Main Menu

P-80 USAAC

Started by Ed S, February 18, 2010, 09:10:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sequoiaranger

The P-80 looks ready to take on the "Redoubt" that the Germans have inevitably retreated to by 1946.
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

frank2056

That P-80 looks great, Ed! I have a couple of those Airfix kits waiting in the wings.
What was behind that black plastic section of the P/F-80's nose? I've never been able to figure that one out.

Ed S

Quote from: The Rat on February 19, 2010, 05:51:10 AM
By the way, I notice you made the one assembly error that has stung a lot of us, me included...  ;D

OK.  Is this a secret or are you going to share it with the rest of us?  I've got another one of these kits to do sometime and I might as well get that one correct.

Quote from: frank2056 on February 19, 2010, 11:25:49 AM
That P-80 looks great, Ed! I have a couple of those Airfix kits waiting in the wings.
What was behind that black plastic section of the P/F-80's nose? I've never been able to figure that one out.

The black nose was for an antenna.  I think it was for the DF gear, but I'll have to check some references to be sure.

Thanks for all the comments, guys.

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

jcf

Nice Shooting Star, Ed.

I believe Brother Rat is referring to the nose-gear oleo scissors, they should point forward.

:cheers:

Green Dragon

Excellent P-80 Ed, looks well good with the Bazooka tubes! Got two late last year one of which is planned to be USAAF '46, 2nd may be Soviet lend lease if I ever get round to them!

Paul Harrison
"Well, it's rather brutal here. Right now we are advising all our clients to put everything they've got into canned food and shotguns."-Gremlins 2

On the bench.
1/72 Space 1999 Eagle, Comet Miniatures Martian War Machine
1/72nd Quad Tilt Rotor, 1/144th V/STOL E2 Hawkeye (stalled)

PR19_Kit

Wasn't the black bit of the nose the radar range-finder? The F-86 has a similar system in the upper lip of the intake.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

GTX

Damn nice work!!

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Ed S

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 19, 2010, 01:19:50 PM
Wasn't the black bit of the nose the radar range-finder? The F-86 has a similar system in the upper lip of the intake.

No, I looked it up.  The black dielectric panel is the cover for the AN/ARN-6 DF Loop antenna.

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

The Rat

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on February 19, 2010, 11:56:43 AM
I believe Brother Rat is referring to the nose-gear oleo scissors, they should point forward.

Yep. No need for embarrassment though, there's more than a few that have been caught out with that one. Dangitall, it jes don't look right stickin' out in front like that, looks all backerds!  ;D
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

noxioux

Not one of my favorite birds, but that's a really great looking build.  Super cool. :thumbsup:

Mike Wren

that's a really nice model  :wub:

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Ed S on February 19, 2010, 06:32:03 PM
No, I looked it up.  The black dielectric panel is the cover for the AN/ARN-6 DF Loop antenna.

Ed, thanks for clarification on that. Does that mean it could only DF in the forward direction though?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Ed S

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 21, 2010, 09:57:44 AM
Quote from: Ed S on February 19, 2010, 06:32:03 PM

Ed, thanks for clarification on that. Does that mean it could only DF in the forward direction though?

Not sure.  I suspect that it could probably see all around except possibly for directly aft.

Ed

Sisko

Very nicely done whif simple but very effective!

Get this Cheese to sick bay!

John Howling Mouse

Beautiful craftsmanship, Ed...as always. 

This build reminds me of a question: why didn't more WWII piston-engined fighters utilize wingtip tanks?  I always thought that would free up more pylons on the wings for ordnance and/or more fuel.  Was it a power to weight ratio limitation back then or would tip tanks simply not be dependable to jettison once ready to engage the enemy in ACM?  Or were the wings simply not strong enough to handle the fuel's weight on the wingtips?
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.