Warhammer 40K subjects you have found

Started by Jeffry Fontaine, February 11, 2008, 08:52:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pyro-manic

Yeah, the original Space Fleet came out in the very early 90s IIRC. Before my time to be honest. I do remember seeing the ships in the Citadel catalogue in GW stores, though. The Eldar ships are very similar to the current BFG ones, but the Imperial ships are all very different. They were a bit of a mess, to be honest - no theme as such, just a hodge-podge mix of weird designs. Some good, some not so good. I recently grabbed a pair of the old metal Gothic-class battleships off ebay for about £2. Pretty basic models, but they should paint up nicely when I finally get around to it.
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

thedarkmaster

i used to work for Games workshop in the late eighties and early nineties and remember all this stuff coming out. I used to have loads of stuff for all the games cause as staff we had a massive discount and got lead by weight prices.
Anyway kept all this until i got divorced when the Huntch**** of Chesterfield got rid of them all and my liberary of military books  :banghead: :banghead: >:( >:(.
Never been able to afford to replace them so now just left with an entire 16th centuary papal army, made from imperial troops...........oh well.

Everything looks better with the addition of British Roundels!

the Empires Twilight facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Empires-twilight/167640759919192

"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." - Carl Schurz

Sauragnmon

Alright, you boys wanted it, here we go... here's the shots I've taken recently of some of my work for the purposes of showing off to people who wanted to appreciate my 40k pieces.

First up, the Eldar Autarch I did for my Eldar Army I was building - Standard jetbike, Reaper launcher mounted under the nose, Shining Spears pike and arm, Guardian torso, Dire Avenger helmetless head.  Mandiblasters were made from spare pieces from a Battlefleet Gothic Chaos Cruiser's gun battery.  For comparison, pictures beside a standard jetbike and Shining Spear fig.

Speaking of Battlefleet Gothic, the one and only apperance in the collection of my BFG Chaos fleet - an Acheron class Heavy Cruiser, on the left.  Beside it, a custom-built Light Cruiser that I did for the store's BFG "Design your own ships" contest - came in third.

Continuing on the Chaos theme, here's a few of the miniatures I've done for two of my three Chaos armies - Black Legion, and Thousand Sons.  First, the Thousand Sons Dreadnought I built - took the plastic Marine dreadnought, bashed the hell out of it.  Parts were inspired by a few shots in White Dwarf, others were pure consideration.  The Autocannons I built from both the lascannon barrels and the Assault Cannon shoulder mount.  As standard with chaos, it had to have Spiky bits.

Next, the Black Legion Chaos Lord that I built.  Abbadon's body, new left hand, add bits, chopped the bolter off the top of the right hand - trust me, pure pewter, that took a WHILE!!!

Now to the Thousand Sons chaos lord I built - as before, chopped off the bolter from the right hand, Abbadon's body, new left hand, and Ahriman's head - ironically fit quite easily with a little finesse at my knife hand.  Lightning arcs created by mangling staples and super gluing into place.

This concludes the Chaos segment of our tour - They're the oldest part of my collection, in truth.  Next in line we have my Necrons, featuring two main factors - my custom-built Necron Lord, and a simple Warrior.  The lord's arms are courtesy of the Destroyer Lord - bits orders can be so handy (why can't model companies let you order individual sprues?) and the body of an Immortal.  Again, knife-work came to help in removing the power cables from the original Immortal weapon.

There's the short clip.  Final piece, my Tau - second youngest army in my collection, with Eldar actually being youngest, I've done my own custom pieces.  First, a Human Auxilliary for the Tau army - inspired by the GW site for his pulse rifle design, the rest was done by me.  Yes, for those who wonder, that is ALPENFLAGE on his clothing, Swiss Issue Alpenflage, I actually stood there in the GW store, comparing the paints to my pants that I was wearing at the time, to get the colours matched up.  Then I figured out the paint layers, and worked accordingly.

The other entry for submission of my Tau collection is the Heavy Gun Drone that I built.  I know some of you might have seen the Forgeworld ones, and I liked them, but I thought it was just too expensive.  So what did I do?  I took the pulse cannons off my Battlesuits that I had kicking around (I wanted heavier hitting weapons on the suits anyways) and bashed them onto a standard issue Gun Drone model.

And this, ladies and gentlemen, concludes the tour through my Warhammer 40K collection.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

nev

Why has he got a monkey wrench on his head? ;)
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

retro_seventies

"Computer games don't affect kids. I mean, if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." Kristin Wilson, Nintendo Inc, 1989.

Sauragnmon

Yeah, I know from that angle it does look weird, but the thing is, it also frames the side of his head, where the mandiblasters are sitting.  It's the whole plume for the Dire Avenger deal.  I gave him something Dire Avengers, or I did something to that effect, I can't remember right now, but basically I wanted to give him a nod to each Aspect he had something of, or each Aspect I planned to have in the army.  I can't quite remember it right now, and I'm not looking it up Nev.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

Weaver

Tch - kids.......  :wacko:

See this? This is a Games Workshop Space Ork, made as a one-off joke before W40K existed. It was the reaction to this kind of thing that encouraged them to come up with W40K.....

More pre-historic GW Sci-Fi stuff:

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

retro_seventies

Good on you Weaver - i have #2 and #3 of those stashed away somewhre.  At one time i had a few of those skeletons, with the wrench removd and othe weapons substituted!
"Computer games don't affect kids. I mean, if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." Kristin Wilson, Nintendo Inc, 1989.

Sisko

Merry christmas to all!

Saw this while skulking around on the net (first time in two weeks!).

Pretty funny http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Warhammer_40k_Minor_Forces

Adois
Get this Cheese to sick bay!

ChernayaAkula

Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Jeffry Fontaine

Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

NARSES2

Seems that the current fashion in armour modelling is "red (Pink for Rad) primer". It's getting everywhere, even on the tracks ?

Great model though
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

pyro-manic

Games Workshop are about to release the new Ork Stompa (a large walking war machine):

Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Mossie

I like that Stompa, although I'm not hugely fond of GW's Ork's either Warhammer or 40K.  They always seem like the comic relief, whereas I always thought their technical ingenuity & sheer brutality should count for something more tangible.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Jeffry Fontaine

6 Wheel Drive Transport Vehicle which appears to have started life as an Italeri 1/35th scale Oshkosh HEMTT 8 X 8. 
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg