Tracked HMMWV

Started by frank2056, March 20, 2010, 08:56:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frank2056

Weaver's Trackrover was a real inspiration, so I though I's steal his idea.
Do you guys know that the HMMWV (4.6 m) is almost as long as the M-113 (4.863 m)?
I didn't, but I conveniently have an old Italeri M998 kit and an even older, much abused Italeri M113. So after some disassembly, and slicing the M113 body down the middle this is what I ended up with, as my starting point:

Taped together (for starters):

I think the doors will be gull winged, and there'll be a hump in the rear for some extra gear and crew. That's what I have so far - I'm going to work on securing the hull at the correct width next.

Frank

Ed S

Interesting. It might work as an artillery tractor or hauling a SAM trailer.

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

puddingwrestler

I did something like this a while back as an item of wargames terrain, using a toy Hummer H2 and a shortened 1/35 T34 chassis - only had to cut one road wheel out and it was a perfect fit. Then I modified it all a bit so it looked orky, fitted roof racks ad surf boards, cut the tracks and finished the whole thing up as a wrekc driven into a sand dune...
There are no good kits, bad kits or grail kits, just kitbash fodder.

Doc Yo

neat concept! reminds me a little of one of the old soviet artillery tractors.

frank2056

Quote from: Doc Yo on March 24, 2010, 02:48:09 PM
neat concept! reminds me a little of one of the old soviet artillery tractors.

That's sort of what I had in mind.

I've widened and stiffened the M113 lower hull and it's pretty sturdy now. I'm still trying to figure out a good upper hull scheme taht doesn't completely hide the HMMWV origins.

dragon

Interesting. :thumbsup:
However I am trying to figure out where one would use a beast like that....I suppose there are no roads there....Perhaps some sort of rescue/police vehicle used by the UN/NATO in a disaster/very primitive zone?
Maybe a department of forestry vehicle?
:tank:   
"As long as people are going to call you a lunatic anyway, why not get the benefits of it?  It liberates you from convention."- from the novel WICKED by Gregory Maguire.

"I must really be crazy to be in a looney bin like this" - Jack Nicholson in the movie ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST

frank2056

Quote from: dragon on March 24, 2010, 05:35:25 PM

However I am trying to figure out where one would use a beast like that....I suppose there are no roads there....Perhaps some sort of rescue/police vehicle used by the UN/NATO in a disaster/very primitive zone?
Maybe a department of forestry vehicle?

Maybe a quick repair tractor, or an off-road (as in desert or jungle) special forces recon vehicle? They don't have to get there in too big of a hurry, but they have to get there and back. Without the weight of the M113 superstructure, it could go faster, too.

puddingwrestler

Oh come now; think of how well it'd sell to rappers and pimps. Hell, show that to any fourteen to sixteen year old boy and he'd want one.
There are no good kits, bad kits or grail kits, just kitbash fodder.

ysi_maniac

This is a very happy idea :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :wub:
Will die without understanding this world.

Sauragnmon

This has some definitely interesting promise to it.  Looking forward to more of this.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

Joe C-P

Quote from: Ed S on March 20, 2010, 09:15:46 PM
Interesting. It might work as an artillery tractor or hauling a SAM trailer.

Ed

A replacement for the old M5 artillery tractor, perhaps, as ammo carrier for an SPG.
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

Weaver

Nice one Frank!  :thumbsup:  I can never get over how small the M113 is: it looks TINY compared to a lot of other APCs/IFVs.

Quote from: puddingwrestler on March 25, 2010, 02:05:00 AM
Oh come now; think of how well it'd sell to rappers and pimps. Hell, show that to any fourteen to sixteen year old boy and he'd want one.

You could always give it S-Tank-style hydrogas suspension and get it bouncin' to da beat..... :mellow:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

frank2056

Quote from: Weaver on April 07, 2010, 08:53:31 PM
I can never get over how small the M113 is: it looks TINY compared to a lot of other APCs/IFVs.

I was stopped behind a HMMWV the other day... they're huge. The M113 almost looks smaller (even though they're roughly the same width & length).

I'll post more WIP pics this weekend; I had a couple of nephews (5 & 7) visiting last week, so I had to hide and secure a lot of my modeling supplies and models in progress.

anthonyp

Tracked HMMWV?  You mean like this?

;D
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

John Howling Mouse

I like where this is going....What scale is this (sorry, if I missed that)?
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.