WHIFS found while Google-ing

Started by Spey_Phantom, March 23, 2010, 01:41:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

perttime

Quote from: Stargazer2006 on April 05, 2012, 04:09:37 AM
Ah... but these are NOT whifs per se.
Perhaps not.
I mainly see them as inspiration for whiffing: what if they built it and it served in (insert country), or as starting points for drawing something.

pyro-manic

I'd say they're What-ifs - they don't exist!
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

RussC

Quote from: pyro-manic on April 05, 2012, 11:11:14 AM
I'd say they're What-ifs - they don't exist!

My take on it as well. If it died at the wind tunnel stage or mockups, its a whif. And since the stages of development after mockup are still huge, we have full leeway/license to add and subtract anything we can brain-fart. :thumbsup:
"Build what YOU want, the way YOU want to"  - Al Superczynski

Tophe

The SecretProjects website think such subject is their speciality, when non-industrial dream is the true meaning of what-if. I don't know.
http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

martinbayer

Have to concur with Pyro-maniac and Russ here - in my understanding anything that never rolled, floated, flew or otherwise made it into full scale reality in the form shown as a model makes that model a Whif as in "what if this had happened (or will happen) in the real world?", irrespective of the origin of the concept - see the discussion on the same topic in this thread: http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,25948.0/. I simply view Secretprojects as one of the many excellent online inspiration sources for creating whifs ;D.

Martin
Would be marching to the beat of his own drum, if he didn't detest marching to any drumbeat at all so much.

CANSO

Found this nice illustration today.

A whatif kamikaze from August 1938 - bailing out during a vertical dive and this with a rubber boat attached is sci-fi enough to me! :blink:

RussC

Quote from: CANSO on April 09, 2012, 05:42:32 PM
Found this nice illustration today.
A whatif kamikaze from August 1938 - bailing out during a vertical dive and this with a rubber boat attached is sci-fi enough to me! :blink:

To say nothing of hitting a moving ship while probably viewing through a 10x telescope with the field of view of a soda-straw.

Azon was a much better idea, as was Hs 293.

Makes you wonder if the designers of the Ohka had a subscription to Modern Mechanix !

But it does have a Flash Gordon charm to it. I'm sure Biggles could have made a manuscript about it.

PR19_Kit

I wonder if they planned on telling the pilot exactly where the detonator was relative to vital parts of his body.....................?  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

CANSO

Quote from: RussC on April 09, 2012, 08:03:25 PM...To say nothing of hitting a moving ship while probably viewing through a 10x telescope with the field of view of a soda-straw.
And just don't think of a situation when some clouds under 10.000 feet obscure the target. The bomb pilot will probably frantically "jump" in the sky from left to right, looking trough that straw and still not finding the object... ;D ;D

philp

How about a different kind of Greyhound.

Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

Spey_Phantom

on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Go4fun

Quote from: philp on April 10, 2012, 10:19:21 PM
How about a different kind of Greyhound.

I'm loving it! Especially the welcome sign.  ;D
"Just which planet are you from again"?

RussC

Quote from: Nils on May 09, 2012, 10:16:44 AM
i found this nice 1/144 Aussie F-106 while googling :)

http://forum.avionslegendaires.net/viewtopic.php?t=8465&p=76338

Very nice. It looks like one of those f-toys collectors kits repainted and re-marked. Although opening up the weapons bay and adding falcons is an extra step, for either the collectors kit or the Revell kit.

RussC

Found this while surfing. Looks like the Skunk Works is thinking of going into executive transports.