Republic American P-49 Mustang

Started by John Howling Mouse, March 13, 2010, 05:22:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian the Kiwi Herder

There have been occassions when I've chided others here for using 'foul language' when it simply isn't required.... but (rhymes with) TRUCK - Me !! that looks incredible, and like our friend BdaB says, it simply screams speed.

Gotta be a post-war pylon racer with a very high gloss finish, and acres of sponsors stickers on the cowl - a NASCAR kit would make an excellent donor for those.

Ian
*still shaking head*
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

noxioux

All sanded up and primered--that baby has some nice lines. :wub:

John Howling Mouse

I love this part that warns me before posting on this old thread:

"Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic."

Even the hosting software gets the chance to remind me how lazy I've been!

Finally got the primer looking good enough to continue.  After masking with Tamiya snazzee-tape and some poster-spaghetti, here is the base tan.  Wow, did
I ever pile it on too heavy.  But I like it.

Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

sotoolslinger

First, bout effin time ;D
Second , coooooool :mellow: :wub: :thumbsup: :bow:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

Pablo1965

I think the plane have clear lines an aerodinamically pure. I think we have similar viibrations about the P-40. But I hate his  wing profile, It is a problem of mine, It's too old to his time. In any way your model is one of the most interesting change of this plane. :thumbsup: :bow: :cheers:

BlackOps

This is like an early Christmas present seeing JHM back at the bench  :thumbsup:
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

Eddie M.

Quote from: BlackOps on October 16, 2010, 04:27:12 PM
This is like an early Christmas present seeing JHM back at the bench  :thumbsup:

Ditto +1
Look behind you!

John Howling Mouse

Thanks, guys.  I have the Tamiya tape & poster-hanging spaghetti on now for some tight-yet somewhat soft demarcation lines.  Meine craft iz covered in eelz:

First coat of green.  It turned out a bit too light even though I was going for a faded look.

So I re-mixed my colors and did it a little darker and more olive.  It's a bit confusing as these pics were taken in completely different light.  Trust me, I'm a modeler.

John Howling Mouse

Off come the eels.  The tan and green combo is alright but it will be heavily weathered yet so this is almost a blank canvas at this point.

Then, a whole bunch of streaks in darker greens and tans with gloss-coat (Future) for decals.  Looks a bit cartoonish at this stage but it will be more blended later as I weather in some pastels following a flat coat.

Edit: Huh, now that I've uploaded these, the "green" looks positively BROWN onscreen.  I know every monitor is different but this is weird.  I might have to try
this on purpose next time: tan and brown scheme...hmmm...

sotoolslinger

I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

BlackOps

We demand a natural light source!  ;D  Lookin' good, can't wait to see the next step, I'm kind of surprised you remember how to do this stuff  :wacko:
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

Pablo1965

I don't want to be realistic, I assume the engine, would be a Merlin and the radiator is too small but it doesn't matter because  the model is great.
Its lines are clean and compact, and its dimensions are better than the original. I always think the wing extemes of a P-40 could be cut like the Hamp.
Gorgeous plane :thumbsup: :cheers:

ChernayaAkula

Lookin' good so far! :thumbsup:

Quote from: John Howling Mouse on October 16, 2010, 01:19:03 PM
"Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic."

Even the hosting software gets the chance to remind me how lazy I've been!

Quote from: John Howling Mouse on October 23, 2010, 12:49:53 PM

Actually, I think this looks like a pretty cool camo. Sand and tan, separated by light blue meanders. I guess the planet where this could be an effective camo would still need to be invented, but it'd be a heck of a cool-lookin' scheme.  :wacko:
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

ysi_maniac

Waiting for the, presumably, perfect result. :wub: :wub: :thumbsup: :blink: :bow:
Will die without understanding this world.

John Howling Mouse

Decals done.  Mixed results: their roundels are clearly too light a blue (but this is perfect for a Whif), some gaps resulted here and there, but I like the overall effect.

After I put the eyebrows on and filled all decal gaps: