L

EE Lightning

Started by lancer, May 21, 2003, 08:00:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aircav

Has anyone seen this set up before?, first time for me.  :-\ :rolleyes: ;D

"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

Steel Penguin

over wing tanks  and is that a bull pup on the body pylon?
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

Captain Canada

First for me too ! Nice find. The tanks have some funky fins as well. I wonder if she could still use the front pylons ? Would certainly add to your options !

:cheers:

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

The Wooksta!

Looks like one of the F53 development aircraft.  Belly tank is a lot larger

I've a feeling the missile pack is replaced with two 30mm ADENs - the black panel above the nosegear bay gives it away and there's no belly guns.  Someone on Britmodeller mentioned that the space for the cannons on the F1/F1A/F2/F2A was used by electronics for the Red Tops.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Aircav

Quote from: Steel Penguin on January 26, 2014, 08:06:31 AM
over wing tanks  and is that a bull pup on the body pylon?

Bullpup it is.  :thumbsup:

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

PR19_Kit

Those fins on the overwing tanks are decidedly odd, I've never seen that before in any pics.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

GeorgeC

Quote from: Aircav on January 26, 2014, 07:36:40 AM

I have never seen the like of that before, what a find!  Where is it from?

kitnut617

Reading about Lightnings in Battle Flight the other night, the types of missiles carried dictated where they were mounted on the aircraft because of their weight.  The Bullpup couldn't be carried on the standard Firestreak/Red Top pylon for that reason.  The belly tank is of interest though ---- it is much bigger than even the standard large tank.

Page 91 in Battle Flight shows a photo of how the Firestreak/Red Top pallets looked, they slipped into the slot where 2" RP's were usually carried.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Aircav

Quote from: GeorgeC on January 26, 2014, 10:12:47 AM
Has anyone seen this set up before?, first time for me.  :-\ :rolleyes: ;D

I have never seen the like of that before, what a find!  Where is it from?

Found it on Aviation Forum, post 206
http://forum.keypublishing.com/showthread.php?85288-Impressive-Weapons-Load-2-(again)

Sir Sydney Camm

Captain Canada

They had a nice Harrier pic on the first page, and it sure looks to me to be carrying a centrline fuel tank

:thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Gondor

The fins of the overwing tanks, the extended tank and the Bullpup missiles were all part of the development process to improve the Lightning. The tank was an alternative design to the tank that was used on the F2A, F6 and the export aircraft.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

rickshaw

Quote from: Gondor on January 26, 2014, 02:00:35 PM
The fins of the overwing tanks, the extended tank and the Bullpup missiles were all part of the development process to improve the Lightning. The tank was an alternative design to the tank that was used on the F2A, F6 and the export aircraft.

Gondor

Bascially right.  McClelland in his book on the Lightning has another picture of the aircraft taken closer from the right.  He describes is as a proposed ground attack variant which was proposed to the RAF.  The aircraft is ID'ed as being XN725 and the fins on the fuel tanks are quite visible.  It must have been early in the development of the tanks because he has another picture showing them on trials and the caption states the fins were not found to be necessary.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

chiglet

I had a weeks "Summer Camp" at Binbrook with the ATC. I was talking to the Armament Chiefie about the lack of firepower on the F6. He said that he had a 10 minuet fix......take the wingtip fairing off, and bolt on a couple of sidewinder rails, use the nav light electrics, and job's a good 'un. Did this at Donnington, as a Mk6a, and until it was pointed out, nobody saw the 'winders. Got a stash of the new Mk2a... watch this space

kitnut617

There's a bunch of 3-View drawings in Chris Gibson's book, Battle Flight, showing these tanks.  One even has the elongated ventral tank showing.  The only thing is the drawings are all of two-seat interceptors.  See pages 162 & 163.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike