Flying/space battleships

Started by Weaver, March 19, 2010, 05:37:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

Quote from: Fulcrum on April 24, 2010, 11:56:13 PM
What about other flying warships?

Maybe a Flying Torpedo Boat(F.T.B.) with Whitehead Torpedoes/Missiles in service with small flying warship navies as a defense against Flying Battleships?

of course, in order to defend the flying battleships from attack, the logical thing would be to develop flying (torpedo boat) destroyers :o.

Nice one, and here's the aerial torpedo for it!  ;D

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

proditor

Quote from: Weaver on April 25, 2010, 02:01:45 AM
Quote from: Fulcrum on April 24, 2010, 11:56:13 PM
What about other flying warships?

Maybe a Flying Torpedo Boat(F.T.B.) with Whitehead Torpedoes/Missiles in service with small flying warship navies as a defense against Flying Battleships?

of course, in order to defend the flying battleships from attack, the logical thing would be to develop flying (torpedo boat) destroyers :o.

Nice one, and here's the aerial torpedo for it!  ;D

SUH-WEET!!!
   :wub: :wub:

Weaver

Extending the franchise a bit further, what about flying submarines? I don't mean submersible seaplanes in the Seaview/Skydiver/Skycaptain mould, but actual U-boats with wings/props etc... The more "boaty" the sub the better IMHO, so traditional "boat-hulled" U-boats would be preferable to modern "airship" shapes, which pretty much look like spaceships or airships anyway. It could have an aircraft-style cockpit on top of the conning tower, and aircraft-style turrets instead of deck guns etc....
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

NARSES2

A more "aircrafty" version of this ? There's a made up one with sharks mouth on some of the show pics pages  ;D

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Weaver

Outstandingly barmpot though that thing is, that's what I'd call a "submersible aeroplane" whereas what I was thinking of was more of a "flying submarine", i.e. like a flying battleship but based on a submarine hull.

Just had an entertaining vision of a vertical-airscrew-equipped submarine hiding under a cloud while a winged Flying Frigate tears about above the cloud, trying to hit the sub with parachute mines, aka "height charges".... ;D

Nurse? NURSE!!!!!

- Indiana Jones

NARSES2

Right I'm on the same wavelength now ... send the nurse round when you've finished  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Radish

Some great ideas chaps, and I like the look of those Combrig ships :party: :party: :party:

Meanwhile, here's me receiving care in the community last Saturday.....
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

dragon

Quote from: Weaver on April 27, 2010, 01:53:09 AM
Extending the franchise a bit further, what about flying submarines? I don't mean submersible seaplanes in the Seaview/Skydiver/Skycaptain mould, but actual U-boats with wings/props etc... The more "boaty" the sub the better IMHO, so traditional "boat-hulled" U-boats would be preferable to modern "airship" shapes, which pretty much look like spaceships or airships anyway. It could have an aircraft-style cockpit on top of the conning tower, and aircraft-style turrets instead of deck guns etc....
The only ones I can remember are:

Mighty Jack

and

The BeBop from Cowboy Bebop
:cheers:
"As long as people are going to call you a lunatic anyway, why not get the benefits of it?  It liberates you from convention."- from the novel WICKED by Gregory Maguire.

"I must really be crazy to be in a looney bin like this" - Jack Nicholson in the movie ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST

Weaver

Oi Radish!

These any use to you?

;D

They're protective sleeves used on close-tolerance bolts at work. Fitters tend to pull them off the bolts immediately and throw them back in the bins, so we're always throwing handfuls of them away. I'm mainly thinking of fishnet funnels, but you could also cut them up and stick them on other shapes. Even if you think they're too chunky, you could still use them as paint masks. They come in a range of lengths, widths and colours: black, orange, pink and blue at least. The only thing is, the supply is completely unpredictable: it's just a matter of what we find on any given day.

If you're interested, let me know and I'll send you a bag.

- Indiana Jones

Radish

Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

arkon

i dont think the one in cowboy bebop is submersible, more of a amphibian starship
the plastic gods demand sacrifice

seadude

Has anyone else seen this thread/website? There's some great concepts here.  :thumbsup: All CGI, but given time and proper resources, they could be made into some impressive models. ;)
http://forums.spacebattles.com/showthread.php?t=163483
Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.

proditor

Don't know if this was posted earlier, but this HAS to be the best side by side of the original and Sapce Battleship Yamato I've seen.  It eventually turns into the instructions for building the paper model of the latter, but I think he top half of this page is invaluable.

http://www.geocities.jp/papercraft_etsutan/S-YAMATO.html

arkon

dude wish i knew japonese , cause that PAPER model is rightious
the plastic gods demand sacrifice

ChernayaAkula

While looking for the Nautilus concept art (CLICKY!) on conceptships.blogspot.com, I came across this pic. Awesome!  :bow:

Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?