L

EE Lightning

Started by lancer, May 21, 2003, 08:00:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TallEng

Now there's a thing, what happened to Desert camouflage?
The big transports kept it until fairly late. But the fighters lost it when camouflage returned in place of high speed silver.
Why was that? As far as I know the Aden wing Hunters and other Aircraft based in the Middle East remained in the area except perhaps for major servicing? The Saudi's even trailed desert camouflage on a couple of their Lightnings late on in its career with them. One in all over Middle Stone and Dark earth, the other with 'Sky' underneath.
Of course there's always the 'late' Middle East Desert scheme of Dark Earth over Light Slate Grey with Medium Sea grey undersides, which also didn't hang around long.
What about the PR dedicated Lightnings? PRU Blue all over? All over Sky for the early/late morning/evening over flights?
Or rather everything in the Dark green/Dark Sea Grey silver undersides as per real life?
So many possible answers :thumbsup:  :wacko:
But yes if I do a Lightning FGA.3 then desert camouflage is a distinct possibility  ;)
Regards
Keith
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

McColm

Maybe it's because during a war , plane spotting is a priority using the Mk1 eyeball, but once air superiority has been established being shot down by friendly forces reverts back to more flamboyant colours been worn.

NARSES2

Quote from: TallEng on February 25, 2017, 10:02:26 AM
Now there's a thing, what happened to Desert camouflage?
The big transports kept it until fairly late. But the fighters lost it when camouflage returned in place of high speed silver.
Why was that?

Probably purely down to money. Even if aircraft were assigned to the Middle East there was no guarantee they would stay out there and thus would have to be repainted at a fair old cost for use elsewhere. Also the withdrawal from Empire was going on and everyone knew it would just speed up even if they wouldn't admit it even to themselves.

I've always assumed that cost, together with the relatively small numbers of aircraft the RAF operates with, is one of the reasons why we don't see that many British aircraft in colourful display/commemorative schemes.

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Weaver

Lovely pic of some colourful Lightnings:

Can't remember who posted it to Twitter, but it was probably Lightning Of The Day (@lightningotd ) who's well worth following.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

Superb stuff. It looks like it's impossible to paint a Lightning in a scheme that doesn't suit it.  ;D

All F3s apart from the F2 at the rear, didn't they have a spare F3 to make a full set?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

rickshaw

Quote from: NARSES2 on March 13, 2017, 07:05:34 AM
Lovely photograph

I think it is a Computer Generated painting, Chris, not a photo.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Knightflyer

Quote from: rickshaw on March 13, 2017, 07:45:27 AM
Lovely photograph

I thought it was just a recolourisation of a quite a well known photo? I thought this one, but look at the differences

So a later shot to show an 'updated' fleet, and then recolourised?

Oh to be whiffing again :-(

PR19_Kit

The front one's an F2 in the lower pic too.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

jcf

Lovely photograph

Nope, just an over edited photo. Somebody pushed the saturation up, futzed with the levels and
over used sharpen/unsharp mask filters.

Martin H

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 13, 2017, 08:20:54 AM
The front one's an F2 in the lower pic too.

Kit, If you meant the 5 sqd bird, she's an F-3.
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

Gondor

Quote from: Knightflyer on March 13, 2017, 08:16:35 AM
Lovely photograph

I thought it was just a recolourisation of a quite a well known photo? I thought this one, but look at the differences

So a later shot to show an 'updated' fleet, and then recolourised?

He means in this one OGL.

Front and rear aircraft are F2's, 19 and 92 Squadrons.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Weaver

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on March 13, 2017, 09:14:47 AM
Lovely photograph

Nope, just an over edited photo. Somebody pushed the saturation up, futzed with the levels and
over used sharpen/unsharp mask filters.

To illustrate Jon's point, this took me just over a minute with a free photo-editor programme:

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Captain Canada

That is a great shot ! But somat does look a bit off tho....they're all so shiny  :thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Knightflyer

It certainly made a difference  ;D

Is it just me, or do the 56 squadron check's (chequers / checkers ?) on the tail look 'false' in both the altered and unaltered shots(and I know there not, but I think it's to do with the straight edges / 90 degree angles?)

As for the first one you posted Weaver, were they perhaps trying for an 'oil painting' effect?
Oh to be whiffing again :-(