bare metal finish

Started by rickshaw, March 01, 2010, 01:09:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickshaw

What is the easiest and cheapest method of achieving a good "bare metal finish"?  I don't have an airbrush and so was wondering if there were alternatives around which were easier and cheaper (and purchasing an airbrush)?
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

NARSES2

Without an airbrush best method is probably a good automotive rattle can (spray paint). I use Halfords in the UK and you can get a good result. Lots of different silvers/aluminiums to choose from as well

Chris
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Hobbes

Yep, without an airbrush you're left with rattle cans. Or brush painting can be done with Humbrol (and other) metallics [1], if you get the paint:thinner ratio just right you can get a nice finish.

1: not the Humbrol Metalcote range though, that's strictly airbrush for colors 27001-27003. For some reason, 27004 can be applied with a brush.

rickshaw

I seem to remember from my dark, distant past there were some sort of paste/polishes which could be applied which would give a very good metallic finish.   Are they still around and used?   What about foil?  Is that easily applied?

Mossie

I think that's SnJ Powder, you rub it in to a base colour then polish it off.  It dissappeared some time ago, then was reintroduced a few years back (so I'm told) better format.
http://www.hawkeyeshobbies.com/

Bare Metal Foil is an adhesive metal film, some find it fiddly, but I've seen some fantastic results.
http://www.bare-metal.com/

Brush painting, I can reccommend Games Workshop's Citadel Colour metallic acryllics.  They brush paint lovely, just dip your brush into a 1:1 mix of screen wash (cheaper the better) to water before dipping it in the paint.  There are seven metallic shades, you can probably forget the two gold ones, but the rest are useful & you can mix them to produce a variety of colours.

They are:
Mithril Silver, a bright silver shade
Chainmail, a light aluminum shade
Boltgun metal, a dark aluminium/light gunmetal shade
Tin Bitz, a deep copper/bronze
Dwarf Bronze, a bright bronze shade

I do have some experience with these, they'll probably give you as good a metallic finish as you can get with brush paints (that I know of at least).  I used them for my 1 Week GB build last year.  The main body is Chainmail, the missiles are Boltgun Metal.  The tailpipe is mix of Boltgun Metal & Tin Bitz, with some other colours progressively dry brushed to get a colour variation (not easy to see in the pic).

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Weaver

Quote from: Mossie on March 01, 2010, 07:36:13 AM
Brush painting, I can reccommend Games Workshop's Citadel Colour metallic acryllics.  They brush paint lovely, just dip your brush into a 1:1 mix of screen wash (cheaper the better) to water before dipping it in the paint.  There are seven metallic shades, you can probably forget the two gold ones, but the rest are useful & you can mix them to produce a variety of colours.

What's the function of the screenwash?
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Mossie

It helps the paint flow more easily, without it the brush strokes seem to show more.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

NARSES2

I'm old enough to remember the "buffing paste" but never used it. Goes back to the 70's at least, didn't realise it had been reissued.

Bare metal foil can be very good, but also very fiddly and "drama evoking" for those with less then nimble fingers  :banghead:

I've heard about the screenwash trick, not used it but I'll give it a go. Anything that helps.

Thanks Mossie

Chris
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

jcf

I believe rickshaw is referring to the Rub'n'Buff brand metallic "antiquing & decorating" wax, which has been continually available,
its just that most modelers found other solutions for metal finish effects.

http://www.amaco.com/shop/product-437-rub-39-n-buff-metallic-finishes.html

In the US it is commonly available in craft and art supply shops.

My brother did a Monogram 1/48th B-29 with Rub-n-Buff back when the kit was first released in the '70s,
the finish still looked good over twenty years later.

rickshaw

Rub'n'Buff is indeed the stuff (or something very similar) to what I was thinking of.  I might try some and see how well it works.

What, by the way, is "screenwash"?

NARSES2

Quote from: rickshaw on March 03, 2010, 02:25:39 AM

The stuff you put in your windscreen washer bottle

rickshaw

Quote from: NARSES2 on March 03, 2010, 02:42:20 AM
Quote from: rickshaw on March 03, 2010, 02:25:39 AM

The stuff you put in your windscreen washer bottle

Detergent?  Or elbow grease?  ;)

Mossie

If your willing to put elbow grease in while on the cars on the move, then let me know if you're within fifty miles! :blink:

rickshaw

Quote from: Mossie on March 03, 2010, 04:23:29 AM
If your willing to put elbow grease in while on the cars on the move, then let me know if you're within fifty miles! :blink:

No, no, thats what the kids are for!  I drive, they wash the windscreen!   :lol:

Mossie

That's okay then! :lol:  I remember seeing an episode of Top Gear where they were talking about driving in India.  One of the guests mentioned he seen two lads one the front of truck with a busted radiator, one pouring the water in the top, the other catching it out the bottom & passing it back to the other!