut617

Quote from: TallEng on February 05, 2010, 06:22:53 AM

These ones ?   :o

TallEng

If thats Revells 1/48 Harrier, then they are the ones! :thumbsup:

kitnut617

Quote from: Ed S on February 05, 2010, 07:54:54 AM

I believe that in actuality, a 1/48th tank of 220 gal when used for 1/72 would actually have a scale capacity of 1760 gal.  You have a single dimension factor of 2.  But in volume, you have to cube that (2x2x2) to 8 times.  

Ed

It's actually 1.5 Ed, but you're on the right track.  The 1/48 Harrier tank measures out in 1/72 scale as being 3'-6" at it's widest point. To work out the volume there's a straight section (more or less) of 10'-0"X 3'-6" in the center, the nose cone is 8'-0" and at the 4 foot mark is 2'-6" wide and the tail cone is 12'-0" and at the 6 foot mark it's also 2'-6" (these are as close as my 1/72 scale shows).  The volume works out to approximately 194 cubic feet which gives you 1208 Imperial gal. or 1451 US gal.

But I believe the big Harrier tanks are actually 300 US gal tanks

Ed S

Yes, I didn't think about the correct ratio.  I just jumped on the 220 to 440 ratio in the preceeding post and cubed that.  I should have remembered that 1/72 to 1/48 is actually a 3 to 2 ratio which means that the volume is 1.5 x 1.5 x 1.5 or 3.375 times or about 740 gal for a 220 gal tank or 980 gal for a 300 gal tank.

Although actually measuring the tank and calculating the volume is probably a better way to figure the scale volume.

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

PR19_Kit

Having just spent some fruitless hours trying to calculate the volume of various airship hulls (Don't ask........) trying to work out the correct volumes of shapes like that is fraught with difficulty. :(

The ends aren't perfect cones so the real volumes are usually larger than that produced by the 1/3 x pi x (base radius squared) x height formula, and are very dependent on where you decide the base of your 'cone' is along the length of the tank, or airship.....
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit