Boulton Paul Defiant

Started by apophenia, March 11, 2010, 01:46:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hobbes

I wonder what it would look like with a Dalek turret instead of the guns. Or an astromech droid (R2D2)  :cheers:

GTX

Quote from: Hobbes on March 25, 2010, 11:15:25 AM
I wonder what it would look like with a Dalek turret instead of the guns. Or an astromech droid (R2D2)  :cheers:

Out you!!!! ;D

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

GTX

Quote from: apophenia on March 25, 2010, 09:35:46 AM
Spot on Saura. Yes, the cockpit is now where the turret was. The former cockpit area is now one huge fuel tank (oil tanks moved to the inboard wing leading edges).

The scenario was: what if the R-R Peregrine was killed earlier and the Whirlwind along with it. Defiant production lines could be adapted for a long-range fighter using largely unmodified parts. (The same layout might be adaptable as a PR bird).

Of course, the pilot's view on landing and take-off would challenging to put it mildly. In the air, though, the view from the cockpit is improved by use of a Whirlwind canopy (Aeroclub set C078 also makes modelling easier  ;D ).

I like it!

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

kitbasher

What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Mossie

I like those. :thumbsup:

A pet whiff of mine is what if the Spitfire hadn't continued in production (it came close to being canned on a few occasions due to production concerns)?  What would have replaced it?  The Defiant is one of those that is a good possibility, a version with fixed armament flew & was a good performer.  So how would it have been developed?  Those profiles show how it might have been.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

sideshowbob9

Damn! Who knew Defiants could polish up so nice?  :wub:

sequoiaranger

>If I'm looking at it right, I see a nicely sized belly radiator on that thing... it almost begs for a jet conversion similar to the Yaks... hmmmm... evil thoughts abound...<

>Jet Defiant! I bet no-one's come up with that one before <

I would envision not a single-jet like the Yak 15/17/19 (too large an airframe--the Yaks were diminutive aircraft), but either a through-the-wing jet arrangement like the Gloster Meteors, or doubled-under like the the Bell P-59 Airacomet. In fact, carrying the Defiant concept of a "broadside-firing" bomber destroyer into the nascent jet age, one could have fixed fuselage guns (where the turret would have been) pointed out at a 30-degree angle to the front and side "Schrage Musik"-style (or "Spooky-gunship-style") to rake enemy aircraft while flying through a formation at the same altitude.  A very slight, nose-up banking movement would keep the guns on target a little while longer.

It CAN'T be any more an idiotic idea than the Defiant itself!!  :blink:
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

Caveman

Quote from: sideshowbob9 on May 06, 2010, 07:25:35 AM
Damn! Who knew Defiants could polish up so nice?  :wub:

Well this project based loosely on a defiant (from secretprojects) looks pretty good to me. Very nice lines on it.

secretprojects forum migrant

sideshowbob9

^ Oh, I agree, there are a lot of Boulton Paul aircraft and projects that were lookers. The original Mamba Balliol comes to mind.

Maverick

Brilliant stuff Apophenia.

Very good looking & plausible profiles & backstory.

Regards,

Mav

NARSES2

I like those composites  :thumbsup:

Always fancied doing a single seat Defiant fighter myself
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

sideshowbob9

Those Blenheim missiles look great!  :thumbsup:

kitnut617

Well this one should go of with a good bang then ----
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

redstar72

Good work!
But I think it's necessary to make new, beefed up and more strong undercarriage for the Hotspur - as it has to takeoff now carrying the Defiant on its back!
Best regards,
Soviet Aviation enthusiast