Main Menu

Luft F-14

Started by Taiidantomcat, March 04, 2010, 08:48:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taiidantomcat

Blohm and Voss inspired

Really seeking opinions on this mock up because I have a few different details I am kicking around (like an F-23 style pelican tail)

I am really concerned about time, so I may have to go with a more simple less bashed Tomcat for this GB

Speak now or forever hold your peace! Thanks for looking  :cheers:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Weaver

So if you've got the F-16 intake under the cockpit for that engine, what's going in the original intake of the other engine since that's got an F-16 intake too? Also, what's going in the middle?

Don't know if you've got the bits, but how about a cockpit (not neccessarily an F-14 one) on BOTH engine pods and a big single intake in the middle, made from the original ones siamesed together?
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

jorel62

That's hot...... can't wait to see her finished :thumbsup:

Taiidantomcat

Quote from: Weaver on March 05, 2010, 02:35:15 AM
So if you've got the F-16 intake under the cockpit for that engine, what's going in the original intake of the other engine since that's got an F-16 intake too? Also, what's going in the middle?

Don't know if you've got the bits, but how about a cockpit (not neccessarily an F-14 one) on BOTH engine pods and a big single intake in the middle, made from the original ones siamesed together?

Thanks Weaver! I don't know if i am going to do the twin cockpit idea on this one, but i am writing it down or a future build, that is gold. That Siamese idea is interesting. ideally I would add a big honkin 1/32 F-16 intake and a single engine on the side opposite the cockpit (Like Eddie M's F-15 Single Engine) I added the F-16 intakes so it would look a little more different and i like the way the one looks under the nose. The middle section will have a big piece of styrene that fills the blank space in the middle, Starting on the front intake and ending at the nose/ fuselage piece. I wanted to include it in the pics but ran out of time to fashion one up.

Thanks Jorel!

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

jcf

Quote from: Weaver on March 05, 2010, 02:35:15 AM

Kinda like the Lockheed Sabre Warrior UCAV concept, but with a cockpit in each nose.

http://www.botjunkie.com/2009/11/04/lockheed-martin-sabre-warrior-ucav-concept-has-two-noses/

tc2324

Think I`d go with what Weaver said, have the intake in the middle and make it a single engine aircraft. One change you may want to consider, is having the cockpit as it is and make the port(?) intake as an internal weapons bay to give it a `stealth` capability? I would also go with just the one vertical stabilizer, perhaps from an A-5 Vigilante in the centre above the single engine exhaust?
74 `Tiger` Sqn Association Webmaster

Tiger, Tiger!

ChernayaAkula

Don't let Tophe see this. He'll have a heart attack!  :wacko:

Way wacky. Way cool.  :thumbsup:
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Taiidantomcat

Just a quick update, sorry for the blurry pics took these a few days ago and the pit is in now so no retakes! I am also going with a more vonventional F-14 layout. I don't think I would be able to do all the required PSR for this one in time. However it will still be a Blohm and Voss inspiration  :cheers:

ysi_maniac

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Really inspired! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

BTW: is that Tomcat in Russian colors yours?
Will die without understanding this world.

Taiidantomcat

Sure is  :cheers:

http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,26807.0.html

I am still trying to work on this one but life (work, school, soccer "football" to you Europeans) is getting in the way

Taiidantomcat

Mock up:

Tail inspired by BV p.215

If I could do it again I would make the vertical fins a little smaller in order to leave more room for the main wings. oh well, next time.

Taiidantomcat

I am about to go and work on this a little more, but before I do I just thought I would note that I am having a tough time deciding on a paint scheme  :unsure:

So far I am waivering between

Early/pre war two tone green splinter (Leaning toward this at the moment)
Mid war generic 109/190 camo
Something from a Peter Allan Profile (Mr.Allen uses luftwaffe colors but in a different pattern)

Or this black HE-177:

Taiidantomcat

I decided on the Pre/early war Green Splinter, but have not had a chance to even prime the model thanks to the weather here the last few days. Its 43 degrees (as of this moment) wind, rain, hail, and snow for the last four days in MAY in NEW MEXICO :blink:. I want my global warming this desert is cold!  :banghead:

Taiidantomcat

Obligatory messy workbench pic:

My lovely girlfriend  :wub: helped with the decals! Last update until the deadline, still trying to get a few more things going but right now i am very happy  :cheers: More pictures on Sunday

Taiidantomcat

Finished!  :cheers:

Nose art from ChukW/Fritzi:

Used with his permission (Thank You so much!!)

I got my girlfriend bitten by the modeling bug when I first showed her the above pic from Fritzi, I am lucky to have a Girlfriend who looks just like her (and even she agreed despite being her own harshest critic) I explained the whole GB to her and she was very supportive, finally it was decaling time and she wanted to help. She really got into it and had a lot of fun, so much so that I had a second kit in the decaling stage so we did that one also!

I had written to Fritzi Through ARC a couple months ago and got his permission to use the wonderful characters he has created. My original plan was to hand paint her, but then my girlfriend asked "is there a way you can make your own decals?" Yes! Yes there is! In fact I had all the tools to do it too but for some reason was determined to do it the hard way  :banghead: so she saved me some serious work (not to mention squinting!) We got it sized up together, cut and applied and I think she looks great we had to go through all my decals to find the Heart (which came from a F-102 of all places)

Back Story:

A Blohm and Voss Prototype the BV. 14 Was flown to Egypt in 1936 to get propaganda photos of the Third Reich's most advanced aircraft. The aircraft broke down however, and was forced to land in a rather remote airfield near Alexandria next to a Nazi archeological dig. While stranded, and with its original mission canceled, an enterprising mechanic applied nose art at the request of the crew. After a couple of weeks another Blohm and Voss machine, A flying wing transport plane brought the required parts to fix the BV 14 shortly before the flying wing was blown up by American Saboteurs!

Mechanics worked all night on the BV. 14 to get it airworthy in time to hunt for a stolen and important artifact believed to be on a ship somewhere nearby. The BV. 14 took off in the early morning hours and thanks to its superior speed and range was able to find the transport ship and radio a nearby U-Boat for an intercept that lead to the recovery of the highly important cargo.

On its way back to the Blohm and Voss factory it landed at a Top Secret base on a small island in the Mediterranean to refuel. Upon Take off the BV. 14 ran into a sudden storm of biblical proportions and crashed into the sea, lost forever.

:cheers: