WHIFS found while Google-ing

Started by Spey_Phantom, March 23, 2010, 01:41:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

Is that an aeroplane or a heater?  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Cliffy B

"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."
-Tom Clancy

"Radial's Growl, Inline's Purr, Jet's Suck!"
-Anonymous

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."
-Anonymous

RotorheadTX

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 14, 2010, 01:33:54 PM

Hand-drier for large crowds; in the loo @ NHL, NFL, and F1 events!  :blink:

Weaver

Follow the link people - it's already flown on a UAV......

Another link: http://www.fanwing.com/desc.htm

UAV link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asJqvrikQSA
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

FAR148

JASDF Gripen :wub:

Brazilian Rafale

Steven L   :ph34r:

sotoolslinger

I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

RotorheadTX

Quote from: Weaver on November 14, 2010, 06:58:46 PM
Follow the link people - it's already flown on a UAV......
UAV link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asJqvrikQSA

Well, that IS interesting.... but it need some serious armchair-quarterbacking! :wacko:

First off, that inverted squirrel-cage/reel lawn-mower thing has got to be guarded - it's a safety hazard.
Get in touch with the boys at Dyson - I'm sure they can improve the aerodynamics for you (after 5,127 prototypes.)
Get on with it then, or bird strikes will be messy.

Second, wouldn't it make more sense to have the ailerons in the normal position, so they are in the entrained airflow of the upper wing, not out there on the tips?? Where they are now, they still could be stalled, not so if in the airflow.

With the right kind of headwind, this thing should be capable of a near hover.... with the right CFD work, that squirrel-cage could be made nearly silent.... where's the stabilized optics turret for beach-front 'surveillance'?  :cheers:

Weaver

Quote from: sotoolslinger on November 15, 2010, 04:47:05 PM
Dang that Rafale is pretty :wub: :thumbsup:

Excellent image too - makes the heart race just looking at it too!  :thumbsup:

- Indiana Jones

chrisonord

That flying fan heater reminds me of something that was around when I was a kid, it was like a cross between a kite and a glider, and you pulled it along the ground on a string into the wind and it took off and sat in the air like a kite. Looks like someone took the idea that bit further then :blink:
That Rafale is just too gorgeous to be left in picture form, looks lik the Honduras air force will be getting one or 2 after all, or perhaps another member to the anti cartel coalition. I keep going back to that and looking at it :wub: :wub:
Chris.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Weaver

Quote from: chrisonord on November 16, 2010, 08:27:59 AM
That flying fan heater reminds me of something that was around when I was a kid, it was like a cross between a kite and a glider, and you pulled it along the ground on a string into the wind and it took off and sat in the air like a kite. Looks like someone took the idea that bit further then :blink:

Yeah, I think I had one of those: white, made of foam?

It had S-section wings that rotated backwards in the wind. Basically, it was a kite, but with wind-driven gyroscopic stability. Good fun, but fragile.

The RC community seems to have picked up on the concept: put "rotoplane" into google.

- Indiana Jones

James

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 14, 2010, 01:33:54 PM

Indeed. Certainly a dragmaster! Not the sleekest of designs.

Green Dragon

Anyone seen a pic of the Space Plane from CSI Miami?
Been googling but nothing so far. It's based on a Gulfstream 3/4 with tail fins similar to the Stark 737 from Iron Man plus Challenger style high bypass turbofan engines, a rear airlock where the tail cone would be with (I think) a couple(?) of rocket engines either side of the flat airlock area.

Paul Harrison
"Well, it's rather brutal here. Right now we are advising all our clients to put everything they've got into canned food and shotguns."-Gremlins 2

On the bench.
1/72 Space 1999 Eagle, Comet Miniatures Martian War Machine
1/72nd Quad Tilt Rotor, 1/144th V/STOL E2 Hawkeye (stalled)

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]