F-16 in digital camo

Started by Radish, March 04, 2010, 10:54:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Radish

Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

beowulf

extremly nice!  :thumbsup:

but i think my brain would implode just trying to work out how to do something like that!
.............hes a very naughty boy!
allergic to aircraft in grey!
The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time........Bertrand Russell
I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ......Edmund Blackadder

ysi_maniac

Will die without understanding this world.

ChernayaAkula

You can see more pics of this fantastic piece of work >>HERE<< (about half-way down).
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Fulcrum

I currently have the magazine(with the article in it) next to my computer, the thing got me to think if I can salvage the CFT's off a 1:48 F-15E & put it on my 1:48 F-16C Blk. 25/32.
Fulcrums Forever!!!
Master Assembler

KJ_Lesnick

It's not actually that complicated looking.  It's remarkably time consuming and tedious, and would require a lot of time taping everything up, spraying it, drying it, untaping it, retaping it, spraying it, letting it dry, untaping it, re-taping it, spraying it, etc...
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

kitnut617

OK, I don't actually understand this camo scheme, is it for camouflage against digital photography, because it doesn't look natural otherwise.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Taiidantomcat

From wikipedia:

Digital camouflage (or "digicam") is a pattern devised by utilizing small micropatterns, as opposed to larger macropatterns for effective disruption. The theory is that large blotches of color with sharp outlines are easier to see, while "blurring" the edges of the colored patches makes the outlines, and thus the objects, harder to discern.

at a distance it causes colors to blend together. If you have ever gotten close to an old color TV you see just three colors, or in printing you only use four colors. however if you stand further away those colors are able to appear as a different color right? digital camo is kind of the same way, stand in front of a green background the colors will appear green and believe it or not the other colors will help with the shading to even look closer in shade and tint to the background. USMC digital uniforms are very hard to see, I know first hand. you could watch Marines walk from green hills on to a dirt road and before your eyes you would swear the uniform was green just a second ago and now brown on the road then back to green when they get to the other side and go into the woods. Your eye has a hard time picking out all the little pixels so it just sees them as one shade, usually the same color as the background because it is predominant.
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

comrade harps

Whatever.

kitnut617

Quote from: Taiidantomcat on March 05, 2010, 01:41:20 PM
From wikipedia:

Digital camouflage (or "digicam") is a pattern devised by utilizing small micropatterns, as opposed to larger macropatterns for effective disruption. The theory is that large blotches of color with sharp outlines are easier to see, while "blurring" the edges of the colored patches makes the outlines, and thus the objects, harder to discern.

at a distance it causes colors to blend together. If you have ever gotten close to an old color TV you see just three colors, or in printing you only use four colors. however if you stand further away those colors are able to appear as a different color right? digital camo is kind of the same way, stand in front of a green background the colors will appear green and believe it or not the other colors will help with the shading to even look closer in shade and tint to the background. USMC digital uniforms are very hard to see, I know first hand. you could watch Marines walk from green hills on to a dirt road and before your eyes you would swear the uniform was green just a second ago and now brown on the road then back to green when they get to the other side and go into the woods. Your eye has a hard time picking out all the little pixels so it just sees them as one shade, usually the same color as the background because it is predominant.

Thanks for that   :thumbsup:
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Cybermax

Impressive work with that paint job!  And the other impressive thing to me is FineScale is still around?  I haven't seen them in years!

Radish

To be honest, I've not bought or looked at FSM for years, but when I did, the F-16 turned up! :lol:
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

tigercat2

Quote from: Taiidantomcat on March 05, 2010, 01:41:20 PM
From wikipedia:

This is great information.  Did not know this about digital camo; seems like it is almost a "poor man's" visual stealth.  Is it equally effective on aircraft as it is with digital uniforms?

Wes W.

ChernayaAkula

Quote from: Taiidantomcat on March 05, 2010, 01:41:20 PM<...> Your eye has a hard time picking out all the little pixels so it just sees them as one shade, usually the same color as the background because it is predominant.

No kidding!
Now, the weapon and gloves in tan and he'd be all but invisible.

Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Taiidantomcat

Great picture Moritz, And that is the Army version too! Still works great. Here is the USMC Desert:

and a USMC F/A-18 for Wes:

"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.