... all about Guppies (not the fishy kind!)

Started by TsrJoe, February 11, 2010, 12:54:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcf

PR19_Kit

Quote from: apophenia on February 14, 2010, 10:13:48 AM
I wonder why so few Guppies are based on high-winged aircraft? There's a few on All About Guppies but they don't seem as well thought through.

The landing gear would have to be either very long or narrow tracked to work with a high wing Guppy.

I'm trying to imagine a low winged Guppy'd Beverley.............  -_-
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Hobbes

Also, with a high wing you'd have to have a large load-bearing structure to connect the wing to the cargo floor. The real-life Guppies don't need that, the huge envelope around the cargo bay only needs to be strong enough to withstand aerodynamic loads.

PR19_Kit

I'm surely tempted to build a Whiffed psuedo-Lockheed Flatbed out of a 747-400. I've got more than one in The Loft and I'm not going to build them all RW.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

GTX

How about a Super[sonic] Guppie:

or am I just being silly...

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

PR19_Kit

That's do-able too!

Swing nose or swing tail? I like the latter myself.

Regards
Kit

Weaver

The first Concorde Guppy was probably better area-ruled though...... :wacko:

To my mind, the limitation with all Guppies is the infrastructure. Because you need a special elevator truck to unload stuff from the high load bed, you can only really carry stuff from one "Guppy Capable" airfield to another. This is fine on regular runs (Chester-Toulouse with Airbus wings, for example: you'd be amazed how fast they turn them around at Chester), but it limits the ability to do one-offs because you have to fly the unloading gear into the destination first and then fly it out again.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

kitnut617

Quote from: Weaver on February 16, 2010, 04:08:50 AM
but it limits the ability to do one-offs because you have to fly the unloading gear into the destination first and then fly it out again.

Yeah, it's much easy just to go and rent an AN-124.  ;D   I've always wondered why the US prohibited civilian C-5 sales, and who do you think will operate the first civilian C-17 ?  I can see that being put to good use just about anywhere.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Weaver

The loading/unloading situation is the principle reason for suggesting a high-wing one with a low floor. I wonder if it would be practical to make a square or rectangular -section one (like a giant Skyvan), which would allow suitably wide-track, fuselage-mounted undercarriage. It would probably have to be unpressurised.....
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Weaver on February 16, 2010, 09:49:32 AM
The loading/unloading situation is the principle reason for suggesting a high-wing one with a low floor. I wonder if it would be practical to make a square or rectangular -section one (like a giant Skyvan), which would allow suitably wide-track, fuselage-mounted undercarriage. It would probably have to be unpressurised.....

Now why does that sound familiar?  :lol:

The words 'Blackburn' and 'Beverley' keep coming to mind.

Regards
Kit

jcf

Quote from: kitnut617 on February 16, 2010, 06:48:17 AM
, and who do you think will operate the first civilian C-17 ?  I can see that being put to good use just about anywhere.

Nobody. McD-D and Boeing both marketed the hell out of the civil version and got zero sales.

A semi-civil government controlled and contracted heavy lift service using C-17s is a possibility,
however I'm not going to hold  my breath.

PR19_Kit

The Qatar C-17(s) look like civil ones..........  -_-

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on February 16, 2010, 11:31:15 AM
Quote from: kitnut617 on February 16, 2010, 06:48:17 AM
, and who do you think will operate the first civilian C-17 ?  I can see that being put to good use just about anywhere.

Nobody. McD-D and Boeing both marketed the hell out of the civil version and got zero sales.

A semi-civil government controlled and contracted heavy lift service using C-17s is a possibility,
however I'm not going to hold  my breath.

Yet the An-124's are kept busy ---  my wife even saw one down at Marine Base Yuma earlier this year when she was on holiday.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

jcf

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 16, 2010, 02:09:10 PM
The Qatar C-17(s) look like civil ones..........  -_-
Nope, they have one painted in Qatar Airlines livery but its a standard C-17A and operated by the Qatar Amiri flight,
in other words the military.

jcf

Quote from: B787 on February 16, 2010, 12:36:34 PM

Not quite true, a British company (Heavylift something?) wanted to buy a few. The order was too insignificant to be feasable for Boeing to develop. The market got flooded with cheap Il-76s, An-12s and An-124s, and lots of questionable operaters from Ukraine/Russia/Africa with low prices. There is hardly a thing the C-17 can do, that a Russian aircraft and company can't do cheaper.

HeavyLift wants what is basically a bog standard C-17A ( slightly de-milled in some areas, the original MD-17/BC-17 had more differences)
and FAA exemptions from civil airframe certification and operating standards. Such an aircraft would not truly be a civil C-17, especially as HeavyLift
would love to have the US government foot many, if not all, of the non-reoccurring costs, despite their rosy statements as to funding
sources and market potential. Frankly, I'm not keen on subsidizing a private cargo firm and exempting them from safety requirements.