Allan-the venerable Revell 109 G in 1/32 scale---wood varnish and tail gunner

Started by Allan, February 11, 2010, 06:58:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Allan

I'll make this one at the same time as my Heinkel.
Not much detail, but fus wood varnish and a hole drilled behind the cockpit for the gunner to stand in sort of a tube with three MG 42 machine guns at his disposal!!! :wub: :party:
I have three small metal ones lying around that I just have to use!!
Maybe lozenge on the wings--we'll see.
Does anyone have any good photos of a painted Daimler-Benz that I can copy from? :unsure:
And of a circular ring to attach the guns to?? :unsure:
Photos shortly.
Allan in Canberra

pyro-manic

Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Tophe

Do I read correctly? Do you mean "109" as Messerscmitt Bf109? With tail gunner????;D I know you are a great what-ifer, that would be very interesting... Alas I fear a misunderstanding, and a less uncommon explanation :smiley:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Allan

Allan

That's enough work for this weekend. Pretty amateruish, but it'll scrub up well once the woodvarnish effect has been applied.
Allan

Allan

More photos. The black enamel wash on the engine has crazed the paint a little--but hopefully once Testor's Dulcote is on it won't be too noticeable. Matt yellow next inside the fus followed by burnt sienna to achieve the wood varnish look.
Allan in Canberra

Brian da Basher

I'm really looking forward to this one, Allan! I don't think I've ever seen MG-42s on an aircraft before. Totally inspired!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

Allan

Thanks Brian and Tophe.
Here's the engine more or less to my llimited satisfaction. I've got some ideas for the rear gunner's seat.
Allan in Canberra

Brian da Basher

Having worked for as a parts driver for an auto-repair shop, I can state with some authority that you've really managed to capture the realisitic look of an engine there Allan! You've got some very enviable painting skill!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

Taiidantomcat

"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Allan

Thank you tomcat and Brian,
For the black wash, I mixed up a thin solution of Humbrol black enamel and the contents of the jar in which I rinse my brushes and slapped on a thin coat or two. It turns out that the stuff is lacquer thinner, which crazed the plastic somewhat, but on the other hand discolored the paint quite nicley, so I'm pretty chuffed with the result.
Here is the fus painted yellow. I think it would be prudent to mist on another coat or two before applying the wood varnish. The next photo will show the wood varnish.
Allan in Canberra

Allan

Hi all,
Here she is, but I'm not sure if I'll put Tamiya Clear Yellow on the inside fus--maybe no need. For the matt yellow I used Revell Matt 15 and it went very well through my Iwata. Ordinary acrylic burnt sienna craft paint for the wood finish.
Allan in Canberra

Allan

Yes, decided to Clear Yellow it a little. Here are some of the cockpit instruments. Also, some shots of the fuselage showing how the gunner sits for takeoff, the ring for the three guns (maybe less!) and the piece of tape I stuck to the fus to show me how to cut away the hole. The ring is of softish plastic, so I may make or scrounge something more sturdy later on.
Allan in Canberra

TallEng

The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

Allan

Yes, I'll dispense with the middle bit of the canopy.
Here's the cockpit floor with tan as a base and Testor's rubber brushed over it to produce a quite agreeable wood finish, don't you think?
Allan in Canberra