L

EE Lightning

Started by lancer, May 21, 2003, 08:00:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martin H

Give it an hour and the thread will have drifted even further when us Brits switch to moaning about the weather.  ;D
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

Weaver

Quote from: Martin H on March 15, 2017, 04:22:39 PM
Give it an hour and the thread will have drifted even further when us Brits switch to moaning about the weather.  ;D

It's the only Lightning we'll be seeing until the F-35B gets here...

Badoom tishhhhh
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Weaver on March 15, 2017, 04:32:53 PM

Badoom tishhhhh

And that's not a real Lightning either. REAL Lightnings have two engines, one above the other!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Weaver

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 15, 2017, 04:55:58 PM

Badoom tishhhhh

And that's not a real Lightning either. REAL Lightnings have two engines, one above the other!

The F-35B has two sorta enginey things, and it can put them one above the other easily enough....
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

jcf

'Real' Lightnings do indeed have two engines, one on each wing, and made by Lockheed,
which is why the F-35 is the Lightning II.
Bugger all to do with EE's limited range interceptor.  ;D

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Weaver on March 15, 2017, 04:59:55 PM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 15, 2017, 04:55:58 PM

Badoom tishhhhh

The F-35B has two sorta enginey things, and it can put them one above the other easily enough....

Oh no it hasn't.

There's only one engine and the B has a big shaft thingie sticking out the front that sometimes drives a big fan. That doesn't make it another engine......
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on March 15, 2017, 08:56:09 PM

'Real' Lightnings do indeed have two engines, one on each wing, and made by Lockheed,

A predictable response, just as mine was................

But perhaps the Lightning II should be the Lightning III in RAF Service.

Regards
Kit

rickshaw

Dunno about that Jon.  To me, there really is only one Lightning and it has two jet engines, stacked on a top the other and it climbs vertically at the end of the runway after it's finished it's take off.   Saw it many times on the TV broadcast downunder of Farnborough back in the 60s.   Wonderful!

You know, you'd think the marketing department could come up with something original, rather than repeating well known names like "Lightning" or "Falcon".    :banghead:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

zenrat

Quote from: rickshaw on March 15, 2017, 10:34:51 PM

Dunno about that Jon.  To me, there really is only one Lightning and it has two jet engines, stacked on a top the other and it climbs vertically at the end of the runway after it's finished it's take off.   Saw it many times on the TV broadcast downunder of Farnborough back in the 60s.   Wonderful!

You know, you'd think the marketing department could come up with something original, rather than repeating well known names like "Lightning" or "Falcon".    :banghead:

No.  That would result in the F-35 Planey McPlaneface.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Old Wombat

Quote from: rickshaw on March 15, 2017, 10:34:51 PM

There's your problem, right there! ;D

F-35 Ghost, perhaps? :unsure:

Typical MD original names would probably include wonders like Flyfast, Whizzbang, Zoomer, Quickfire & Dunnohwoddeva. :-\
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Weaver

If anything, the choice of names is getting more restricted, since the Americans at least seem to think supernatural names are out of order these days - look at what happened to the various USN squadrons that had to change their names. Good luck getting another Phantom, Demon, or Banshee past the gatekeepers.... :rolleyes:

I'm waiting with bated breath for the Cultural Appropriation Police to get stuck into the US Army's Native American helicopter names.... :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

- Indiana Jones

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 15, 2017, 09:57:56 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on March 15, 2017, 07:10:11 AM

As I now have the bus pass, rail pass and O.A.P. payment I can't really argue Martin  ;)

Yeah, it's GREAT 'innit?  ;D

And the Winter Fuel Supplement too?

Forgot that. Comes in just in time for Christmas  :thumbsup:

As for names. The RAF doesn't have to use the US given name. We could call it something else. Given we used Kestrel and Harrier, how about Kite or Peregrine ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

DarrenP2

or as it was refered to on PPrune forum.....Dave which I think is a much better name

NARSES2

Quote from: DarrenP2 on March 16, 2017, 07:42:20 AM
or as it was refered to on PPrune forum.....Dave which I think is a much better name

Ah but given the age we live in perhaps even serial numbers as Dave and odd as Doris ?  ;) And no I'm not saying women are odd.....not in public anyway  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

DarrenP2

What do the germans call their Eurofighter as i suspect they won't be keen on Typhoons? ;D