Possible TSR.2 Drop tanks

Started by TallEng, February 03, 2010, 02:28:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitnut617

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 05, 2010, 04:33:31 PM
Having just spent some fruitless hours trying to calculate the volume of various airship hulls (Don't ask........) trying to work out the correct volumes of shapes like that is fraught with difficulty. :(

The ends aren't perfect cones so the real volumes are usually larger than that produced by the 1/3 x pi x (base radius squared) x height formula, and are very dependent on where you decide the base of your 'cone' is along the length of the tank, or airship.....

I generalize the shapes Kit, the center section of the tank TallEng is using isn't exactly a straight tube but it's close.  The nose and tail aren't really cones either, they're a combination of parts of elipses, but for this exercise all I did was use the panel line on either end of the center part as a reference, measured the length of the nose and tail cones, went to the half way point, measured the diameter there and then worked out the volume from there.  It's close but not perfectly correct. To do that you need to divide the parts into smaller sections.  I did the same method to work out the displacement for my Nottingham build.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

PR19_Kit

Robert,

Gotcha, yes that tank does have a pretty cylindrical centre section, unlike the Hindenberg.....

Try as I might I could NOT get any calculated volume of that monster airship to end up anywhere near the quoted 7100000 cu ft. [That's about 53000000 gallons, some drop tank!  :lol:]
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 06, 2010, 10:42:44 AM
Robert,

Gotcha, yes that tank does have a pretty cylindrical centre section, unlike the Hindenberg.....

Try as I might I could NOT get any calculated volume of that monster airship to end up anywhere near the quoted 7100000 cu ft. [That's about 53000000 gallons, some drop tank!  :lol:]

The nose and tail sections are technically called 'paraboloids', try these formulas, straight out of my copy of Machinery's Handbook

Jeffry Fontaine

Other sources for this style of fuel tank if you have the kits or know someone that builds modern 48th scale aircraft you can check the following for tanks that are similar in size and shape:

Monogram/Revell

A-6 Intruder, EA-6A Intruder, EA-6B Prowler
A-7A/B Corsair II (OOP but still a potential source)
A-1 Skyraider (Korean war or Vietnam war versions since the kits are the same)
A-4E/F and OA-4M (both kits have slightly larger diameter tanks but are about  the same length as the Harrier tanks)
AV-8B Harrier II (and as you have provided already, the Revell AV-8B Snap-Fit kit)

ESCI / ModelCraft (USA/Canada)/Revell of Germany (EU). 
OOB/OOP but you may come across the kit in your search so they are included.

A-7D/E Corsair II
F-16A Fighting Falcon
A-1/AD Skyraider (not the AEW version since it has older WWII/Korean era fuel tanks) This kit is one of the very few that Italeri resurrected under their brand name when they bought the ESCI molds. 

There may be other candidate kits out there as well but these are the kits I recall having those fuel tank shapes that look like your fuel tank. 
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

PR19_Kit

Robert,

The next time I have 2-3 days spare I'll try and apply all those formula to my drawing of the Hindenburg and see if it gets closer to the quoted figure. :)

I think the last time I saw those written down was some time in 1959.........
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

ChrisF

Surely though if it looks right it is right though ?

kitnut617

Quote from: ChrisF on February 06, 2010, 02:13:03 PM
Surely though if it looks right it is right though ?

Yeap! after seeing TallEng's pic with the tanks I'm changing mine to have them too.

ChrisF

Im going for something compleately different...    ;D After seeing something on here about a year back im inspired by "miller" drop tanks...

ReccePhreak

What would be a good source for 1/48 TSR2 drop tanks? Any 1/32 tanks that might work, with some modification(s)? The 1/72 drawings I have, by B. Hygate, don't show any tanks. Does anybody have any drawings to share, of the proposed tanks & pylons?  :huh:
Larry

PR19_Kit

Quote from: ReccePhreak on March 24, 2010, 10:52:35 AM
What would be a good source for 1/48 TSR2 drop tanks? Any 1/32 tanks that might work, with some modification(s)? The 1/72 drawings I have, by B. Hygate, don't show any tanks. Does anybody have any drawings to share, of the proposed tanks & pylons?  :huh:
Larry

Cammett do them in resin, not that I'm suggesting you should buy some, but they have a pic of them on their site at :-

https://sslrelay.com/cammett.co.uk/html/item.php?category=Aircraft&sub=Conversions&id=CAMA48007

Regards
Kit