He-162 Salamander

Started by kitbasher, March 11, 2010, 12:30:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitbasher

Excellent article in this month's 'Aeroplane Monthly' about a restoration of a French-held He162 - some top tips about colour schemes if anyone wants to whif a Luft '46 Salamander.   ;D ;D
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Daryl J.

Tamiya's He-162 came home one day with the intent to replace the guns with cameras, convert it to metal construction, and send it to Vietnam or Desert Storm.    :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:        

[Edit-Oct 30, 2010]   Dragon's V-tailed kit arrived too.   Yeah!    

dy031101

Would the He 162B series, when updated with even the technology of the '50s, be a half-decent tactical support aircraft?
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

jynx

I've still got an old TriMaster kit.  Thought about something different with it also :cheers:

Doc Yo

Quote from: dy031101 on September 01, 2010, 06:19:30 PM
Would the He 162B series, when updated with even the technology of the '50s, be a half-decent tactical support aircraft?

hrm. Half-decent, maybe. It wasn't an easy plane to fly, by all reports, and I don't recall that it carried a
surfeit of armor. Still, the engine is masked from most ground fire, ( by the pilot ) and with some metal
wings and a couple of hard points, it might have been able to carry a modest load.

dy031101

Quote from: Doc Yo on September 02, 2010, 08:07:21 AM
Still, the engine is masked from most ground fire, ( by the pilot ) and with some metal
wings and a couple of hard points, it might have been able to carry a modest load.

I know cockpit armours and a more modern engine would be in order.  ;D

====================

To-do list here

Arc3371

tanktastic43

Or even three engined.......

tt43.

ChernayaAkula

Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

dy031101

Well the He 162 looks to me about the size of a G.91R, so......

Quote from: Arc3371 on September 02, 2010, 08:25:18 AM
How about twin engined?

I was going to say that it'd be better to allow for modular replacement of engine(s), but then a 1950 reincarnation would probably have had an engine change to begin with.  ;D

====================

To-do list here

dumaniac

I like the He162 with twin jets - would be a great conversion in 48 scale.  What to do with the wings?, a fella could use the 262 wings and jets.  Or perhaps pick something with straight wings from something immediately post war.

mmmmmm - food for thought

cheers

Berne

frank2056

I wonder what kind of non-German engines would fit on a post war He-162? looking at early post war engines, the J47 would be a good start -derated, you don't want to shear off the new metal wings on takeoff - but it still weighs a lot more than the Jumo 004 (1200Kg vs 720kg). A SNECMA Atar 101 would be a great fit, since it was based on the BMW 003 (also planned for the He-162) or a Metro-Vic F.2. The last two wouldn't require a major redesign of the engine shell, either.

rickshaw

Not likely.  It was usually described as quite a handful to fly apparently.  The location of the engine left a great deal to be desired aerodynamically.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

The Wooksta!

No.  It was designed as a cheap, lightweight disposable aircraft, as a fighter and nowt else.

And why bother converting the wood to metal?  All the design effort and construction of new jigs could be put towards building something new.  Which you'd have to, because the weight increase means you use more fuel and then to offset that, more fuel, more weight.  It's cheaper to design a new aircraft.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

dy031101

Guess I have better luck thinking of a Hs-132 with conventional cockpit then......  :banghead:

====================

To-do list here