Valiant

Started by Daryl J., March 04, 2010, 09:40:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Rat

Quote from: rickshaw on March 10, 2014, 08:27:03 PM
I've been rather surprised there hasn't been a B.2 conversion set created for the Airfix Valiant... :blink:

Me too, that was one of the first things I expected to see.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

kitnut617

Quote from: The Rat on March 10, 2014, 09:17:40 PM
I've been rather surprised there hasn't been a B.2 conversion set created for the Airfix Valiant... :blink:

I expect to see one in the very near future --
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

The Rat

Quote from: kitnut617 on March 11, 2014, 05:18:58 AM

He says rather knowingly. Hmmmmm.... :mellow:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

kitnut617

Quote from: The Rat on March 11, 2014, 05:44:55 AM
Quote from: kitnut617 on March 11, 2014, 05:18:58 AM

He says rather knowingly. Hmmmmm.... :mellow:

Can't say anymore I'm afraid ---

Captain Canada

Yes I'd really like to see one as well...it's either that or do my own. But that Valiant is really one kit I'd like to build and see hanging in my house ! Gorgeous aeroplane.....

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

DarrenP

with the retirement of valiant RAF support Helicopter was able to pick up a lot of crew for Borneo

Pellson

Hi lads.

Fiddling around with my Airfix Valiant, I notice that there are two options for the IFR probe, a short, seemingly blanked off one and an extended, complete with coupling in the front. At least that's how I interpret it.
Googling the probe, one unidentified source says that the probe was retractable. However, looking at similar installations on russian aircraft, they frequently seem to sport detachable probes, when detached leaving "stub snouts" much like the short option in the kit.

Can anyone of you bring some clarity to this? Was the Valiant IFR probe retractable or not?

Thanks

//P
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

PR19_Kit

No, it wasn't AFAIK.

But they were detachable and the short end is the blanking plug that was fitted when the probe was removed.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Pellson

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 16, 2016, 11:52:23 AM
No, it wasn't AFAIK.

But they were detachable and the short end is the blanking plug that was fitted when the probe was removed.

Thanks a lot, Kit. Helpful as always.
I suspect you might see where this is going. ;)
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

Default Setting

The Vickers Valiant had a much shorter service life than the two other "V Bombers", being retired in 1965 barely a decade after its initial deployment, due to premature fatigue. This was itself caused, in part, by the aircraft's reassignment from a high-altitude to a low-altitude bomber. While repairs were underway, it was decided to permanently retire the Valiant years earlier than planned.

Had the decision to retire the aircraft not been made, how much longer could it have served before reaching obsolescence?

An associated question is, would Britain have accepted to sell the Valiant to a foreign country, which could then have kept flying it after its retirement back home?
The one duty we owe to history is to rewrite it.
-- Oscar Wilde

kitnut617

The Valiant was upgraded, it was called the B.2.  Have a look at the Aircraft in Miniature website to see the 1/72 conversion they do for the Airfix kit

PR19_Kit

As usual in such matters it was a matter of money. No doubt all the B1s could have been upgraded to the B2 spec. that Kitnut617 mentions, but would it have been value for money for the British tax payer?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

sandiego89

A Valiant in Argentinian service would make for a interesting WHIF, say around 1982?   :wacko:

I would say even with upgrades, the end would have come by the 1970's in RAF service as tankers.  Or perhaps mid 1980's with some second users.   

Maybe some other exports had they decided to be in the bomber business- a few might even have been allowed:
Canada
Australia
India
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

kitnut617

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 23, 2017, 11:14:23 AM
As usual in such matters it was a matter of money. No doubt all the B1s could have been upgraded to the B2 spec. that Kitnut617 mentions, but would it have been value for money for the British tax payer?

Yeah! in reality they didn't need to be upgraded, that's because the Victor and Vulcan proved to be better than first thought. So the Valiant became redundant.

McColm

I'm sure that if the money had been available at the time the B2 or a new winged version would have been put into service, or perhaps the troop transport/airliner proposal.
Just out of curiosity what would of happened to the Short Sperrin if that had gone into production?