Melting pot: 50's Jets, or, Ideas are as Cheap as Blackberries

Started by Daryl J., February 21, 2010, 03:01:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daryl J.

Vacuform is fine by me.   I'm still shy when it comes to resin kits.   Too many expended sheckels if FUBAR'ed.

Daryl J., glad for the reference.

jcf

Quote from: Daryl J. on February 26, 2010, 11:37:01 PM
Too many expended sheckels if FUBAR'ed.

I hear that, ask Terry and myself about the Anigrand Republic Rainbow.  :banghead:

Weaver

Quote from: upnorth on February 26, 2010, 10:52:40 PM
Quote from: B787 on February 23, 2010, 02:48:59 AM
Or RF-104? :wub:

Do you mean an F-104 variant that actually had reccon designed into the airframe as opposed to a bolt on pod or pallate?

I know more than a few countries developed camera packs for the F-104 so it could be used for tac recce in the real world.

You could use one of the various RF-5 noses for cameras in place of the standard F-104's radar: the Tigereye nose would make it even more long and pointy... ;D

Don'y know where you'd shoehorn an IR Linescan in if you wanted one though: probably still have to go in an external pod (conformal pod?). It might go in place of the Vulcan's ammo tank, but I'm not sure how big that was on the -104.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Weaver

Quote from: dy031101 on February 26, 2010, 08:37:33 PM
One thing that has always got my attention is the XF-91 Thunderceptor.

What if it had to chance to undergo aerodynamic evolution?  What if, in pursuit of a higher top-speed, it underwent a planeform change?  With Convair?

(Okay, I admit that I want to see XF-91 with tailless delta-wings...... later evolved with a slim radar nose, lateral air intakes, area-ruled fuselage, etc.)

Not quite what you wanted, but I did this evolved XF-91 Thunderdragon some time ago:

In similar vein, this was done using an XF-92 as a starting point:

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

Daryl,

Quote from: Daryl J. on February 26, 2010, 09:10:52 PM
Any styrene kits of the XF-90 or XF-93 in any scale, or 1/72 Vampire, Venom, Sea Venom?

I think Airmodel did a vacform XF-90 in 1/72, but I'm not sure you'd count that as a 'kit'  -_- As with most easrly Airmodels it was a bit basic. And I think someone, maybe Ventura or one of the UK small firms did a conversion fuselage for the XF-93.

As for Vampires etc, almost everyone has done one!  :lol:

Frog were first off with an FB5 and then Heller did another gorgeous one, which Airfix later took over under their own name. Frog did the Sea Venom FAW21, which could be carved into an NF3, and cross kitted with the Vampires to make a single seat Venom. Aeroclub did a Vampire T11 and a Venom FB3 as well I think. Bags of scope there, but none are in current production, naturally.

There is one Czech resin Venom available now, but it costs THIRTY EIGHT pounds! That's about £10 per inch of wingspan.......
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

dy031101

Quote from: Weaver on February 27, 2010, 02:37:21 AM
Not quite what you wanted, but I did this evolved XF-91 Thunderdragon some time ago......

The ASP book mentioned that there was an abortive plan to convert the XF-92 into a flying prototype for the Delta Dagger project.  I wonder what it would have looked like.
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

Daryl J.

RCAF outfitted with AW.169's and DH.117's rather than the Voodoo and Starfighter.   

:cheers: (An exotic darjeeling brewed at 185 degrees and filtered in gold)
Daryl J.

Daryl J.

Valiant with swing wings.     Since there is going to be a mainstream Valiant in 1/72!!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

:cheers: (Petigalla Ceylon tea with cream,sugar)
Daryl J.