Allan-the venerable Revell 109 G in 1/32 scale---wood varnish and tail gunner

Started by Allan, February 11, 2010, 06:58:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taiidantomcat

What a great demonstration of a proven technique. cant wait to see more of your 109  :cheers:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Captain Canada

Nice work there Allan in Canberra ! That's turning into one big, beautiful bird ! I like the wood look....too cool !

:drink:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Brian da Basher

Nice to see you back at this one, Allan! Using white craft glue to fill small gaps is a great idea! You get a nice smooth fill with no sanding!

The yellow fuse looks great with that unique camo!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

noxioux

Allan

Hi
A uniform coat of yellow paint is essential before the oil-based wood grain is applied, so that's what I've been doing of late, making sure the yellow is on properly and that meant numerous coats, flat and gloss and even some undercoating (light blue) to enable the yellow to adhere to places where I did some sanding, and, phew.that was a long sentence!!! It's slowly drying now and I won't touch this plane for a few days. The next time you see it, it may have the wood-grain on it.
Any tips on putting on the oil paint? I've been doing some net study and think I know what to do, but any help would be much appreciated.
Allan in Canberra

Allan

Here's the prop all ready for some Tamiya Yellow stain, followed by some silver.
Burnt sienna acrylic over yellow on the prop.
Allan in Canberra

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Logan Hartke

lancer

If I didn't know better I would have said it was real wood. HOW did you manage to get such a perfect grain on it?? superb work Allan
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

MiB

My virtual repaint site: http://hangarofmib.blogspot.com
--------------------------------------------------------
-"Unlimited technology from the whole universe, and we cruise around in a Ford POS?"

-"Nothing is as it seems, guy!"

ChernayaAkula

Awww, come on, admit it! ;) Those prop blades were carved from real wood, right? No way that's paint!  :o

Truly superb!  :bow:
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

noxioux

That prop is giving me goosebumps.  Incredible.  The yellow in the wood really makes it pop. :thumbsup:

Allan

Thanks fellows.
Here're the tailplanes-I just couldn't capture the same beautiful effect as on the wings with the Xtracrylix 74--may put up with it or remove and try again
Allan

Allan

Hi fellows,
I decided to put on an airbrushed coat of enamel over the acrylic--it's the closest shade I have to the Xtracrylix 74 and is a pretty good match.
Prudently, I used normal thinner, not laquer thinner, to avoid marring the underlying acrylic.
Isn't it strange that we can apply a coat of acrylic very well one day and lose our touch the next?
The backdrop is one of my favorite books and the World Cup fixture schedule.
Allan
I'll remove the tape tomorrow and show you

cthulhu77

sweet mother of pearl !!!  Those are the best wooden blades I have ever seen. Hands down.   :cheers: