... all about Guppies (not the fishy kind!)

Started by TsrJoe, February 11, 2010, 12:54:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TsrJoe

... 'i reject your reality and substitute my own !'

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

JayBee

WOW!

Who is going to be the first to build the ten engined, bi-plane Super Guppy Follow-up? :wub: :thumbsup:

Jim
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

PR19_Kit

Quote from: JayBee on February 11, 2010, 02:10:12 AM
Who is going to be the first to build the ten engined, bi-plane Super Guppy Follow-up? :wub: :thumbsup:

If he can put spats on it, Brian will...........  :lol: -_-
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Weaver

Speaking of spats, how about making a 1930s "pre-Guppy" by putting a big cargo pod under the front of a Heyford? It would need more engines, possibly extended upper wings to compensate for the loss off the lower centre-section, and possible a jack-up system to level the fuselage for loading.

Put it in a diorama disgorging one of those Airfix/JB Vickers light tanks.... :wacko:

Great link Joe- nice one!  :thumbsup:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Brian da Basher

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 11, 2010, 02:11:30 AM
Quote from: JayBee on February 11, 2010, 02:10:12 AM

If he can put spats on it, Brian will...........  :lol: -_-

Well I already did a biplaned, spatted, six-engined C-97. I'm in the planning stages of turning another one into a flying boat.

This Guppy link was a crackerjack find! Thanks, Joe!
:cheers:
Brian da Basher

apophenia

One project missed on All About Guppies is Conroy's Super-Super CL-44. This unnamed project was to six RR Tynes on a modified CL-44 wing and the nose was to be replaced by a Boeing 747 snout. Who wants to try modelling that bad boy?  :wacko:

PR19_Kit

How the devil would a 747 nose fit a CL-44? It's about two or three times as tall!

But I like the idea and I already have the required basic kits.........  :lol:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

B777LR

Quote from: apophenia on February 12, 2010, 05:14:35 PM
One project missed on All About Guppies is Conroy's Super-Super CL-44. This unnamed project was to six RR Tynes on a modified CL-44 wing and the nose was to be replaced by a Boeing 747 snout. Who wants to try modelling that bad boy?  :wacko:

Maybe, sounds cool. Any photos or CGI?

apophenia

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 13, 2010, 02:07:41 AM
How the devil would a 747 nose fit a CL-44? It's about two or three times as tall!

'Kit ... the B747 nose would be stuck onto the usual outsized Guppy fuselage. Only the lower CL-44 fuselage would remain and ... going by the Conroy Colossus ... the nose would swing not the tail.

No pics of the super-Monster but here's the Colossus concept:

http://www.allaboutguppys.com/whatif/colosa.jpg
http://www.allaboutguppys.com/whatif/colpainta.jpg

PR19_Kit

Ahah, with you now.  ;D

Yes, I can see how that might work, it'd sure need a LOT of  Guppy fuselages to model one, or perhaps a couple of Belugas??? Hmmmmmm..........

Regards
Kit

Weaver

If anyone's wondering how to model the end caps of a guppyish thing, then these egg shapes I found today might be useful for a smallish scale model:

http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,26614.msg410419.html#new
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

Quote from: apophenia on February 13, 2010, 07:17:44 PM
Oddly enough, when the B747 nose section was scaled to fit, it matched the curve of the CL-44 forward fuselage rather nicely. Maybe a fluke of the small-scale drawings used but it'd be nice if that work out the same in styrene!

That does work rather well, doesn't it?  ;D

I'm now wondering if you can join two Beluga fuselages, one of top of each other! Either that or it's cutting and shutting a number of the forthcoming Revell LZ-129 Hindenburgs..........  -_-

Regards
Kit

Weaver

- Indiana Jones

Eddie M.

Here's one I started, but it never got passed the design stage. It was to have 5 engines.

Look behind you!

Hobbes

A high-winged aircraft is going to have the main wing spar running through the cargo hold.