H-43 Huskie Questions and What-if Ideas

Started by dy031101, February 06, 2010, 03:45:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dy031101

Question:

Huskies serving the USN and the USMC are said to have operated off aircraft carriers...... were they equipped with folding rotors?

What-if Idea:

It looks kinda like some models of Kamov ASW helicopters, doesn't it?

Or even maybe put an AEW radar with retractable antenna to make a Ka-31 look-alike......
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

Weaver

It looks even more like the Kamov Ka-26 (or Ka-126/226 with turboshafts); the little utility type with the removable cargo pod!
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

dy031101

It sure does, too.

====================

To-do list here

apophenia

Quote from: dy031101 on February 06, 2010, 03:45:15 PM
Question: ... were they equipped with folding rotors?

No folding rotors, they didn't need them. The twin, two-bladed rotors were simply arranged fore-and-aft (like the twin-blade Bells).

dy031101

Quote from: apophenia on February 06, 2010, 07:35:59 PM
No folding rotors, they didn't need them.

How big of a footprint would the Huskie, with its rotors arranged fore-and-aft, leave compared to a SH-2 in stowed mode?

====================

To-do list here

philp

What was the Gerry Anderson vehicle made from a couple of 32nd Huskies and 48th scale B-58 engine pods?
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

apophenia

Quote from: dy031101 on February 07, 2010, 08:44:16 AM
How big of a footprint would the Huskie, with its rotors arranged fore-and-aft, leave compared to a SH-2 in stowed mode?

H-43F rotors overlapped the fuselage at either end so 14.32 m rotor diameter and overall length are the same. That's longer than a completely folded Sea Sprite (totaling 11.68 m with both nose and rotor blades folded). For the record, the Huskie's width was 4.58 m and its height was 3.84 m compared with the SH-2's width of 3.73 m and height (folded) of 4.14 m.

Along with the weight and mechanical complexity of folding up an SH-2, you've also got to factor in fuselage length. And the Huskie fuselage was only 7.67 m long.

Not that any of this makes the H-43 a great helicopter. The intermeshing rotor arrangement naturally provides a K-Max pilot with a great view for heli-logging. But what real advantage does it have over the counter-rotating Kamovs you mentioned?

Weaver

Quote from: apophenia on February 07, 2010, 01:48:35 PM

Not that any of this makes the H-43 a great helicopter. The intermeshing rotor arrangement naturally provides a K-Max pilot with a great view for heli-logging. But what real advantage does it have over the counter-rotating Kamovs you mentioned?

It doesn't provide him with any better view than a normal helicopter. The point of the intermeshing rotor system is power: unlike a conventional helo, engine power isn't being wasted running the tail rotor, so all of it goes into lift. There really isn't much to choose between Kaman and Kamov (even between their names... ;D): they both use all the engine power for lift by having two counter-rotating main rotors and they both pay a penalty for that in mechanical complexity and rotor mast drag. As far as I can see, minor pros and cons are as follows:

Height: the Kaman system is somewhat lower than the Kamov.

Blades: the Kaman system is pretty much limited to two-bladed rotors, while the Kamov can, in theory, accept any number of blades. This makes the Kamov system more scaleable to bigger, more powerful helos.

Clearance: the Kamov's lower blades are no nearer the ground than a conventional helos, but the tips of the Kaman ones are, because of the way they're angled. In theory, this increases the risk of tip-strikes and personnel accidents.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

dy031101

I'm just trying to go further down the "look-alike" path......  ;D

====================

To-do list here

Weaver

- Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Weaver on February 07, 2010, 02:32:15 PM
Clearance: the Kamov's lower blades are no nearer the ground than a conventional helos, but the tips of the Kaman ones are, because of the way they're angled. In theory, this increases the risk of tip-strikes and personnel accidents.

From memory (of seeing one close up at an Upper Heyford Armed Forces Day) a Huskie carries a warning notice that says '....only approach from the front or rear of the aircraft....' or similar.

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

apophenia

It doesn't provide him with any better view than a normal helicopter...

Gotta disagree Weave. I got that secondhand from a Heliqwest guy but he contrasted the view from his K-Max to that from their B205 for both aerial haresting and bambi buckets.

The rotor mast arrangment means that the cockpit is widest at the top (so, it's no problem to view straight down. And, because the fuselage is so skinny, the pilot can see downwards to port or starboard. No other civilian helicopter pilot can do that.

Weaver

Quote from: apophenia on February 07, 2010, 06:43:36 PM
It doesn't provide him with any better view than a normal helicopter...

Gotta disagree Weave. I got that secondhand from a Heliqwest guy but he contrasted the view from his K-Max to that from their B205 for both aerial haresting and bambi buckets.

The rotor mast arrangment means that the cockpit is widest at the top (so, it's no problem to view straight down. And, because the fuselage is so skinny, the pilot can see downwards to port or starboard. No other civilian helicopter pilot can do that.

My point is that that's because the K-MAX was designed for good visibility, not because it's got an egg-beater rotor. It could just as easily have had a narrow fuselage with outward sloping windows if it had had a normal rotor, as nearly all gunships demonstrate.

- Indiana Jones

rickshaw

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 07, 2010, 04:39:55 PM

From memory (of seeing one close up at an Upper Heyford Armed Forces Day) a Huskie carries a warning notice that says '....only approach from the front or rear of the aircraft....' or similar.

Normal helicopters only allow you to approach from the front and sides, where the pilot can essentially see you,  so you haven't really gained or lost anything with the intermeshing rotors.  

How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Weaver

Well there's an increased risk with ground personnel who've been trained to approach a helo from the front or side and are then confronted with a Kaman for the first time. It's alright saying "retrain them", but they might not be under the control of the helicopter operator.

- Indiana Jones