Flying/space battleships

Started by Weaver, March 19, 2010, 05:37:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Radish

Nice one!!

Drinking straws make nice exhausts and can be bought in a variety of sizes...they can create multiple exhausts grouped together too.

Bottle tops...any sort of top really, is useful.

And plastic drink bottles are useful for airships.
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

ysi_maniac

Some ideas for an Aerial Battlecruiser or Carrier, in earth gravity and atmosphere

- Taking Spruce Goose and Junkers G.34 as models: 178 and 125 hp/ton respectively

- Pre WWII would look pretty sinister IMO

- 200 m long approx

- 5000 ton weight (this can be discussed)

- 500000 hp ----> 200 engines 2500 hp each (diesel, if you ask me)

- tandem wings, at least 3

What do you think? :cheers:
Will die without understanding this world.

Radish

pyro-manic

Most people seem to be familiar with Space Battleship Yamato (or Starblazers as the Western dubbed version was called), but the creator, Leiji Matsumoto, also created several other series and films, including Space Pirate Captain Harlock, and his ship the Arcadia. There are a couple of different versions, but here are some images:

It's a bit more spaceship-like than SB Yamato, but it's still very much based on C20th battleships, with big gun turrets, towering superstructure, etc.
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Radish

Outstanding.....thinking submarine hulls could be useful -_-

Weaver

The bottom one's submarine-like, the top one looks almost like an upside-down ship hull (look at the head-on view), which is an interesting idea......
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

proditor

My favorite bit on the Harlock ships is always the sailing ship poop deck.  Just too wacky.  :drink:

ChernayaAkula

Looking at Revell's  small Vader's TIE Advanced, I thought the solar panels might work as solar sails for a space battleship.  Another means of propulsion - sailing on the solar winds!
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Radish

That sounds a good idea, especially as they're easily made by stretching white glue-soaked tights/stockings over thin plastic card, then cut to shape :party:

NARSES2

Quote from: Radish on April 17, 2010, 12:24:32 PM
That sounds a good idea, especially as they're easily made by stretching white glue-soaked tights/stockings over thin plastic card, then cut to shape :party:

Only you could think of that  :banghead: ;D ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Radish

No....no.....many "more mature" modellers will recognise this as a way of making grills inside radiators et all, before the advent of etched brass.

philp

I hate being called "More Mature" but Terry is right.  Back in the stone ages, some did use this technique to great effect.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

NARSES2

I appreciate that it's just that Rad uses his own tights  :banghead:  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Weaver

Check out some of the Combrig pre-WWI cruisers and ironclads halfway down this page:

http://www.modelingmadness.com/industrynews/scalemodelkits/scalemodelkits.html

Possibilities, possibilities.........
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Fulcrum

What about other flying warships?

Maybe a Flying Torpedo Boat(F.T.B.) with Whitehead Torpedoes/Missiles in service with small flying warship navies as a defense against Flying Battleships?

of course, in order to defend the flying battleships from attack, the logical thing would be to develop flying (torpedo boat) destroyers :o.
Fulcrums Forever!!!
Master Assembler