Warhammer 40K subjects you have found

Started by Jeffry Fontaine, February 11, 2008, 08:52:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sauragnmon

The interesting thing about GW prices, is that this year, for a change, they didn't jack up the prices of existing product, excepting paint and brushes.  I doubt this is a sign that somebody with more than a few brain cells to rub together is in office, but it's something.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

Father Ennis

You know guys, I'm surprised at your comments. You sound like the guys I know over here in the US. complaining about the cost and quality of GW products.  If these are that expensive there I don't want to know what it would cost here. I'd hate to see them go out of business but the way they treat their customers and the way they are always raising prices on the stuff you need,I don't see any other route for them. Just makes me glad Warhammer isn't one of my rat holes to drop money down.

Steel Penguin

Father Ennis,  part of the reason for my complaints is that I really like some of the GW stuff,  for fantasy battle  between my wife and my self we've got woodelves, high elves ( twice) Bretons,  and a mish mash chaos army, for 40K its easyer to say that we don't play Chaos and Orks, Just to stay current with the new codexes for 40K would probably cost around £240 ( at current prices)  and theres no guarantee that they will actually finish producing them before the next gen  rule book is released in  N years time ( another annoyance).
   The good figures and vehicles are good, some are spectacular, ( the high elf dragon in flight from the stone pillar for example)  but some of the recent releases don't reach that level, and seem to be way over priced ( for example the re-released Eldar Dire Avengers have just doubled in price, to around £4 each for a28 -30mm  man sized plastic multipart mini,  compare that mentally with how much you pay for a 1:35 scale plastic multi part mini) 
My comment on the aerofoil wings is my real peeve,  it would take little effort to actually  add them from the start, at least with the Eldar they have put a rounded leading edge on the wing, on the Imperial flyers its square, I look at them and shudder.
And my comment on previous topics non withstanding  on a 6` by 4` board fast air support is rather out of place  transport helo and gunship equivalents are just a bought doable, but multi Mach fighters make little sense.  On much bigger boards yep I get it, but most games are that sized ( or smaller  a lot of the new gen of table top 28mm games are happy on 4` square)
  But enough moaning, 
Bring on the neat stuff gents. 
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

Father Ennis

I base my comments on the opinions of guys on some other forums I'm on. I've yet to see many kind words about GW from any of them. They all voice the same complaints as you. I don't think their stuff is available in the area where I live. It never was readly available here back in the day.  I'll stick to playing Battletech or D&D.

Aircav

I know of one place that was selling GW stuff and was then told by them that they were selling to much of it so they just stopped selling it all together.
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

Steel Penguin

I will add that I have Never had anything from GW stores, or from the mail order if anything was in need of replacement,  the manager at my local store, is a true gent, and I would not mind giving him cash at all..
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 

Sauragnmon

I'm personally hoping that a legal case I heard of recently gets some real heavy duty traction with regards to putting GW in their place regarding their outright predatory market practices.

Apparently, an Australian sales company is taking GW to court for unfair business practices over their latest trend of releasing Direct Only items, essentially Forcing customers to deal directly with GW, instead of the source of their choice.  Apparently it's a law on the books in Australia, protecting sellers from that kind of practice.  I'm hoping that legal case gets traction and force behind it.

Another one that's in the courts and that GW seems to be slowly losing, is their little war with Chapterhouse Studios over their cast shoulder pads - apparently they've had problems with the US Copyright Office trying to acquire the actual copyrights they are attempting to use to put Chapterhouse out of business.

And then there's the lovely little story where GW went to Amazon and tried to have every book with the term Space Marine pulled off the shelves, regardless of the fact that many books in question actually Predated GW's existence.  That didn't hold water for long.

Don't even get me started on their war on people who were using two things they didn't like - Exchange Rates and Bits Sellers.  Their little Trade Embargo on NA buyers going to British sellers for competitive prices, or their outright declaration of war against the Bits market with their latest trade regulations on sellers who were breaking up kits for parts and selling them individually, or attacking online retailers by forcing them to shut down if they didn't have a brick and mortar building.

Man, GW's practices are seriously going to cost them eventually.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

philp

Uh, guys.

So I see that you aren't happy with the high priced items GW sells or with some (many?) of their business practices.  OK, I get that, don't normally buy them because of price either.

However, this is a thread to showcase with people have done with their kits, especially whiff wise. 

So can we please move the politics to another place and let those of us interested, just look at the eye candy?

Thanks.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

NARSES2

With my moderators cap on I'm in full agreement with Phil here. Whilst understanding your gripes lads this isn't perhaps the best place for them and besides I think you all agree anyway and you have just about covered it all now.

So back to normal service regards the thread ? There's always the PM system if you want to discuss any farther issues with fellow Wiffers.

Thanks lads

Chris
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Jay-Jay

pyro-manic

One day I'll have to dig out (and finish) my BFG fleet...
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

philp

Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

Steel Penguin

the paint style and carry through are both brill.  the actual model im not certain if I should love it, or sneer at it.  visually it is 40k styling with a good tweak ( could do with mor skulls!) but the "real" world part of me is screaming "the turrets so top heavy ittl topple in a light breeze" 
I think as part of a similar visually themed army it would really really work though.
so after some thought  :thumbsup:

pyro-manic

It's like an SD 'Russ more than anything (or "Eggplane" style for those not familiar with SuperDeformed), though that may be partly to do with the camera angle. I like it though..!
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Mossie

I like that one.  Squat's have disappeared from the 40K, they were a fairly heavy part of Imperial forces in the Rogue Trader days when I was buying White Dwarf regularly.  The SD look fits in well with the shape of the little guy.

I also like the Dominus that Phil posted earlier.  Looking at the link, I like the way it's modular so different turret and sponson fits can be addded.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.