Today I did something I've never done before: I Threw a kit in the bin!

Started by van883, February 26, 2010, 09:55:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

van883

the kit in question was the Whirlykit Rockwell XFV12A. I have built vacforms before and I know I am not an expert  builder, however in this case nothing fitted, the plastic was soft and VERY thin and it was moulded asymmetrically. A piece of s*it really-worse even than an Airmodel kit I once put together. To illustrate my point, I actually tore the fuselage in 2 -the plastic was that soft and flexible.
I feel better now!

-_-

Van

slackjack

Bummer... I'd think a guy could scratchbuild one with some effort, since it used an A-4 canopy, F-4 scoops, and some other USN components.

Sorry to see you had such a bad experience.

Ed S

I have found that a large hammer works for me in this situation.  When some serious kit "bashing" is called for.

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

Sisko

It is a rare occurrence for me but I have done it. Do it sooner rather than experience absolute frustration with it later.
Get this Cheese to sick bay!

thedarkmaster

I've done it  mate, it's better than tearing your hair out. Sometimes whrn i model i can get so frustrated that i just need to break somethinh, so i keep pencils close by for that, the satisfying snap when they break makes me feel much better.   :wacko:  :wacko:  :wacko:  :wacko:
Everything looks better with the addition of British Roundels!

the Empires Twilight facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Empires-twilight/167640759919192

"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." - Carl Schurz

Aircav

When I was younger I bounced the odd kit against the wall in frustration, it can be very satisfying  ;D
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

PR19_Kit

Taking the darn things into the back yard, finding a handy paving slab and STAMPING on them produces great feelings of satisfaction too!  -_-
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Last time I did this was with a Revell Hurricane IIC - had a bit of a rogue kit and it fought me all the way. I won in the end though  ;D :banghead:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kitbasher

Not happened to me yet, although I do tend to play safe with my kit purchases.  Only ever built one vacform (a Rareplanes Meteor F8) and have another cut out and ready to go (well, I cut it out and it's been ready to go for at least 10 years!).  Some kits have scared me in the past (Pegasus Balliol and Defiant, Merlin Vampire T10 and Meator F8, for example), but I've either sold them on, chopped them up and used bits in other builds or ignored them in the hope that they'll run away.  Taken the plunge just this week with the Merlin Meteor, though.  ;D ;D
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

sideshowbob9

I once ripped an airfix Tornado in two in absolute frustration. Fit together waaaaaay better after that!  :blink:

Sometimes frustrated is where you need to be.

ChrisF

Im hearing you on the tornado... Look at my past posts and you'll see my "desert storm" build... Christ that thing fought me every step !!   >:(  lol

JayBee

Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

Tojo633

an air rifle in the back garden or depending where you are a .44 Smith and Wesson if you really want to stress relief!!
Sandy

chrisonord

I have not as yet binned a kit but have been very close. Because of the cost of the things these days, I just swear a lot take a breath, then put it back in its box and back in the stash. If the kit is that bad I will strip it of any usable bits and and put them in the relevant bits boxes. Whe I was a kid though, it was different, and if they didn't go together properly they became .22 air gun fodder  :wacko:
Chris.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

van883

I saved various bits and pieces but the fuselage is in the bin!

van