Is it just me?

Started by philp, March 09, 2010, 06:25:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

philp

Everytime I see a diorama with a bridge in it, I look for the guys hiding under it.  Doesn't matter who is on the bridge, there always seems to be somebody hiding out.  French Resistance, US paratroopers, etc when the Germans are on it or a lost German soldier when the Allies take the bridge.  I even get frustrated when I look and there is no one under, I am just expecting them to be there.

So, any other modeling peeves.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

Radish

It's amazing how often people weather aircraft to the "N"th degree, but don't weather the tyres, or the propellors. A few "chips" on the front of the prop blades and that's it.
Have they ever looked at a prop blade in real life? Front AND back?
:angry:
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

Howard of Effingham

overdone panel lines, just drive me nuts.
Keeper of George the Cat.

Weaver

I think a lot of weathering and wash/drybrushing is overdone. The results are attractive, but somehow cartoon-like. Looking at a small model is the same as looking at the real thing from a considerable distance away, and you just don't see panel lines that well defined from a distance.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Army of One

Agreed with Weaver..........some awesome work on models spoilt by overdone panel lines....seen some that looked as though they had been applied with a fine tip permanent marker,shame really...
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

philp

I think the panel line thing is more artistic than realistic.  Done to break up the color but I agree it doesn't look that realistic when compared to the real thing.  Kind of like the Verlinden technique to weathering armor, way too dark IMHO.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

cthulhu77

Well, I think weathering should be applied according to the backstory.  A tank just off the line would have minimal weathering, as would a jet that is just being rolled out...but, I have seen jets and tanks that have been in the field, and I guarantee you, panel lines and weathered effects are easily seen.  Jets get washed more often than tanks, true...but an A-10 just back from a stint has pronounced panel lines.

Weaver

Depends what it's painted with too, of course. That Japanese "flaking green over NMF" look might seem overdone to a casual observer, yet the actual aircraft really did weather than badly.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

jcf

Quote from: Weaver on March 10, 2010, 09:54:24 AM
Depends what it's painted with too, of course. That Japanese "flaking green over NMF" look might seem overdone to a casual observer, yet the actual aircraft really did weather than badly.

Of course that is often over applied as it depends on which service (IJA or IJN), which aircraft, where and when.
On occasion I've seen people do early war Zeros that are as chipped up and flaked as a mid-to-late war
IJA fighter with a quick coat of green applied directly over un-primed aluminum, it is simply not correct for
the early war Zero. IJN paint requirements and application processes for shipboard aircraft were just as stringent
as those of the US and UK and their paints were of similar quality.

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Quote from: philp on March 09, 2010, 06:25:59 PM
So, any other modeling peeves.

'You mean apart from competition judges simply not knowing their subject ??..... Oh okay, well one of mine is folks who forget to simulate weight on the wheels of their (aircraft) models, such a simple thing to reproduce and so oft' forgotten - I'm talking 'bout competition stuff here  :blink:

Overloading with too much and/or incorrect ordnance - there's a modeller who was VERY prominant over on ARC some years ago who consistantly did that - I politely pointed-out to him via PM that a US Navy A-1H would not carry the 5-tube bomblet dispenser that comes with the Tamiya kit as it's an Air Force weapon - you would not believe the abusive/withering response I got back. Again it's such a simple thing to get right.

The fact that I cannot do bracing - if I could, I'd build a Roden Gladiator tomorrow  :banghead:

When I get to a show and my 'pride-and-joy' emerges from its' travel box minus an undercarriage leg or aerial mast - I really hate that, mainly because it's my own fault  :banghead: :banghead:

Unsympathetic/unhelpful comments when somebody asks a qustion at a show - never encountered it from anybody on the What If stand, but I once heard a younger person asking an older one how he had acheived a particular finish, only to be told, "It's just something you need to learn...." - Great answer, guy, and guaranteed to turn somebody away from the hobby in a New York Minute  >:(

Decal silvering - especially on my models, no matter how glossy I get the paint, you can guarantee that somewhere one of those little b*gg*rs will have air trapped underneath it.... Arghhh  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:.

That's about it for now, don't want to appear like a total grouch.... but I think I just have  :blink:

Ian

"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Folks who use too many emoticons.......  ;D

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

philp

All good stuff but does anybody else look under diorama bridges  :blink:
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

Weaver

Quote from: Ian the Hunter-Gatherer on March 11, 2010, 08:15:02 AM
Overloading with too much and/or incorrect ordnance - there's a modeller who was VERY prominant over on ARC some years ago who consistantly did that - I politely pointed-out to him via PM that a US Navy A-1H would not carry the 5-tube bomblet dispenser that comes with the Tamiya kit as it's an Air Force weapon - you would not believe the abusive/withering response I got back. Again it's such a simple thing to get right.

Some enthusiasts compartmentalise to a degree that I simply don't understand. I have a freind who's an ex-military pilot, serious aircraft nut and modeller. He is intensely interested in anything to do with how aircraft x works and flies, however, he is absolutely and aggressively disinterested in anything to do with weapons or how aircraft x performed as a military device. So for instance, the Hunter is the pinnacle of virtue to him because it was nice to fly, but it's limited range, lack of radar, gun-firing problems and limited weapon load are utterly irrelevent, and he will accept no criticism of it based on those factors or enter into any discussion of them (not the best example to pick really, but it's a real one that sticks in my mind.... :rolleyes:). He probably wouldn't stick any stores on a model of one, but if he did put the wrong kind of rocket pod on it and you pointed it out to him, he'd look at you in much the same way that we'd regard someone complaining about an incorrect type of seat-harness buckle... go figure.... :huh::rolleyes:

- Indiana Jones

Ed S

So, Phil, did you have a problem with trolls in a previous life?

:smiley:

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

philp

Actually, I loved the story about the Billy Goats Gruff.

Now those Troll dolls  :blink:
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies