Allan-the venerable Revell 109 G in 1/32 scale---wood varnish and tail gunner

Started by Allan, February 11, 2010, 06:58:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Allan

Have to do some touch up work on the weekend--and on the blue underneath
Allan

Allan

It's coming along okay---but just look at the cracked paint on the wingtips--I've have a mind to sand the stuff off and dispense with yellow for evermore--it's just not working for me. What do do, I ask you!?
Advice badly needed
Allan

NARSES2

That's the starngest cracking I 've seen, looks like an insects wing  :blink:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Taiidantomcat

Quote from: NARSES2 on September 30, 2010, 06:44:43 AM
That's the starngest cracking I 've seen, looks like an insects wing  :blink:

Agreed! I think you should leave it though  :wacko:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

sotoolslinger

I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

Allan

I just dunno

I think I'm hoping someone will tell me to sand the bloody yellow off and have another go

Allan

ChernayaAkula

Okay, then! Sand the bloody yellow off and have another go! :lol: Just kiddin'. If you feel it will look better with even paint, re-paint it.  :thumbsup: Much better to redo it now without a lot of hassle than wait and brood about it all the time till you come to the decision you should have sanded it off. Personally, I think I would sand it off. Cool as the effect is, this may not be the right place for it.

When I first saw it, I also thought you had scribed that. It was only when I read NARSES' response that I realized it may have not been done on purpose.
Would be interesting to know whether this particular colour will come out like that all the time. Then you could go wild and come up with your own Lozenge patterns. Just fill in some of the areas in different colours.
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

matrixone

Allan,
Its not that bad...try and smear some Mr Surfacer on the wingtips and gently sand it down and repaint. The cracking might have been from heavy coats of paint put on before the paint under it had a chance to fully dry.

Matrixone

Allan

all sanded off- -yellow not to be used again unless absolutely necessary
peeling off the masking tape has cracked the leading wing edges, necessitating more glueing, sanding and repainted, but at least I won't have to see that bloody awful yellow again
Allan in Canberra

dumaniac

G'day Allan - keep up the good fight - I been making plastic aeroplanes for 50 year now - and I am still getting the hang of it - if every I wanted proof that I was a slow learner - there it is.  chin up mate

Bernie in Orange

Allan

noxioux

Good call on the yellow.  Sometimes it makes your skull ache, but it's worth it in the end!

Allan

the wings are finished, but overspray has marred the fuselage, so I've masked it off and painted some yellow acrylic on the overspray prior to applying some more oil paint. Once that's done I'll attend to the rudder and may resort to brushing on white paint as I don't want white overspray on the fuselage.
Allan in Canberra

Allan

thanks, Bernie, this has been a real odyssey, and it isn't finished
Allan in Canberra