Blohm & Voss BV465 "Turmfalke"

Started by Spey_Phantom, March 05, 2010, 12:53:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spey_Phantom

Luftwaffe march plays

Back History:

in 1955, Herman Goering sent out a propsal for a new 2-seat supersonic long-range fighter-interceptor. this following the abilities of the allies to bomb Germany with new long range bombers taking off from the US, armed with the new hounddog nuclear cruise missile. the luftwaffe needed a new fighter that could take out these bombers and, if required, the missiles that have been launched.

Messerschmitt, Arado, Focke-Wulf and Blohm & Voss all submitted revolutionary designs, but Arado soon fell out cause the company was already having its hands full with the building of new anti-submarine and CAS aircraft for both the luftwaffe and the kriegsmarine, and Messerschmitt's design was ruled out due to the inmense technical and operational problems its design would face. in the end Focke-Wulf and Blohm&Voss were the last 2 in the running and in 1957, the latter was declared the winner.

the BV465 "Turmfalke" (Kestrel) had a more conventional and simple layout witch combined a hightech radar and advanced guided weapons with excelent speed and performance. its first prototype, the P.108 first flew on april 9, 1959, anw on its 5th flight a week later, it broke the sound barrier. the first production aircraft, the BV465-A1 rolled out of the factory on december 15 1959. the production aircraft featured a more powerful JUnkers J025 jet engine and a new Fieseler Fi6541 All weather radar with a range of 200km², the aircraft was also one of the first in germany to be equiped with Germany's first BVR missile, the Rürhstall X26a, a meduim-range semi-active AAM with a range of 35km. the first unit to be equiped with the fighter was Jagdgeschwader 1, based in Jever in march 1960, becoming fully operational 3 months later. the same unit also took the BV465 hypersonic, reaching a speed of Mach 2.02 on april 16 1960.

the BV465 booked its first succes, when JG1 shot down 4 RAF Vulcan B.1's witch were on a reconflight over the coastline in june 1960. in total 260 BV465's were build, being operated by 10 luftwaffe squadrons. when the allies finally declared victory over germany in 1965, all aircraft were scrapped as part of the disarmament of germany, however 68 aircraft managed to survive operating in Switserland (24), austria (12) and Hungaria (32). the last BV465 was retired from Austrian service in 1970, when they were replaced by the Saab J35 Draken.

the model:

the baseline model will be a PM Model 1/72 Sukhoi SU-15 Flagon kit (2-seater UB) with decals from the spares box. as for the Rührsthall missiles, im planning look in my spares box to "germanise" some older soviet missiles.

pics will be posted soon  ;D
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

buzzbomb

Hmm. I like this timeline and planned build.

Taiidantomcat

The two seat Flagon is off the beaten path, I'm excited!
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Spey_Phantom

UPDATE:

as promised some pictures. i managed to find some decals i had left over from a revell Me262, FW Flitzer and airfix Bf109F. im gonna make it up as an interceptor (white 4) from JG53 stationed in Vienna. as for a camo patern, i'll think of something cool  :mellow:

on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

ChernayaAkula

Sounds like a good plan!  :thumbsup: Can't wait to see what you'll choose for camouflage!
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Spey_Phantom

UPDATE:

after some delay, finally got glueing and painting.
first i applied some blue/grey for the inside of the cockpit, for references im looking at images and painting instructions from the Me262 and the FW Flitzer. ive also been having thoughts of a desert camo for the Africa operations, but i think im gonna go with a more traditional luftwaffe camo. im gonna go through some of my magazines and documentation to find a good profile for camo, gonna look at BF109 and FW190 paterns.

here are some pics of the progress, the wings have been assembled, gonna put the pylons on later.
the first 2 missiles have been put together and im gonna make them up in the same colors as the Ruhrstahl X4's.

on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Spey_Phantom

im just about to start on painting the cockpit parts, but i thought before that i would show off the missiles, basicly the kits stock missiles painted up as ruhrstahl X4's, decided to call them Ruhrstahl X11's

on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Spey_Phantom

ok got another update  :mellow:

the seats have been painted and are now installen into the cockpit. both fuselage halves have been gleud together.
the wings are almost finished aswell, but im gonna paint them in camo first before putting them on the fuselage. landding gear fitting should start soon after.

on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Spey_Phantom

was gonna post these last night, but my PC was already shut down for the night.
the camo has been applied and the first decals are on. i cant reveal anything yet, as there is still a lot of work to be done on it  :mellow:
the paint isnt dry enough yet, so im gonna waita few hours more, in the mean time, im gonna start loking for what im gonna build as a possible second entry.

one thing i should not is that the struts of the canopy are HUGE, so if your planning on buying this kit, you might concider using another canopy  :huh:

on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Spey_Phantom

Ladies und Gentlemen,

Sie plane ist Finished  ;D

on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Slerski

She looks right. It seems that she was born to wear these colours  :thumbsup:
« Le MAGIC, c'est fantastique !! » [Sgt Vincent D., FAF armourer]

« Un Pétaf qui s'ennuie est un Pétaf dangereux... »

ChernayaAkula

Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

GTX

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

NARSES2

Quote from: Slerski on March 21, 2010, 01:13:27 PM
She looks right. It seems that she was born to wear these colours  :thumbsup:

Beat me to it, my thoughts exactly
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Taiidantomcat

"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.