WHIFS found while Google-ing

Started by Spey_Phantom, March 23, 2010, 01:41:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sequoiaranger

re: a four-engined Mossie--I did that in 1/72 scale years back, basically using a 1/48 Mossie fuselage with 1/72 Lanc wings:

As for the ten-engined Lanc, how in the world would that wing be able to support all those heavy engines so far out on the wing?? Nice "visual" whiff, though, but not well-engineered aeronautically!
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

Geoff

Quote from: sequoiaranger on August 20, 2011, 09:18:12 AM
As for the ten-engined Lanc, how in the world would that wing be able to support all those heavy engines so far out on the wing?? Nice "visual" whiff, though, but not well-engineered aeronautically!

A Zweilling? :banghead: :banghead: ;D :drink: :drink: :thumbsup:

Weaver

re: a four-engined Mossie--I did that in 1/72 scale years back, basically using a 1/48 Mossie fuselage with 1/72 Lanc wings:

Nice Mossie!  :thumbsup:

On the ten-engined Lanc, I don't think it'd struggle at all in the air: having the weight spread along the wing actually reduced stress on the spars because it reduces the bending moment at the root, and there's plenty of wing outboard of the outermost engine to hold it up. On the ground, it depends entirely on the undercarriage arrangement. If it's only got wheels under the inner engines, then yep, fair point. I'd suggest that it would need main u/c under at least engines 1 and 3 on each wing, and that raises some interesting ground-handing issues on WWII airfields....
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Kerrillc

Am I correct in thinking that the Lincoln, being larger than the Lancaster used side tracking rollers to slide the aircraft into the hangers they were stored in. So could the 10 engined machine be maneuvered in the same way?

Referring back to the painting of the 10 engined Lancaster project, that artwork certainly looks similar to the art of John Dell. Any thoughts folks?
If I am targetted by JMNs, I'm in good Company.

No, no, no! You do not die for your country, you make the other one die!

GTX

The peasants demand more photos
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

raafif

you may as well all give up -- the truth is much stranger than fiction.

I'm not sick ... just a little unwell.

dumaniac

long wings - 10 donks - I would not worry about the wings and weight - show me the fuel tank!!

it must have a range of 20 km

but a great whif - maybe I could make a He111-Y - the 10 engined bomber -

must admit I have made some plans for a 4 engined He 111 in 48 scale - but this is   ....   well ........

Stargazer

Introducing Russell Chmela's great models:

More pics at his gallery, and more to come:
http://russc1.deviantart.com/gallery/

tanktastic43

Maverick

Seriously nice stuff, the wings are awesome.

Thanks for sharing.

Regards,

Mav

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Strewth, that guys got some talent!

And however BIG is that United wingliner? The SM55 behind it isn't a small model, and the wingliner dwarfs it!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

MilitaryAircraft101

Does that bloke like flying wings by any chance...  ;D Very cool models!

McColm

philp

The airliner is 1/288th, the other with it is a diecast.

Looked at the rest of his stuff, mostly 1/144th.

Also, invite sent.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies