Guess what my new project is??

Started by chrisonord, March 14, 2010, 07:47:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisonord

Here is something a bit different to what I usually build, but I just had to as it is so unusual. That is all the details I am going to give you for now, other than that it is 1/72nd scale.

Cheers,
Chris.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Spey_Phantom

interesting, it looks like the rear fuselage is from a 1/144 revell C-17, the front fuselage i dont know, but i guess its from a 1/72 707/kc135.

my guess, its some sort of mini A-400M, am i right  :huh:

looks like your up to something good, and i like it  :thumbsup: :wub:
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

PR19_Kit

That looks like an Antonov An-72/74 to me.

The spike on the top of the fin, and the odd rear door arrangement are pretty distinctive. When they open the lower door in the air it slides under the fuselage and forward, REALLY weird.

Of course that's only the start point, who knows what it will be when you've finished.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

chrisonord

The cigar goes to kit  ;D
It is indeed an Antonov AN-72P, this is the armed patrol version that is fitted with the 23 mm cannon and either free fall bombs or rocket pods.
It has taken a lot of work to get the fuselage looking something similar, as it would not fit together properly. It needed 8 elastic bands, 4 clamps and a lot of tape just to hold it together, as the cockpit and rear cabin would not let it go together regardless.I had to squeeze the thing together and use plastic weld to glue it a bit at a time. Not only that, but the fuselage was stepped in several places,and misaligned. Which was nice  :blink:
The wings are built and needed filling, and the engines are together, which look like they are going to need some persuading to fit also :banghead:
The only real whiff part of it will be the insignia, as it will belong to my cartel air force. I may give it some ASM's instead of the rockets or bombs though.
Cheers.
Chris.

PR19_Kit

There's an ARMED version? Strewth..........

Can't wait to see the finished article then. A buddy of mine has that kit too (A Model?) and he was equally complimentary about the fit of the parts. I think his comments were on the line that the left-hand side was designed by a different company to the right-hand side!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

chrisonord

Hya Kit,
This is the TOKO version, and there is also an Eastern express kit of it too. I am just putting the engine pods onto the wings, I say putting as fitting would not be a fitting word  :rolleyes:There is a choice of where you want there to be a big gap though which is nice of them :thumbsup:and the opening rear ramp/door set up will have to stay displayed open as they don't shut properly. The engines have service hatches that can be fixed open or shut, so I will see how they fit also.
Chris.

kitnut617

I've got this kit in the stash too Chris, it's not too bad but the detailed cargo area will be a bitch to fit.  I got a Russian armoured car to go in there but that might go out the window, as it doesn't fit to good.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

chrisonord

Quote from: kitnut617 on March 14, 2010, 03:09:14 PM
I've got this kit in the stash too Chris, it's not too bad but the detailed cargo area will be a bitch to fit.  I got a Russian armoured car to go in there but that might go out the window, as it doesn't fit to good.
Hya Robert,
There is no way an armoured car would fit in there thats for sure, I don't think an UAZ would fit either unless you take the roof off and put the screen down :lol: I left the seating out of this also as I have other plans for the frame work for them  :wacko:
Good luck!! :lol:
Chris.

Weaver

Yes, I've got this one in the stash too, with a gunship conversion in mind.

Watching with interest and trepidation.....
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

GTX

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Weaver

The armed version's for maritime patrol/border guard duty. One reason for the ability to slide the ramp forwards under the fuselage in flight is so they can drop bombs from a rack on the fuselage ceiling above it, something which apparently has been done for real by An-12s and An-26s in various brushfire wars.... :blink:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Weaver on March 15, 2010, 01:44:33 AM
.....One reason for the ability to slide the ramp forwards under the fuselage in flight is so they can drop bombs from a rack on the fuselage ceiling above it.....

That sounds like a recipe for much elevator trim twirling! I hope the bombs aren't too heavy or the aircraft would be way out of trim!

Regards
Kit

Weaver

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 15, 2010, 02:02:20 AM
.....One reason for the ability to slide the ramp forwards under the fuselage in flight is so they can drop bombs from a rack on the fuselage ceiling above it.....

That sounds like a recipe for much elevator trim twirling! I hope the bombs aren't too heavy or the aircraft would be way out of trim!

Nah - pretty small IIRC. I think the bomb carrier might mount on the overhead crane tracks, so it can be run backwards until it's over the ramp-hole. Don't hold me to that through....

- Indiana Jones

GTX

Here you go - armament for the AN-72P:

regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

nev

The armed version's for maritime patrol/border guard duty. One reason for the ability to slide the ramp forwards under the fuselage in flight is so they can drop bombs from a rack on the fuselage ceiling above it, something which apparently has been done for real by An-12s and An-26s in various brushfire wars.... :blink:

Didn't the Indians just roll them off the ramp? :o
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May