L

EE Lightning

Started by lancer, May 21, 2003, 08:00:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcf

Quote from: DarrenP2 on March 17, 2017, 08:17:24 AM
What do the germans call their Eurofighter as i suspect they won't be keen on Typhoons? ;D
EF-2000

Weaver

What do the germans call their Eurofighter as i suspect they won't be keen on Typhoons? ;D

And yet IIRC, Typhoon was chosen specifically not to offend them. Should just have gone ahead and called it the Hurricane... :wacko:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

The AF is already calling their F-35Bs 'Lightnings'. They're referred to as such in the 2017 RAF Yearbook.

I heard some Luftwaffe Typhoon crews at RIAT last year referring to their mounts as 'Taifuns'. I nearly said 'I didn't know the Me-108 was still in service....'  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Martin H

Quote from: Weaver on March 17, 2017, 03:18:15 PM

And yet IIRC, Typhoon was chosen specifically not to offend them. Should just have gone ahead and called it the Hurricane... :wacko:

I read the name was chosen as it sounds very similar in all four languages of the consortium participants.
Despite that,  the UK press kept pointing out the previous Tyhpoon was used to great effect against the Germans. And the name would be in their ( the uk press) opinion bound to offend them.
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

Weaver

Quote from: Martin H on March 18, 2017, 11:41:43 AM

I read the name was chosen as it sounds very similar in all four languages of the consortium participants.
Despite that,  the UK press kept pointing out the previous Tyhpoon was used to great effect against the Germans. And the name would be in their ( the uk press) opinion bound to offend them.

Yes, one of the press's great public duties is to tell people that they're supposed to be offended when they're too stupid or apathetic to realise it for themselves... :banghead:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Weaver on March 18, 2017, 01:41:15 PM
Quote from: Martin H on March 18, 2017, 11:41:43 AM

Yes, one of the press's great public duties is to tell people that they're supposed to be offended when they're too stupid or apathetic to realise it for themselves... :banghead:

Can we be offended about that bunch of prats that call themselves 'the press'?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

jcf

rickshaw

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 18, 2017, 01:52:36 PM

We should always remember that the roll of the media is to stoke contraversy, that way there is more demand for the real content that the media sells - advertising and more people will read/watch it...   :banghead:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

jcf

Quote from: rickshaw on March 18, 2017, 10:32:02 PM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 18, 2017, 01:52:36 PM

We should always remember that the roll of the media is to stoke contraversy, that way there is more demand for the real content that the media sells - advertising and more people will read/watch it...   :banghead:

'If it bleeds, it leads'.

Weaver

Modern newsroom agenda:

Bad News is good news (for us)
No News is bad news (for us)
Good News is no news (for us)

- Indiana Jones

NARSES2

I was told a story about the choice of name years ago in the pub by a guy who worked for BAe (their HO was opposite our office in Carlton House Terrace at the time) but unfortunately there is no way I can repeat it here.  ;) No idea how true it is but you can ask me at any show you see me at.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: NARSES2 on March 19, 2017, 06:27:02 AM
I was told a story about the choice of name years ago in the pub by a guy who worked for BAe (their HO was opposite our office in Carlton House Terrace at the time) but unfortunately there is no way I can repeat it here.  ;) No idea how true it is but you can ask me at any show you see me at.

You could PM all of us with it.................  ;D ;)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 19, 2017, 08:32:03 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on March 19, 2017, 06:27:02 AM

You could PM all of us with it.................  ;D ;)

Yea and have GCHQ put the boys in smart suits on to me  :mellow:

I'll tell you at MK, remind me. Albeit as MK is just up the road from Bletchley Park I'd better whisper  ;)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

McColm

The original name for the F-22 was the Lightning until they changed it to the Raptor.
Should have kept the name Sea Harrier for the  F-35B and F-35C.

DarrenP2

corsair for the f35c & B