CF-105 & Thundercheif Query

Started by Cobra, February 09, 2010, 07:48:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cobra

Hey Guys, Can Anyone Tell me if the F-105  'Thundercheif' aka the 'Thud' had ever been Looked @ by the RCAF? i know the RCAF seemed to add C to Aircraft like the F-101 Voodoo and the Like and was Wondering if the F-105 would have used 'CF-105' if the Arrow Had not Been Built???? just something i was Wondering about. Thanks for Looking. Dan

Captain Canada

I can't verify it but I believe they looked at the 105 at the same time as the F-4, when we ultimately decided on the far superior 104 !

:unsure:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

anthonyp

They were Canadian, therefore, drunk  ;D
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

Fulcrum

In the 70's(after the Arrow was cancelled), the Canadian military wanted a tactical aircraft to support the newly-formed Mobile Command(in case of deployment to Norway). The Canadian military evaluated several aircraft & prefered the F-105 Thud, but the Trudeau administration decided to go for the F-5 Freedom Fighter in the end. :rolleyes:

It would make designation very confusing if BOTH were in service at the same time ;D :o :lol: :blink:
(Arrow for air to air, with the Thud doing air to ground).
Fulcrums Forever!!!
Master Assembler

Weaver

Leads to the intriguing thought of Avro Canada taking the lead on a new interceptor by fitting big delta wings to a Thud........ :wacko:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

kitnut617

Quote from: Fulcrum on February 10, 2010, 12:19:48 AM
In the 70's(after the Arrow was cancelled), the Canadian military wanted a tactical aircraft to support the newly-formed Mobile Command(in case of deployment to Norway). The Canadian military evaluated several aircraft & prefered the F-105 Thud, but the Trudeau administration decided to go for the F-5 Freedom Fighter in the end. :rolleyes:

It would make designation very confusing if BOTH were in service at the same time ;D :o :lol: :blink:

To add, I remember reading that the F-5 got the order because Northrop didn't have a problem having the aircraft built in Canada, whereas Republic was almost at the end of it's life.  Something like that anyway ----
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Weaver

Quote from: kitnut617 on February 10, 2010, 06:26:26 AM
Quote from: Fulcrum on February 10, 2010, 12:19:48 AM

To add, I remember reading that the F-5 got the order because Northrop didn't have a problem having the aircraft built in Canada, whereas Republic was almost at the end of it's life.  Something like that anyway ----

I know Canada was in the initial phases of MRCA before leaving, but did they ever look at the Jaguar?
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

GTX

Quotei know the RCAF seemed to add C to Aircraft like the F-101 Voodoo and the Like and was Wondering if the F-105 would have used 'CF-105'

I know it seems like that, but it is just a little more complicated - see here.

If both the Avro and the Republic designs were in service concurrently, I believe they would have different designations - perhaps one would be the CF-105 and the other the CF-106 or something to that effect.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

apophenia

Since the F-105 was in competition with the Northrop F-5, it's fair to assume that the RCAF/CF designation for a successful bid by Republic would still have been CF-116.

[Note that 'CF-5' is an unofficial designation. Maybe 'CF-105' would have been used unofficially but I doubt it.]

kitnut617

Quote from: GTX on February 12, 2010, 01:14:36 PM

I know it seems like that, but it is just a little more complicated
If both the Avro and the Republic designs were in service concurrently, I believe they would have different designations - perhaps one would be the CF-105 and the other the CF-106 or something to that effect.
Regards,
Greg

The Canadian Airforce (RCAF or CAF) numbering system makes it very difficult to add a what-if in between some existing RW aircraft, each aircraft taken on is given the next available number, the 106 is actually a CC-106 Yukon (Canadian made Britannia).  The exceptions are the recent F-18 and C-17, these are CF-188 and CC-177.

This link will show you how it works.

http://www.ody.ca/~bwalker/post_int.html

philp

Can't help with the designation but know I have seen a profile or two here of the Thud in Candadian markings.  Check the profile areas or give Maverick a buzz.  He probably has one stored on his photobucket (but danged if I can ever find anything there).
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

kitnut617

Quote from: apophenia on February 12, 2010, 05:10:14 PM
This photo of an F-105 display model in RCAF markings was on IPMS Ottawa's site. Note the 'FH-105"  :unsure:

That's interesting isn't it? I wonder what the 'FH' stands for ?  The 'H' in CH usually means 'Helicopter'

jcf

I wouldn't read too much into the FH-105.
Note that the fake tail number is 40105 and that through much of the 1950s the RCAF
used aircraft codes that consisted of two alpha characters followed by three numerical
characters, with the three numerals being the final three digits of the tail code.
So FH-105 may just have been the Republic model shop's attempt to give that model
a Canadian identity, of course if so, they didn't understand that the code should have
looked like:

;D

Edit: also the FH code was used on USAF F-105s.

elmayerle

The Osprey Air Combat book on the F-105 lists at least two distinct proposals to Canada for F-105 variants, both including use of variants of the Iroquois engine.  I'm not sure what the differences are between the two, but the earlier one seems to be part of a common family being pitched to the UK (with Olympus), France (with a J75 since France already had the license for it), and to Germany (presumeably withthe J75).  The other one comes in as a later dash number on the basic Republic designator series for the F-105.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

NARSES2

Quote from: elmayerle on February 14, 2010, 07:43:27 PM
France (with a J75 since France already had the license for it), and to Germany (presumeably withthe J75).  The other one comes in as a later dash number on the basic Republic designator series for the F-105.

Interesting because if I ever get around to building my Trumpeter one she will be French in the lovely "sand and chocolate" scheme  :wub:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.