Hellenic Air Force F-15E: a FAR Model

Started by FAR148, March 13, 2010, 10:57:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pyro-manic

Never heard of an AGM-148 - what is it? It looks quite scary.
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

GTX

Looks like a AGM-130 to me:

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

FAR148

QuoteNever heard of an AGM-148 - what is it? It looks quite scary.

QuoteLooks like a AGM-130 to me

It only exist in my head and the idea is based on the AGM-130. I will post how to make one soon. :thumbsup:

Steven L  :ph34r:

GTX

Quote from: FAR148 on March 20, 2010, 03:51:12 PM
QuoteNever heard of an AGM-148 - what is it? It looks quite scary.

QuoteLooks like a AGM-130 to me

It only exist in my head and the idea is based on the AGM-130. I will post how to make one soon. :thumbsup:

Thought that have been the case.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

FAR148

So, here's how to make a AGM-148. First you will need parts from Hasagawa Aircraft weapon set B and D.In the background you can see I got the forward fusaelage join to the rest of the body.

From weapon set B, you need... GBU-8 halves and fins and Pave Spike pod halves.

From weapon set D, you need... 4 GBU-24 fins and two halves of the Skipper rocket nozzle.

First let's start with the Pave Spike pod. It's the right size and shape to become the rocket body for the AGM-148. Glue it together and cut the front off just in front of the mount point. You don't need the head of the pod but keep it for something else.

Now on to the body of the AGM-148, cut free the two halves of the GBU-8 and glued  them together. Once your glue has set up, time for some fin trimming. We got to remove some of the main body fin so that the new GBU-24 fins to fit. I first cut the rear angle cut with my razor saw stopping at the break line in the body. Them with a new no# 11 blade, I removed the rest. Once all 4 were removed, I sanded it smooth.

Either when your glue is setting up or after, you can glue up the rocket nozzle and cut it to length. I super glued the two halves together and with my razor saw I cut the nozzle at the break line as the body starts to taper.

Back to the AGM-148 body, I scribed two new panel lines on the head of the body using some tap and the back side of a no#11 blade. I then added the new fins, lining up the little control bump on the fin inbetween the the new panel lines. Next I filed a flat spot in the two body bands so that the rocket will sit flat on the body of the AGM-148.

Next I glued the rocket nozzle to the body of the rocket(pave spike pod) and sanded the joint.I then added two pieces of strip styrene for detail.

TA-DA! one AGM-148. Got to fix those bands. :angry:

More to come!

Mossie

Quote from: Ian the Hunter-Gatherer on March 20, 2010, 02:17:32 PM
There's been some talk around here over the last couple of years about adding a 'Popcorn' emoticon....... IMO This build is all the justification we need for it.

Ian

(pulling-up the comfy chair, opening the beer and looking for the popcorn !)

Mossie, pulling up another chair, cracks open another beer & nicks a handful of Ian's popcorn when he isn't looking. ;D
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

ChernayaAkula

AGM-130 design + GBU-8 body + GBU-24 fins = AGM-162! You're fourteen short!  ;D

Very nice tutorial.  :thumbsup: The whiffing world needs more whiffed weapons!  :party:
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

FAR148

Thanks everybody!  :thumbsup:

QuoteAGM-130 design + GBU-8 body + GBU-24 fins = AGM-162! You're fourteen short!

LOL! I was always bad at math. ;D

Here's a small update. Sunday, I managed to get her intakes on. One fits better then the other but I can live with it. The CFT's went on much better than I thought they would, as did the weapon stations.

I got to rescribe a few panel lines but she is coming along nicely. Hopefully by the end of the week, I will have her panel lines preshaded so I can start painting her this weekend.

Until later,

John Howling Mouse

Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

ChernayaAkula

Quote from: FAR148 on March 22, 2010, 08:20:34 PM
<...> LOL! I was always bad at math. ;D <...>

;D Me too. You can see I had to edit my post. That's because I typed AGM-152 first.
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

FAR148

Tonight I have been playing around with illustrator and photoshop working on my decals. My Greek Mud Hen is going by from 330 Mira "Thunderbolt" based out of Néa Anghialos air base. Once I finished drawing it all up, I print it on a piece of transparency film to check the fit. Not the final decal, want to chance it a little bit. Looks pretty good. :wub:

Until Later,

nev

Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

FAR148

Preshading Done!

Until later,

Ian the Kiwi Herder

See, told you it would be worth watching  :bow:

Ian
(Snuggles into comfy chair, pops another beer and cuffs Mossie around the head for stealing the popcorn)
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

FAR148

Paint has started!  :wub:

More to come!
Steven L  :ph34r: