Valiant

Started by Daryl J., March 04, 2010, 09:40:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daryl J.

Since Airfix is bringing the Valiant mainstream, how about a swing winged version?   

:cheers:
Daryl J.

PR19_Kit

Cross-kitted with a B-1B then?

I can't think of anything else that big with swing wings, apart from a Tu-160, and that's probably TOO big!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 04, 2010, 02:35:14 PM
Cross-kitted with a B-1B then?

I can't think of anything else that big with swing wings, apart from a Tu-160, and that's probably TOO big!

Taking into consideration that I think that the Soviets copied the u/c system of the Valiant B.2, I think a Tu-22M swing wing would work
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

TsrJoe

Kits ...

1/159 injection Lincon / Kadar Vickers Valiant B.1
1/96 injection Frog Vickers Valiant B.1
1/72 vacuform Contrail Vickers Valiant B.1 (early and revised issues)
1/72 vacuform Aircraft in Miniature Vickers Valiant B.1 (reissue of Contrail)
1/72 vacuform Contrail Vickers Valiant B.2
1/72 vacuform Aircraft in Miniature Vickers Valiant B.2 (reissue of Contrail)
1/144 vacuform Welsh Models Vickers Valiant B.1
1/72 injection Mach2 Vickers Valiant B.1
1/72 injection Airfix Vickers Valiant B.1

accessories ...

1/72 resin Two Mikes intakes for Mach2 kit (72003)
1/72 resin Two Mikes main landing wheels for Mach2 kit  (72005)

modellers references ...

Aerofax Vickers Valiant by Eric Morgan & Tony Buttler
Warpaint 63 Vickers Valiant by Tony Buttler
... 'i reject your reality and substitute my own !'

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

TsrJoe

one accessory id love to see is a 'drop in' tanking bay, other than that Airfix have provided us with a very neat model which fits really well, and is well up to current standards, i cant see much that the aftermarket crowd would convince us as 'must buy's for it

ps. if building one of the white airframes, especially those used during 'Grapple' etc, fill all those heavy panel lines, the real ones were actually filled too !
hmm, i wonder how long it will take for Airfix to be seen as heavy on the trenches as was Matchbox of old ? next time im at Cosford i will take a photo showing that the panels on the real one actually match the kit ones for size !  :wacko:

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

kitnut617

According to my copy of PAK-20

Frog kit was reboxed by Tri-ang/France & Tri-ang/NZ
Lincoln kit was reboxed by International Modeling

Another one for Joe's list

Wimco Hollows 1/144

TsrJoe

cheers for the additions, i wasnt aware of the early vacuformed one, cool, altho according to the Jetex website the Wimco Valiant didnt see release ?

http://jetex.org/archive/smoky/200605.shtml      ... info piece on Wimco Hollows
http://jetex.org/archive/smoky/200814.shtml      ... advert for WH. Valiant model

others to add in the scale model listing would be the 1/96 balsa kit by Veron super-truscale and the nice ready made 1/144 examples by Corgi

cheers, joe

kitnut617

I think it was released Joe, because the PAK-20 book even gives a value price if you can find a second hand one (production of WH kits ended in the 60's).

One that was announced but not released was a Nova Models 1/72 kit.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: kitnut617 on July 12, 2011, 06:24:35 AM
According to my copy of PAK-20

Frog kit was reboxed by Tri-ang/France & Tri-ang/NZ

I have one of those Triang France ones, just the same as the Frog issue but in French (what a surprise....)  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

GTX

Recent comment on Maverick's Profiles thread:

Quote from: GTX on July 18, 2011, 12:07:59 PM
Quote from: MAD on July 17, 2011, 09:24:03 PM
Very nice USAF Variant's John!!

I don't know if everyone is aware, but Curtis LeMay, was very impressed with the Valiant design!
He was so impressed by its cockpit arrangement, that this is why the B-52's original fighter-like cockpit arrangement (aka B-47 style!!!) was replaced to what it is in the production versions we see today!!
So the idea of the Valiant in USAF may not have been to far fetched  :thumbsup:

M.A.D

Of course, an interesting whiff might also be to go the other way and have the Valiant equiped with a B-47 style canopy... ;)

I sometimes even listen to my own suggestions:

Higher res version available upon request if anyone wants to 'colour it in'.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Weaver

Yeah, now there's an idea: reverse reality and have B-47 wings cracking and leading to early retirement, and a US "B-57-ised" version of the Valiant made for SAC as a stop-gap.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Joe C-P

Oh. I thought you meant HMS Valiant.
:-\

In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

Weaver

I presume that lots of people have the B Mk.2 low-level "pathfinder" version on their to-do lists?

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

rickshaw

Quote from: Weaver on July 26, 2011, 06:40:00 PM
I presume that lots of people have the B Mk.2 low-level "pathfinder" version on their to-do lists?

When/if a conversion becomes available.  I think one in anti-flash white would look more interesting than the gloss black scheme of the prototype.  I'd also need more detailed plans than I presently have if I was to attempt it myself.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

rallymodeller

NIVO would be fitting considering the role envisioned. However, production B.2s probably would have had camo right from the get-go, what with the low-level mission profile.
--Jeremy

Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part...

More into Flight Sim reskinning these days, but still what-iffing... Leading Edge 3D