Allan-the venerable Revell 109 G in 1/32 scale---wood varnish and tail gunner

Started by Allan, February 11, 2010, 06:58:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Allan

Some more photos for you--pretty self-explanatory. The fus is now glued together and I've decided to give it a looonnnnggg time to set. In the meantime I've put some Xtracrylix RLM74 on the wings and it's gone on quite nicely thinned with ordinary, soft Canberra rain water and some Flow Aid.I have a fetish for white rudders with yellow wingtips.
Allan in Canberra

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Ed S

Looking good.  The wood grain on the interior is super.  Great idea for a 109.

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

John Howling Mouse

I'm amazed...jealous...and amazed (again).

Wow, Allan.  Incredible craftsmanship, from the engine painting to the wood and seatbelts.  Even the yellow finish is so solid it looks like it came molded in yellow and parts were painted over in green, not the other way around.   :thumbsup:

Kudos!   :bow: 
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Tophe

The wood aspect is great! Congratulations :thumbsup:
For the rear post, will there be a bubble above the fuselage? How to make it? (Well, I will see, there is no hurry, but I wonder).
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Brian da Basher

Looking like a million dollars, Allan! The yellow appears flawless and it's great to see all the details coming together.

Thanks for the last shot showing your workbench. You have one of the most relaxing looking modelling areas around.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

Allan

Hi fellows and thank you all kindly for your wonderful comments.
I've removed the rubber bands from the fus, but while waiting for the cement to dry properly attended to the wings. Light blue underneath and RLM 74 (darker color) and 75 (lighter of the two) on top. Pinking shears used with Tamiya tape for the saw-tooth edge.
A few remarks about this. The darker of the two colors is Xtracryix thinned it with warmish water and a little Flow Aid. It went on wonderfully and dried to a hard, robust, satiny finish that I like very much. It looks like the plastic was originally grey, not green, and I think I will use more Xtracrylix from now on.
The lighter of the two is Lifecolor and the first coat was thinned with warm water and Flow Aid, but the paint didn't really click with the thinner. I used Lifecolor thinner with the second coat and it went on much better, but dried to a mattish finish that doesn't reallly look realistic to my eyes and fails in comparison to Xtracrylix. My fav matt varnish, Testors in the spray can, may even things out, but from now on perhaps I will use Lifecolor for cockpit painting only and Xtracryix for fus outer painting where a good finish is essential. Removing the tape from the wings did not produce any paint lifting.
The join under the fus is pretty bad and there is a noticable step. What I might do is sand it a little to make it less noticable and then rely on the wood finish, using oil paint, to hide the flaw. I may need some shims in the fus to wing joint--we'll see.
Allan in Canberra

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

GTX

QuotePinking shears used with Tamiya tape for the saw-tooth edge.

What a simple, but great idea!

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Brian da Basher

What an excellent camo pattern! That's some real "outside the box" thinking Allan!

This one just keeps getting better and better...
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

dumaniac

Alan

yes this is looking really interesting.  I am a 48 scale man myself - I will have to add this to the list of future projects.  Nice going.

Cheers

Bernie in Orange

noxioux

Love it!   :wub:

I think I like the 32 scale WWII fighters.  I've only built one, but the size is just about perfect--really close to 1/48 modern jet engined subjects.

Allan

I'm back from hols and was missing the plane a lot.
I've cemented the wings to the fus and will give it quite a few days to dry. I wanted the fus to wing join to be really strong, so added a shim to the fus--you can see where, it's near the leading edge of the wing and has been added to the fus.
Coming along nicely. Now I have to do some filling and sanding, followed by some more airbrush work and then get stuck into the oil paint!
Allan

Weaver

VERY nice job Allan, particularly on the cammo - that pinking shears trick is one I WILL nick at some point. Don't know if you can get them there (probably can) but here Hobbycraft do sets of "fancy" scissors in a variety of cutting patterns.

edit: or at least they did - can't seem to find them now...... :banghead:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Allan

Thank you one and all for your kind comments
I've started to do some sanding and filling, using Mr Surfacer 500. but for the wing root join I'm going to try to fill the gap with white craft glue, applied thickly with a toothpick and then the excess wiped away with a moist fingertip and cotton bud so as to preserve surface detail. Here's how the first attempt panned out--I'll have to add some more to fill in the large gap, but I expected that.
Allan