Icelandic Air Force F/A-18F (Finished!)

Started by Green Dragon, February 04, 2010, 12:38:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Green Dragon

Right I'm in with a (hopefully!) quick build of the 1/72nd Italeri Super Bug in service with the Icelandic Air Force. Sorry for being so late to the party but I completey forgot about the GB! Was planning a C-130 based V-44 in Antarctic colours but won't have time now.

Paul Harrison
"Well, it's rather brutal here. Right now we are advising all our clients to put everything they've got into canned food and shotguns."-Gremlins 2

On the bench.
1/72 Space 1999 Eagle, Comet Miniatures Martian War Machine
1/72nd Quad Tilt Rotor, 1/144th V/STOL E2 Hawkeye (stalled)

Mossie

Different one, Iceland getting an Air Force.  Look forward to seeing it! :thumbsup:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Green Dragon

Really hate these Italeri intakes but I got them to go together (hopefully) OK. Painted the cockpit with Lifecolor Italian Blue Grey coz my Gull Grey had turned into a solid greasy plastic lump!
Not sure if it will be overall white with high-viz markings or a camo scheme. Will have to make up some roundels as Iceland doesn't have any yet. My current thinking is a blue circle with offset white/red cross with a small flag on the tail and a sweep of the national colours on the forward fuselage like they have on their Coastguard ships.

Hopefully pics soon, when I get a bit further along!

Paul Harrison
"Well, it's rather brutal here. Right now we are advising all our clients to put everything they've got into canned food and shotguns."-Gremlins 2

On the bench.

TsrJoe

id saved a few of the Icelandic profiles John Lacey (maverick) had drawn up a while back ...

... 'i reject your reality and substitute my own !'

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

Green Dragon

And there was me thinking I'm being original! Great profiles.  :thumbsup:
The F/A-18 camo is similar to one I'm considering but with some black and dark green added. I think I'll be doing a full flag on the tail without the cut out of the Naval ensign the Coastguard use. John's roundels are what I first thought about but the cross on the flag is offset, if I can't get an offset design to look right I'll nick John's!

Paul Harrison

On the bench.

Green Dragon

Finally got a few pics on Photobucket.
Box pic.

Some bits!

Cockpit.

Out of focusy cockpit!

Paul Harrison

On the bench.

Eddie M.

Looking good Paul! I'm anticipating your finished product.;D
Look behind you!

Captain Canada

Those big Hornets are sweet....looking forward to seeing some progress !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

John Howling Mouse

THAT cockpit is only 1:72?!  I'm goin' HOME!!   :banghead:
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Green Dragon

Many thanks guys! Got a rattle can white base coat on today so I'm finally making some progress, hopefully a pic tomorow. Why is it whenever I mask off a cockpit there are always some leaks!!!  :banghead: need to do some canopy polishing. Think the closest to an Icelandic blue I have is Games Workshop Enchanted Blue.

Edit:-

Some pics, during spraying.

After the mask came off.

Paul Harrison

On the bench.

Green Dragon

Done most of the camo but I'm not happy, think I should have left it overall white!  :banghead:
Pics poss tomorrow?

Paul Harrison

On the bench.

Green Dragon

Some progress pics.
Icelandic National markings added.

Underside "Don't shoot, I'm friendly" markings.

Camo added.

Underside after camo.

Paul Harrison

On the bench.

Mossie

I like that camo scheme!  Contrasts well with the neutrality markings on the underside.  What's the back story, the neutrality markings seem to suggest a continued Cold War warming up a bit?
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Green Dragon

Well it's finished unless anthing falls off before piccies tomorrow. Had a near disaster when the aerosol matt varnish started attacking the paint but I think I managed to calm it down a bit with a wet finger!
What kind of company makes varnish that eats it's own paint?........Games Workshop, that's who!  :banghead:

Paul Harrison

On the bench.

Green Dragon

Here's me piccies.

Very dodgy fit on some parts of this kit, especialy the side mounted AMRAAM's.

Paul Harrison

On the bench.