O

IDF Mirage IV: Or the SAAF Mirage IV that never was....

Started by Overkiller, February 06, 2010, 03:48:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nev

Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

lancer

Quote from: Thorvic on April 03, 2010, 09:11:07 AM
Lance have a look in hobbycraft for Geedo Latex, works out cheaper than Maskol and less runny and smelly.

G

Thanks for the tip Geoff, I'll have a decco next time I'm up there.
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

GTX

Looking promising - can't wait to see the result!

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

PR19_Kit

Duncan,

Quote from: Overkiller on April 03, 2010, 07:13:01 AM
Kit,

it's blu-tak rolled into sausages by hand and applied to demarcate the outer edges of the camo pattern, then inside the sausages is filled with liquid latex that you can buy from Hobbycraft. I find I need two coats of the stuff as a single coat invariably has little pinholes where air bubbles have burst and let the sprayed paint through (ask me how I know, go on....  :banghead: ).

Ah right, sounds a good idea. Do the underturned bits of the Blu-Tak sausages give you a slight over-sprayed look, or do you press them down hard so there is direct contact all round the edges?

And yes, how DO you know about the little pinholes that let the paint through and apply a shotgun spray all over your carefully applied first colour?  -_-
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Wow, Duncan, you are just getting better and betterer with each build/project. Kudos to you, sir  :thumbsup:

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

Sauragnmon

Might be an interesting idea, Duncan, to double-mask another project for an interesting camo - the normal wide bands, but you mask a second inner layer, one layer of latex in the outer edges, two coats on the inside, so you have your camo with feathered edges and some spackled borders as well.  Not sure how that'd turn out, but it might look somewhat interesting in theory.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

nev

Beautifully done Dunc.  Nice touch on the false radar too :thumbsup:
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Martin H

I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

Slerski

:o My (in progress) Mirage IV looks poor besides yours, nice camo well executed  :thumbsup:
« Le MAGIC, c'est fantastique !! » [Sgt Vincent D., FAF armourer]

« Un Pétaf qui s'ennuie est un Pétaf dangereux... »

Shasper

Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

Sisko

Looking nice!

I bet you suck in a few with that whiff! :thumbsup:
Get this Cheese to sick bay!

John Howling Mouse

Sir Duncan,
I do believe you've nailed that scheme!

:thumbsup:
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

PR19_Kit

Oooooh, there's lovely it is! (sorry, comes from living too close to the Welsh border.........)  :thumbsup: :cheers:

I didn't realise it had a CT52 pod aboard too, which one did you use and did it fit the hole vacated by the nuke OK? Of course I could ask these things when I see the real thing in the morning.....  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Taiidantomcat

"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Ed S

We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.