Tracked HMMWV

Started by frank2056, March 20, 2010, 08:56:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frank2056

Quote from: John Howling Mouse on April 24, 2010, 11:08:44 AM
I like where this is going....What scale is this (sorry, if I missed that)?

Barry, It's in 1/35 - using the less than wonderful Italeri M998 and an old Italeri M113 (which was a good kit).

I haven't had much time in the last 2-3 weeks to work on my whiffs, but this is where this project is right now:

I'm not sure if I'm going to add the doors, or modify the rear and give it a flat rear wall. The roof is just on, so that's why it looks skewed. I still have a lot of PSR to do (not Sotoolslinger levels of PSR, but still a lot).

Frank

frank2056

Doesn't look like much, but I've made some progress on this. First, I removed the top from the rear roof and added support beams for the roof and what are now armor shields in the cargo section. I also did some work on the hood (or bonnet...):

I didn't like the original doors, so I made single, armored crew doors that'll swing up (and down) with hydraulics. I'll display them in the open position. They still need a lot of work:

Here's the heavily modified VIP from the Trumpeter PMC in Iraq set, next to the vehicle - "I'm not getting in that thing!"

The Trumpeter PMC figures aren't their worst, but they are very bad. Out of the box and with no properly proportioned figures from other makers nearby, they look OK, but they are too short for the scale and the feet are far too big for 1/35. The heads are poorly (embarrassingly so) sculpted and lumpy and the hands are deformed. The arms are too long in some of the figures.
My modifications include a roughly 1mm increase in height (at the waist) to make him look almost average height at 1/35 scale. I also slightly shortened the arms and trimmed and resculpted the shoes to make them look less like clown shoes. The head is a modified Warriors bald head. I added the hair with MagicSculp. It's not my best painting job, but it's OK.

Doc Yo

people! Not a decent right-angle on 'em anywhere...

Figures are my least favorite part of any build, but you've definately put in the extra mile with this one.
The hair looks really good.

frank2056

Quote from: Doc Yo on May 11, 2010, 09:33:37 AM
people! Not a decent right-angle on 'em anywhere...

Figures are my least favorite part of any build, but you've definately put in the extra mile with this one.
The hair looks really good.

Thanks Craig - the concept behind the PMC figures is great... but the execution offended my sensibilities and I was just compelled to fix them up. Getting good skin tones is tough! The hair was fun, though. Not only did I give him a receding hairline, I gave him a bald spot, too.

nev

This is a cool idea, and I approve :thumbsup:
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Swanny

Great idea, an all terrain chopped top Hummer!

Taiidantomcat

"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

frank2056

Which looks better?

Hard top:

or

Convertible:

The biggest advantage of the hardtop is much, much less interior (cargo, etc.) to build up.
I still have a lot to do to finish - add the interior, tracks, exterior doodads and the hardest part of all - figuring out a paint scheme.

Taiidantomcat

With the top looks good to me. I think it is more eye catching that way.  :thumbsup:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

nev

Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Doc Yo

Hardtop, definately. As to color scheme, I can't get the image of the old pink and white stripped "tourist
jeeps" of the 'sixties out of my head lately.

This is a great neat concept-wish I'd had a couple of these on that last trip to Pellucidar...

cthulhu77

Very nice work. Yeah, those figures are a bugger all.  I'd go with the hardtop as well.

Army of One

Hardtop....!! Lovely work as well..... :thumbsup:
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

sotoolslinger

That is one effin cool vehicle right there :wub: :thumbsup: oh and hardtop :party:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

Jeffry Fontaine

Quote from: frank2056 on June 13, 2010, 07:33:49 PM
Which looks better?

Hard top: or Convertible:

Convertible of course!  Not that I was ever enamored with that version of the HMMWV to start with.  That extended cover over the cargo section always looked awkward and it restricted the field of fire for the cupola mounted gun at close range and depression angles.  If you opt for the convertible version it might not be a bad thing to cut down the side walls and make them even with the roof line over the main cab section. 

Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg